Big Babies

lizvilla

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
not actually pregnant, but am wondering if a similar incident might happen with my next pregnancy, when I do decide to get pregnant. I had to have an emergency c-section, because my son's head was too large(total weight was 10lbs 9ounces!!!). He had descended as much as he possibly could, but in the end, I had to have an emerge c-section, because of this. Are the chances greater for my next baby having a large head?? I was hoping to be able to have a VBAC. Should I talk to my health visitor team?? Thanks in advance :)

Did they tell you why he was a big baby? Was it GD? Does it run in the family? Are you and dp really tall? If there's no medical reason for big baby then I know loads of people whose second was smaller than their first (though of course there's loads the other way too!). If I were you I'd make an appointment to discuss it with your community midwife as she should have access to your records.

I had a 52 hour labour with my first, he got stuck. Ended up being prepped for a emergency section. But they managed to get him out after 2 failed ventouse, episiotomy, forceps and a 3rd degree tear. Poor baby had his shoulder dislocated and pretty banged up in general. He was 9lb3, but too big for me! I saw a consultant after who said any future births would have to be by c-section. To be honest it freaked me out, but I ended up having an elective section with my daughter and it was great. She was heading for 10lb so they delivered her 10 days early at 8lb4. I'm now 17 weeks pregnant with my 3rd, and m section is already booked.

I also had additional scans to check the size of my baby, which you would definitely be offered having a big baby. You could see how baby grows before you decide.

they should give you extra scans etc.
ive just had my 2nd baby on monday, my first was 10lb 14oz delivered naturally after a couple of hours pushing, she was back to back and it was hard but i managed it. this time baby came after literally 30 mins pushing if that and she weighed 9lb 11.5oz, again delivered naturally with just gas and air. i had extra scans and diabetes tests etc but they were only going to give me a sweep at 5 days overdue since id managed the first baby. they should be more vigilant with you after the difficulties the ffirst time

they should give you extra scans etc.
ive just had my 2nd baby on monday, my first was 10lb 14oz delivered naturally after a couple of hours pushing, she was back to back and it was hard but i managed it. this time baby came after literally 30 mins pushing if that and she weighed 9lb 11.5oz, again delivered naturally with just gas and air. i had extra scans and diabetes tests etc but they were only going to give me a sweep at 5 days overdue since id managed the first baby. they should be more vigilant with you after the difficulties the ffirst time

Congratulations bev, i didnt realise you had your baby! Nice weight again, well done you! Hope you and the girls are all well x

Hi there, obviously it depends on your physical capabilities but my midwife told me that 9/10llb babies are definitely not the exception.

I'm a size 12 normally, & my first baby was 9llb 9.5oz, & my second was 9llb 3.5oz. Both delivered naturally, no drugs/ interventions, my second was a water birth. So big babies are not a red flag. My midwife said that gravity actually works in your favour with a bigger child:)

I have big babies, my last baby girl was 10lb 4oz delivery was normal. Im being given extra scans as each baby has grown by 1lb. I'm really hoping to be induced early or on my due date as they have left me to go over twice 10 and 12 days and it was awful.
I have my diabetes test at 28 weeks and an extra scan at 34 weeks but I personally feel that I shouldn't be left to go over causing my babies to get so big. I keep getting told you managed to have your previous babies ok so we will see how we go. xx

I'm Nearly 9 weeks pregnant and my son was 10lb 8oz delivered by forceps we were one push away from having a c section, my god I couldn't sit down, stand up or walk for 2 weeks after!! I must be mad doing it again but praying this one isn't a week late and a nice small baby!! Haha!! X

Last edited:
I have a question that has been playing on my mind regarding babies weight. My Oh is 6ft4 and is well built (not in the fat way :-0, he just has a natural Rugby player physic way) and everyone keeps joking that the baby will be really big. Perhaps a stupid question but are they able to tell the rough weight of the baby before its born?

My oh isn't big but he was 10lb when he was born so I still blame him! I had my midwife appointment on monday and since max was so big I'm classed as high risk so will have growth scans later on and they won't let me go over my due date!

i was a size 6 and pushed out a 10lb 4oz!!! Charlotte was measuring mahhooossiveee all the way through my pregnancy and they did nothing about it. they finally decided to induce me at 40+1.
you can always ask for a c section cant you? (im not sure) xxx

Everyone kept telling me I was having a big baby, all oh's family were over 10lb & my oh is 6ft5. Even the obstetrician told me to stop eating ice lollies because lo was getting big! He arrived 10 days early weighing 7lb15, so not big at all! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back