If I carry LO all the time what will happen later on?

BabyMagic

Reaction score
My LO is only four weeks old atm and we both enjoy using the sling. Often she only settles when she is in it and she hates the pram. Luckily though she is happy to sleep in the moses basket at nights and occassionally during the day. If she is in the sling she is fully content and I even feed her in it :cheer: . We do have active play time outside the sling a few times a day and I change her position from tummy-to-tummy to cuddle. I have the kari me sling (and baba sling which I don't like as much).

My question for those who have done the same thing is that what happens later on? If she gets used to being carried around now, when will she want to come out (when she starts crawling/walking)? Would you recommend me carrying her around less? From your experience was there any harm in using the sling?

I believe I am following (unintentinally) the continuum concept which believes it is benefictial for the baby to be close to her mother all the time...

We also have a kari me and a babyhawk

Lola is almost 9 months now and we just use the sling when we are out instead of using a pushchair. At home she will only go in it if I'm cleaning etc and she's not happy to play on her own :)

Babyhawk slings look really stylish!!! Perhaps I'll get one when LO is a little older...

sounds like me and logan, he has to be cuddled 90% of the time, preferably on the boob until he falls asleep.

unless he's in a very deep sleep he wont go in his moses basket. he sleeps in my bed and unless he's asleep cries to be held when in the pram. we are just starting to use a sling as unless OH is here I often struggle to even get a drink or make something to eat!

i dont mind holding him though, i know he'll a baby for such a short space of time i should enjoy it while it lasts

MIL keeps telling me im making a rod for my own back and he should be spending time alone each day outside in the pram! makes me mad cos she's always said she never felt loved by her parents, and then tries to get me to use their parenting methods!! :shock:

my theory is if i give logan the comfort and reassurance he needs now he'll grow up to be more confident and independent.whether im right or not only time will tell!

james was completely different as a baby, he was happy to spend time laying in his baby gym, and sleep in the moses basket from day one, he hated being carried in a sling!! they've just got different personalities.

Muppetmummy - thank God for slings!!! Which one do you have?

I feel tha what I am doing is the best for Emilia (and me) and I am a firm believer in trusting my own insticts. Like you other people don't agree with my approach. My mum is saying that if I carry her now I will have to carry her all the time later on as well... I would think that our little ones wouldn't want that when they start crawling/walking...

I think that Emilia is a sensitive baby and wants closeness. It is interesting to hear Muppetmummy that your two sons are so different! That just proves that it isn't necessarily us mums making the babies want to be carried around...

There is a good book valled 'Why love matters' by Sue Gerhart which explains why leaving babies crying is not good for their development. As that is exactly what I would need to do (let Emilia cry for a very long time) if I wasn't carrying her close to me.

I have noticed a difference in the last few days though. She is happy to be left in a moses basket for some time whilst awake as she loves looking at her mobile. I feel (hope) that this sort of behaviour may increase as she is getting more interested in the world. Hence I don't want to 'force' into anything (such as being in a pram) before she is ready! Like Muppetmummy I hope this will make Emilia more confident...

i've got a freedom slings coory and carry pouch which he loves and is happy to sleep in, its really padded so he thinks he's still being cuddled so i can have both hands free. its hard to breastfeed him in it though.

ive also got a freedom sling thrifty ring sling which arrived this morning. not tried it yet, its unpadded so cooler for summer and will fit in my changing bag. im hoping it will be easier for breastfeeding too, logie likes using my boob as a dummy so need to be able to walk about while he's doing that

i am finding as he gets older he's happier to spent time lying on his chsnging mat. i agree we should let them get used to it in their own time and not force them, otherwise they'll just grow up nervous and even more clingy :)

I did the same thing with Thea (im a bit of a sling addict lol) and i now have a wonderful, fiercely independent, confident and clever little girl on my hands. I can count on one hand the amount of times she has ever been in a pushchair. She still crawled at 5 months, and walked independently at 10 months 1 day, not bad considering that i had people telling me she would never learn how! Babies will tell you when they are ready, you just have to listen :)

Far from carrying her making Thea cling to me as everyone said it would, what its done is give her huge amounts of confidence in herself because she knows that's her mammy will never leave her or let her cry. My daughter is the perfect example of how well the close to baby method can work. She plays happily with other children but is equally as happy and content playing alone. She has never needed to cling to me at playgroups etc because she knows she can go play and when she comes back i will be where she left me.

Sorry i know i waffled on a bit there but the point in trying to make is follow what you believe is best for you and your baby. If you feel that holding your baby close to you will work for you like it has for me then go for it!

Thank you Melanie for your reply. It made me feel much better to know that your daughter 'has turned' fine.

Thanks Muppetmummy too - knowing that you are a second time mum I trust that you know what you are doing so I am happy to keep slinging too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back