Babytv??

GregorysGirl

Reaction score
Whats everyones thoughts on letting babies watch babytv or similar while your doing the chores?

I read its only recommended that newborns watch 2mins per day. Austin seems to be drawn to the tv if I have it on so figure Babytv is better than loose women for him to stare at. Only for short bursts tho :)

Love people ideas n opinions xx

There was a thread about this a while ago me and oh are sat here watching tiny pop right now we put it on for eldest for half an hour but hes fallen asleep I think its only if long periods it causes problems, everything in moderation.

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk 2

tv is just a light show to babies, you wouldnt think twice about putting them in front of a light show so the same goes for telly. My lo is too active to want to sit and watch telly much but he watches it while I get his brekkie and we watch in the night garden together before bed as a wind down time!!
xxx

I know what u mean - Austin is constantly chattin, wrigglin, kicking, shouting, yelling or like wise x

yeah they dont really care about whats on, its just lights and noise same as a mobile or light up toy really. Alyssa dosent watch tv really cos she likes to play with her toys but its often on in the background and i will put it on in the morning on kids tv for her while shes on her mat or walker and im getting brekkie

Totally agree, its just pretty moving lights and sounds to them, she turns her head to watch occasionally, It doesn't worry me x

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

now if like an ex friend of mine a baby was strapped into their bouncer and pointed at the tv for a few hours to the point where they learned to escape from them and they didnt even try to babble at me til 5 months then id worry. she used the tv as a babysitter for her twins

I used to stick Jake in his bouncer in front of the TV for a little while while I got washing and bottles done when he was little, never did him any harm or my others, now he is older he loves watching "In the night garden" :lol:

now if like an ex friend of mine a baby was strapped into their bouncer and pointed at the tv for a few hours to the point where they learned to escape from them and they didnt even try to babble at me til 5 months then id worry. she used the tv as a babysitter for her twins

My friend did this to the extent that was all he did at 12 months he ignored everyone and everything and just sat watching tv all the time. I dont think he could crawl or anything from been sat in his chair all the time it was awful.

I put baby TV on occassionally when he's finished his lunch or if I have something urgent to do like phonecalls (not to my Mum!).

My 10 week old nephew has an obsession with the superbikes! It's the noise and colours, he can't help but look at the tv if it's on :good:

Ruby watches waybuloo everyday an she sits there smiling and chatting away TBH I dnt see the harm in it . It's more when toddlers are stuck in from of the telly for hours in end when it becomes a problem xxx

G has a fascination with it at the moment, but it's more when it's on, and she's not doing anything, iykwim. Like if I've sat her on my knee to wind her. She very rarely gets sat in front of the tv. Sometimes she'll get attracted by whatever's on if she's on her mat for some naked baby time - but other times it's something like the sofa that fascinates her. Lol

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Tyler's only allowed to watch his baby Einstein DVD once a day thus will change as he's older. My OH watches too much tv so I want to set an example that there are other things to do iykwim?

yeah pinky I agree. Austin is currently lsid on his mat with his crinkley lamaze book hooked on it squealing ..... I have got baby tv on in the back ground as he loves the nises, I find he gets frustrated if Im in his face tooo much when hes exploring n grabbing new toys x

Emily will turn her neck almost 180 degrees to try and watch the TV... She is fascinated by it! We only have it on for short periods, and never when feeding, as it's far too distracting for her. I never have it on when she's doing another activity, but sometimes in the afternoons we have a shnuggle and the TV is on in the background.
I don't see any harm in it from time to time - it is the same as a light show to a baby.
We did go to the cinema for the first time last week too - she absolutely loved it... Was mesmerised by the big screen and the sounds! She was awake the whole way through and then fell asleep as the credits rolled at the end! :)

We don't have tv in our house... That says a lot lol... Well we do have tv but we don't pay subscription for the channels...
We occasionally on weekends watch some downloaded movies or documentaries etc and that's all.
About LO now, I personally think that there are far more important things for them to do the little hours that are awake than watch tv really.
I am not against it but at this very young age there are only so many things than they can do while thy are awake and tv is not a priority for me.
We will use tv for LO mostly because she will be raised trilingual so we will use it for educational purposes for watching DVDs in all 3 languages.
But that will come when she is a toddler really.
For earlier I got stories and songs on CDs in all 3 languages and I will use those.
Also a personal preference but I am determined to make my LO like and actually prefer books instead of tv.
I was raised like that and I think I read until now hundreds of books, much more educational and beneficial than tv.

Ofc it's easy to do this in our home as we turn on the tv like 3 times per month lol...

Hope, I love the way you live I just dont know how you do it.

Tv isnt all bad my 15 month old watches lots of tv at nannans and can now count to three after being there a few days Im so proud

k-monster doesn't appear too interested in telly,

although he seems to be a typical Man, and loves watching& listening to Holly Willoughby on This Morning, but i place him on his mat, he prefers looking at his toys and grabbing his animal noisy book (he loves putting the "sheep" page in his mouth.lol) .

The TV doesn't really interest him and i'd much prefer him interacting with me & people who come visit instead of looking past them to watch the telly,

but if he did watch it more than he does i wouldn't think it was harming him too much and as long as there's a healthy balance of human interaction there's nothing wrong..

No matter what my HV says.. !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back