Baby Signing

Jade&Evie

Reaction score
:dance: Have just booked Evie and I in for baby signing classes- we don't start til November though :(

How did all the mums/bubbys get on with it? I'm hoping it all goes well- Evie's grandparents will all use the signs to which should make it more sucessful :D

i'm starting classes in september :) :) i can't wait either!

squiglet signs with lil miss... i'm not sure who else does it? :think:

I've been to a couple of TinyTalk classes. Going to go back later in the year. There were several smaller babies like Becky there but she was constantly being hit by rattles, stood on and having Bumbos thrown at her when down on the mat for songs etc. We both enjoyed it but I think she'll appreciate it more when she's about 6 months. I sign at work (Makaton) anyway and I'm constantly using signs out of force of habit so she'll probably pick more up that way :lol:

we go to a baby play and sign class / group every week ,its not hardcore signing tho , we sign to nursery ryhms and do basics

Lil miss is getting quite a large repertoire of signs... milky...juice... pick me up... food... no more...mama... papa... curds and way and spider from nursery rhymes... :rotfl: :rotfl:

Mind I've come to the conclusion that signing babies are spoilt babies... I tend to give in immediately when lil miss signs as its how you initially reinforce the sign....then you give in because your proud... then you give in because they throw tantrums because now mummy doesn't understand the sign she did yesterday.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

My mum/DH/Tia/sister/brother all use the signs... I never went to classes because my brother & sister knew makaton and we used that all the time in our house so I don't know how sucessful the classes are... I just know you have to be repetitive.... you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive....you have to be repetitive.... and one day when you think they never will, they get it... Don't expect too much before 6 months though... they really don't become that cognative before then. Lil miss was signed to from 4 months and only started signing properly when she was 5 1/2 months... :)

Oh I want to do that with Phoebs! I think there are some classes in our area, want to wait till she's a bit bigger tho :D November sounds like a good time to start. I love it when they sign in Meet the Fockers :rotfl:

remind me next time we meet up and i will get alice to show you what she can sign (she is very temperamental about it at the moment though - she needs to be in the right mood. we sign less and less nowdays :( ).

one of alice's first signs was pig :D Please is the one she uses most often.

How old do they have to be to start these? I would really love to do this when my little ones come!!

The classes I go to babies of any age are welcome but babies generally don't start understanding/using signs until 6-9 months. It's useful to expose babies to the signs (always coupled with the spoken word) early on. If you plan to take a younger, baby, though, I would check the age of the rest of the babies first for the reasons I mentioned above.

I've just sent an email enquiring about classes :D They run sessions for under one year olds. It'll be great fun I reckon. Looks like its a drop in one, so we don't neccesssarily have to go every week :cheer:

I can not wait to have my little one and then start signing!

I qualified in it myself to level 2 which gives me fluent converstational techniques without theut grammer to a huge level.

I am going to sign ALL the time to my little one!! Massive benefits in it.... only scarey thing is it proves to be really good in them understanding the words etc so when they learn to talk they already grasp what it means but ..... thier verbal skills tend to be a little bit behind!

But I can NOT wait until the day I see my Daughter signing to me and other children.... SOOOOOOOO excited!!!!

I've been signing with willow and so far she knows about 6 signs, attempts and understands lots of others though

zebrastripes said:
I've been signing with willow and so far she knows about 6 signs, attempts and understands lots of others though

Ditto, we went to local Sing and Sign classes and they were really good.

I have to admit, I'm not as good as I could be about signing at home, I just keep forgetting :oops: . She could probably be a lot better, if I wasn't so rubbish.

Valentine Xxx

kellyannlyle said:
thier verbal skills tend to be a little bit behind!

That has been proven otherwise as that was one of the fears at first. :)

As long as the sign is used with a word they will speak as normal... Tia was behind with her speech and we did use signing but thats because we found out at 9 months that she was partially deaf in one ear and 95% deaf in the other. So she wasn't actually hearing the spoken word but then the signing turned out to be a god send because I never got the "you don't understand me!" tantrums.... My sister however, who used signing from 6 months, started speaking by the time she was 1 and she has Downs Syndrome... she dropped the signs the minute she could say the words correctly so it didn't actually delay her speech at all... Lil miss already says mummum and papa... and with the correct sign (although mummum also gets signed with milky but thats boob milky not cup milky..I'm a boob.. :roll: ) so she's not been delayed at all either :)

Wow Squig thats amazing! Can I ask how you make the sign for Mum and Dad as my book shows using 3 fingers on the palm of the other hand for Mum and it just looks like a hard manouvre for a less-than-dexterous baby to make to me :think:

That looks much easier, I am inspired to try a few more since Lil miss is doing so great. I am determined Eva is gonna say Mamma before Dadda one way or another lol :D Thanks Squiglet x

clarey said:
That looks much easier, I am inspired to try a few more since Lil miss is doing so great. I am determined Eva is gonna say Mamma before Dadda one way or another lol :D Thanks Squiglet x
Cheat... DH is called Papa... its far more difficult a sound to make.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
clarey said:
Cheat... DH is called Papa... its far more difficult a sound to make.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

That's what OH is called in my house too. Even funnier because she made the sound "da" for the first time the other week :rotfl: .

Squig, what's the sign for milk? I missed that week and "biscuit" isn't much use for a 4 month old :lol:

This HAS to be THE most annoying vid ever... but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-75_C3yo0 This is the sign I use for milk... the little boy in the grey shirt and another in the orange jumper show how lil miss signs it...

Its a dead easy sign to use for babies... I use it constantly when I am feeding lil miss so she gets the idea that the sign is associated with milk. I use a lot of ASL as its mainly one handed and it seems to be much easier for babies to grasp.

Biscuit is useless at this age... They can't grasp complex identification of foods in that way... :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back