Baby bedding - what are you doing?

debecca

Reaction score
OK, I'm REALLY confused about bedding (doesn't take much). My intention is that Connie will be in a Moses basket for the first few months and then move into her cot. So I already have:

* Fitted sheets for Moses basket and cot bed (how many?).
* Cellular blankets for Moses basket, cot bed and pram.
* Sleeping bag (gro bag) for 0-6 and 6-12 months.
* Swaddling blankets in case she prefers these.

Question: Do I need fitted sheets for the travel system? Will the Moses basket sheets fit these?
Question: Will I need waterproof sheets for the Moses basket or cotbed or pram?! Or wait until toilet training?
Question: Do I need flat sheets in addition to the fitted sheets to go over the top of her?

I am SO confused! :doh: :cry:

debecca said:
OK, I'm REALLY confused about bedding (doesn't take much). My intention is that Connie will be in a Moses basket for the first few months and then move into her cot. So I already have:

* Fitted sheets for Moses basket and cot bed (how many?).
* Cellular blankets for Moses basket, cot bed and pram.
* Sleeping bag (gro bag) for 0-6 and 6-12 months.
* Swaddling blankets in case she prefers these.

Question: Do I need fitted sheets for the travel system? Will the Moses basket sheets fit these?
Question: Will I need waterproof sheets for the Moses basket or cotbed or pram?! Or wait until toilet training?
Question: Do I need flat sheets in addition to the fitted sheets to go over the top of her?

I am SO confused! :doh: :cry:

Aww, it is confusing, I went and consulted the bible ('What to expect' and the forum)
Question 1: It all depends whether you have a proper flat carry cot on your system. A moses basket one will probably fit, but make sure it is very snug.
Q2. I wasn't going to bother with waterproof protector just yet, just a normal mattress protector. (an experienced mum might say different)
Q3. if you are using a cellular or swaddling blanket in the moses basket, that should be enough to keep Connie warm, you don't need another sheet. (I am doing that too) You wont need a sheet or duvet etc on top of her growbag. Just a fitted sheet on the cot.

I have got four fitted sheets for the moses basket and four for the cot.
I have four cellular blankets for the moses baskets, but I think I got 2 too many, just to use to cuddle her etc.
I have 2 swaddling blankets too.

I find this confusing too :hug:

I have fitted sheets for the moses basket and cellular blankets... remember when they are folded you need to count how many layers the folds make up as this is the same as applying more blankets.

Also as far as I have been told, swaddling is only meant to be used for nap times not for night time as baby can overheat.

Hope this helps :hug:

I'm confused on this too!
So far we have:
2 x fitted crib sheets
The 'i love my bear' crib bedding set we got which has a thickish balnket with it? Well something like that.
1 'pram blanket' which is actually just a normal blanket
A couple of normal blankets
1 x 2.5 tog sleeping bag

Sorry to hijack the thread but my added questions are:
How much of everything do we need?
Mattress protectors? What are these? :oops:
Don't babies arms get cold in these sleeping bag things?
Do i need bedding for the pram part of my travel system? (or do i just use a normal balnket?

:hug: :hug: :hug: debecca - i know just how you feel!

BabyBee said:
Do i need bedding for the pram part of my travel system? (or do i just use a normal balnket?

1> I don't think you need loads (I am not an expert, just been reading up and interrogating my sis), 3 or 4 sheets should be enough to tide you over.

2> Mattress protector goes under the sheet and absorbs any nasty stains etc. It is easier to whip that off and wash than to clean the mattress. (My mattress comes with a protector that you just zip on and off to wash)

3> I thought baby's arms would get cold too, but looking at my 8 month old niece - she has been in one every night since 3 months and she is as snug as a bug. I think it is good for them to have arms out to regulate their temp a bit.

4> The pram thing is tricky because it depends on the pram. If you have a traditional flat carry cot which has a mattress like a moses basket - then you need a fitted sheet and you can use a blanket over the top of baby. My carrycot is a convertable unit that changes into a pushchair, so there is no flat mattress. I was thinking of lying baby on the bottom and putting a blanket over - much like a car seat.

