Bfing in public

pinkyprincess

Reaction score
We're going on holiday next week.

I think we all know that if someone tried to get me to move on while bfing my child they'd get some pretty harsh words.

Because we're going to be away from 'home soil' and my OH has issues about me feeding in public i'm starting to feel slightly more nervous about it BUT there is no way I'd ever feed my child in a toilet and I don't want to be shamed into the car. Having said all this I've never been stopped!

Has anyone been asked to move on? What was your response?

Any ideas from bfers and non bfers what you think the best way to go about it, flat out refuse? Quote the law? Threaten to call the police? Ignore them?

I'm only asking as I'm worried about the support I'd get from my bfing-phobe OH should a confrontation happen.

Swear words would definitely leave my mouth if someone started to even begin to tell me to move. There are probably better more diplomatic ways to deal with the issue but this subject always gets my goat. Tell them if they don't like it to call the police and see how far that gets them.
Are you going abroad? I find that people from other countries can be less judgemental than here x

I'm a non bf but I'd be horrified if someone tried to move/stop a bf mummy! I'd probably end up having words! I think the best thing is to stay calm, know your rights and present them to the person calmly and rationally.

Swear words would definitely leave my mouth if someone started to even begin to tell me to move. There are probably better more diplomatic ways to deal with the issue but this subject always gets my goat. Tell them if they don't like it to call the police and see how far that gets them.
Are you going abroad? I find that people from other countries can be less judgemental than here x

Swanage. I think my OH would get embarrassed if I went off on one. He could surprise me tho!

Obviously this is a worst case scenario,

Like Cos said if you're abroad then they are normally more accepting! Our society can be very prudish lol

I would tell them politely that I'm not moving! If they carry on then I would tell them to report me lol again like cos said they aren't gonna get far with the police lol x

Seriously????? I see girls breast feeding all over here in Norway?
I would just tell them of they dont like it to move on....
Some people can completely be idiots really....
As about oh... My oh already said that he Dosent want me to bf in public when the time comes. My response to him is then you have 2 options to not look or not come with me because I am doing it...
They will get used to it really of not that's only their problem.

I'd politely tell them it's illegal to ask a nursing mum to move on. And if they don't like it they can go else where.

(only reason I'm saying it politely this way is cos ur oh might be nervous - otherwise I'd give them a mouthful. Lol)

I've never had confrontation, but we were in costa the other day, I'd gone to counter and G was with her godmother and started creating to be fed, and the ladies at the next table apparently said 'if that child's going to be fed naturally I'm out of here'

Good job they had gone by time I got back to the table!!!!

I'd politely tell them it's illegal to ask a nursing mum to move on. And if they don't like it they can go else where.

(only reason I'm saying it politely this way is cos ur oh might be nervous - otherwise I'd give them a mouthful. Lol)

I've never had confrontation, but we were in costa the other day, I'd gone to counter and G was with her godmother and started creating to be fed, and the ladies at the next table apparently said 'if that child's going to be fed naturally I'm out of here'

Good job they had gone by time I got back to the table!!!!

Oh my god! Not being Funny it's not as though when you're breast feeding you wap you whole breast out for everyone to see is it? (well I don't ;-) )

I haven't yet done too much BFing in public but I think if anyone said anything to me I'd just be saying that I'm well within my rights and of they don't like it they can move on.

I do wish it wasn't such a taboo thing with people then I'm sure more people would breast feed.

At the moment I am kinda timing going out for after he's fed but I don't want to do that forever!!

I think I would give someone the eye and not say a thing if someone came to me and asked me to leave. I often think not reacting to things at all gives out a powerful message tbh.

My oh would probably get very cross bordering on violent if someone asked me to move

I would also my angry if a bf mum was told to move. Asking as ur discreet which all bf mums that I have seen are then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not bf but I would say politely that I appreciate everyone has their own view but I have every right to feed my baby however I choose where I choose.

I personally don't mind mummy's feeding as long as dignity is maintained and it is not in a totally antisocial place. I really don't like when full on boob action is exposed in public, especially when there is some really lovely wraps that are available.

I think until all this negativity against bfing on public goes people are going to put put off.

I would properly ask them to call the police and we'll get their opinion lol! I can just see my OH calling me melodramatic.

We were out at a retail park on Saturday and decided to go for a coffee and I pointed out Tyler was due a feed in the next half and hour. He said 'I don't want you feeding in public here' I just looked at him and said 'we'll your gonna have to get used to it as we're going on holiday next week. You should feel proud'

He told me I was being a hero and went off in a grump :roll:

I'm very clumsy about it still, I'm sure everyone would see everything :(

I fed in the car in the B&Q car park the other day, big thing for me as I dread feeding in public. Vince does like to kick, pull hair, pull nipple till it's a foot long, etc. Can be a bit of a nightmare, would not emjoy dealing with one of those feeds with people staring at us.

Now he's also started having social feeds, where he wants to chat with his mouth full!

Last edited:
:holly:I've never been asked to "move on" and i've always got my milk mountains out. I'm not sure what i'd do if asked. Probably ask if they prefer to listen to a screaming baby, most people would opt for the boob flash!

I was watching the London marathon a couple of weeks ago and some young girls were talking about how "gross" BF in public was. Unfortunate for them it was time for Tom's feed so I sat on the curb (classy) and started to feed him. I dont think they even noticed. I put my hand over my boob, so you can't really see it anyway. But im sure they would have been the ones walking away.

Another BF story that I'm pleased to regale is feeding on a flight back from Los Angeles last week. I looked up and there was Tim Vincent sitting opposite me giving me a smile!!! I almost died. He looked so fit haha.

I BF anywhere if needs be, it's the most natural thing in the world. I don't think OH likes it that much but it's tough shit.

Have a nice holiday and don't worry, just role your eyes if anyone protests (including OH).

I think its tough sh*t if your OH or ppl on holiday dont like it, do whatever you want, i'm sure your discreet anyway, whenever i've seen anyone bf'ing i've not seen any boob, you see more boob out in ppl's front gardens whenever there is a lil bit of sunshine. If anyone approached me i'd say thats none of your business if you have a prob get the police. And your OH, well stand your ground & dont agree to BF somewhere hidden coz then he'll think he can keep doing it, stand your ground from day 1.

Have a good holiday

xxxxxx

I want someone to try and move me on. I've got a lot of anger bottled up that needs to be let out and I can be very loud. Would probably squirt the f**kers in the eye with my boob juice.

My friend was asked to move on by a shop assistant in Debenhams & she was furious & told all her breast feeding friends & baby groups & they arranged a 'feed in' where loads of them turned up at Debenhams at the same time & fed their babies! It was on the news!
I think if i was asked to stop I'd point out that it is illegal to ask a breastfeeding mum to stop, OH is very supportive of me feeding in public and he's way more confrontational than I am so I'd leave the rest to him!

Is it really illegal? I never knew!

I'd tell them to fuck right off if it was me, BF or FF. No one has any right to do that, people smoke, spit, swear in the street and people hardly bat an eyelid nowadays, so why would any sane human being want to stop a mother feeding her child? I went to a baby group here and about 4/10 of the women were BF, 1 of which practically had her boob hanging out and do you know what, I didn't even notice until she nodded down and said how greedy he was lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back