Baby size / your size

mandspice

Reaction score
Hi Girls!

I have a question for you experienced mums - I'm 5 feet 2 and weigh about 7 stone and my OH is 6 feet 1 and slim but well built. I took him to my midwife appointment and she said "Mmm, you're very tall David, we don't want a big long baby or we might have compliactions with mum as she's so small, about 6lbs will be best"

Is there any truth in this? Do small mums have problems giving birth to big babies? What have your babies weighed compared to your size / weight and that of your OH?

Be interesting to hear your stories! xxx

I'm reasonably tall and Finlay is in the 98th centile for height. But at birth he was 7lbs 8oz so not really big.

My Hubby is 6ft 4? and comes from stocky breed, I'm 5ft 9 but quite slim (well was before I was pregnant!) and we had a 8lb 9 and had to have a c section because he was big and breech but I'm sure it makes no difference, it all depends on what happens on Labour day!

They can normally guess if it is big nearer the time, my midwife got his size spot on, they can advise you then if they think your birth plan is unrealistic or not

I don't think theres any real ruling on it all, some small women can and do have large babies without any problems.
But if it makes you feel any better lol - my babies were 6lb 9.5 and 6lb 10.5 - I was 6st 9 and 7st 2 pre pregnancy, respectively. I put on over 2 stone with both.
Im 5ft and hubby is 6ft 1.
Hubby was 6lb 6.5 at birth, I was 4lb 7, but I was 6 weeks early.

im 5'4", was very skinny pre-preg (about 6st 7) i hav a small frame. my boyf is very slim and small boned too but hes really tall- about 6'4".
melissa was 7lb 7oz and since she was newborn EVERYONE comments on how long her limbs and fingers are! looks like she'll take after her dad, hope so iv always wanted to be taller i look very young for my age and my height doesnt help!

It all depends really - there's no hard and fast rule. In general midwiefs like taller (not sure what that actually classes as though :think: ) ladies as there is apparently less chance of complications (or as my m/w put it at my last appt "You're quite tall, so can cope with any size baby" - well I wouldn't say any size :lol:

My mum is quite short (5'4" ish) and my dad is huge - I think about 6'5" and I was just over 9lb at birth, but because of my size comparative to my mum I got stuck for quite some time.

Im 5ft 3, quite large and OH is not that tall but slim,Scarlett was 6lb and is still quite dinky now. my sister in law is tiny and shes bout to have her 3rd one, shes soo quick in labour and has had no probs giving birth at all

My b/f and I are both quite small 5'2 -ish, and with my first pregnancy I was super fit at the time so not overweight like I am now! We estimated a 6lb baby, as that was the general average between our families but something got in the way somewhere as Tyler came out at 8lb 14.5oz!!
However, I had a relatively easy birth and no problems getting him out, although had quite a bad tear but didn't care about that at the time, just glad to get him out! This time I'm overweight from the start, and eating like a horse, so I dread to think how big this next one will be!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back