Back to square one with bedding!

amandapanda

Reaction score
Well I thought I was sorted and had bought 4 fitted sheets, 2 cellular blankets and 2 sleep bags. Put up the crib on Saturday night and have found the fitted sheets don't bleedin fit! Despite being a standard crib size from Mothercare...I guess my crib is a little bigger than standard! So that was a complete waste of money! Can't return them as I've washed them. And then midwife visited yesterday for a home assessment and said I can't use sleep bags until baby is a few months old as they can wriggle down and suffocate! She said I need bottom sheet, 1 or 2 top sheets and blanket...all tucked in. So I'm back to square one really....gonna just buy flat sheets so I know they'll fit and a couple more blankets I think.....more to add to my ever growing last minute shopping list!! xx

Last edited:
Awww noooo!!! How annoying!! My mw doesn't do a home assessment so as annoying as it is, it's great that she was able to advise you about the sheets and stuff. It's helped me too cos now I know!

xx

I had sleeping bags from early on - you can buy ones that are suitable from birth...not sure where from as we were given 2 and a friend now has them, but there's no way they could get down inside them - the holes for their head and arms are small enough for it to stay in place, and they seriously don't move at all at first anyway! x

Well mine does say 0-6 months and he's gonna be a big boy so might see how it fits...like you say as long as it fits round the head and arms they're in pretty tight....

I'd try it on - there is honestly no way mine could have ended up inside one! And if you put them in it at the bottom of the crib they can't wriggle down anyway x

Oh it gets so confusing!!!! So what do we do about Moses basket. Will she need a top sheet in that as well as a blanket? If so I need flat sheets too. I have a couple of sleeping bags and I'm buying one from erin as well. I'm sure my friend used hers from about 3 weeks.
X

They say that but i used one from birth I got from m&s as long as the neck bit is big enough to fit but not too big they can wriggle down my mw said it was fine to use x

I never used top sheets with either of mine in moses basket or crib (they didn't go in sleeping bags for naps during the day) - just had cellular blankets and if it was cold they had another blanket (they're not very thick) and an extra layer of clothing - long sleeved vest top under sleepsuit x

Thanks Meeah and Sams Mum :)

You get told so much different advice!

Amanda maybe you could sell your sheets on here??

x

oh god im lost with all this sheet stuff lol!

I have a blanket, a quilt - which i think you tuck in? and a fairly thick sheet which i guess is a top sheet?

Lol i sound so clueless! :shock:

Honestly wait and see what the babies like once he's here. They were determined to swaddle h in hospital but he hated it and managed to break free (and they managed to bring on a heat rash by wrapping him in 4 blankets!!!) but mine is such a warm baby he hates having too many covers and crys if hes too hot!! I put him to bed with a cellular blanket and he ends up kicking it right off but hes not cold!!1

I have sleep bags and they have an extra popper in the armholes to make them smaller? they say suitable from birth to 6 months but baby has to weigh at least 5.5 lbs

I never knew they weren't supposed to be in the sleeping bags from birth, i think i used mine with my last baby at about 2 weeks old but i didnlt get it till he was 2 weeks old and no way he could wriggle down in it. everything changes so much from one year to the next, with the others i just used blankets aswell never had a top sheet just a bottom one. like othrs have said see what baby like

never used sleeping bags so wouldnt know tbh im a swaddler lol

oh god im lost with all this sheet stuff lol!

I have a blanket, a quilt - which i think you tuck in? and a fairly thick sheet which i guess is a top sheet?

Lol i sound so clueless! :shock:

Just to confuse you even more Cherelle....you can't use a quilt until they are over 12 months old.....due to overheating I believe.....

I am clueless too really...just think I am there and then I'm back to square one, it's a nightmare! I've told my friend that on the first day I bring him home she can come round and tuck him in and check he's not too hot or cold because I haven't a clue, lol xx

Im guessing the midwives will advise me before i leave hospital with him? I dont know how so many mothers get by without all this info to hand! I guess the health visitors play a big part in advising you on stuff like this? x

yeah the quilts shouldnt be used till they are older your better with a few layers than the quilt

my hv did nothing - she turned up asked a load of questions about whether we worked told me about pnd, cot death and getting h weighed and that was about it! And i've never seen her since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back