I bought the cot starter set from mothercare which includes:

2 fitted sheets
2 flat sheets (thought they might be useful for summer or to use if fitted sheets are both in the wash for some reason)
2 cellular blankets.

I've also got 2x 0-6 months growbags, if baby takes to these I'll only use the fitted sheets.

I will be using a moses basket, just got 2x fitted sheets for this and 2x flat sheets as I'm planning on using the growbags (unless baby is born weighing less than the minimum weight of 7.5 lb)

In answer to your questions:
Question: Do I need fitted sheets for the travel system? Will the Moses basket sheets fit these? The moses basket will fit if it's normal carry cot size

Question: Will I need waterproof sheets for the Moses basket or cotbed or pram?! Or wait until toilet training? I waited until toilet training. With James his matresses where covered with wipe down plastic material anyway, and logans have removable washable covers

You don't need these, I got the cot one's cos they came in a set, and the moses one's were given to me

BabyBee said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but my added questions are:

I would have 2 of each so you've got time to wash and dry if it gets dirty.

Mattress protectors are plastic covers that fit over the mattress. Like a fitted sheet but made of waterproof material. Protects mattress from wee, sick etc

Babies arms are fine outside the gro bag. They can overheat easily when young as they can't regulate their own body temp very well at first

I wouldn't bother buying seperate pram bedding. You can always fold up a normal sized cot sheet or blanket. Our babies will have the summer months so shouldn't get too cold anyway :D

ARGHHHH I knew i'd forgotten something. Sheets for the pram!! :wall:

ok, so i bought sheets for my crib, with celular blankets to swaddle connor in...

BUT

he hates his crib! he'll only sleep at night whilst physically lying on top of either me or OH :wall:

so, i've bought 2x 1 tog sleeping bags for him - they're the ones for newborns and they're fab, particularly because he also hates being swaddled.

we're gonna try and get him used to the crib eventually, but its one step at a time at the moment...! :roll: :) :)

the one piece of advice i would give is that even 2 of everything (which is what i bought) isn't always enough... i never stop washing...

I am the minimalist queen :roll:

Moses basket (washable mattress cover on it already)
Fitted sheet x 2 for moses basket mattress
Sleeping bags for baby (have 1 tog and 2.5 tog)

1 x celluar blanket
1 x flat sheet

Plan on using the sleeping bags over anything else. Sleepsuits will keep arms warm enough :) I got the blanket and sheet more for nap times and out and about. Baby might need blankets the first few weeks but I can always buy another one if needed once LO is here.

:hug: :hug: :hug:
Thanks! I'll get a few more of everything i think! That'll stop me having to wash totally non-stop! Lol.

How often do you change a baby's bedding? Or is it a case of it'll get mucky before long anyway!?!

When you put baby in a sleeping bag thing is it best that they are wearing a sleepsuit with a vest underneath?

I'm planning on putting logan in his gro bag wearing a vest and sleepsuit. In summer maybe just a vest. His are 1 tog one's.

I found I had to change the bedding a lot in the first few weeks due to leaky nappies (my inexperience of putting them on properly I think!)

Hmmm, well we are going to have a moses basket for the first few months and have a cotbed for after then. Our cot mattress has a waterproof cover already that zips on and off (It's a Mothercare one).

I still have all of Caitlin's bedding for the cot (apart from the mattress obviously). I am going to buy fitted sheets, flat sheets and cellular blankets for the moses basket/travel system and am also going to buy a grobag, but I have a feeling that it will be a while before she is big enough for one of these (as she will be born at 34 weeks latest and is estimated at 3lbs) hence the other bedding.

It is all confusing isn't it?! :hug: So much choice :)

BabyBee said:
When you put baby in a sleeping bag thing is it best that they are wearing a sleepsuit with a vest underneath?

I usually put vest on under sleepsuit. If it gets really hot this summer then I'll consider a vest on its own, either long or short sleeved depending on temperature etc.

great post!!!

ive been wondering the same thing, this has really helped :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back