baby shower gifts?

titch

Reaction score
So my sister is going to organise a baby shower for me, but Ive never been to one. From what I gather we get presents?!

So I was thinking with OH, with so many bits n bobs to get, we'd better wait until after this shower incase we buy something and then get given it. We really cant afford to waste money.

THEN I was thinking, can you make a list of things you want, like people do in weddings? or is that too cheeky? I just know Ill end up with more baby grows than I know what to do with, and we need little bits like baby bath, mobile, nappy bin, baby chair thingy (dunno what theyre called, bouncers?) All these things can be bought for less than £10 so would be ideal gifts.

Im not sure if its too cheeky though, and wondered what eveyone is doing about it?

People are always happy for ideas otherwise all your friends and visitors could get the same things.
Best thing to do is speak to your sister and ask how she is arranging everything and write a list of the things you know you need and haven't got then talk it through with her or give her the list and hopefully it will be sorted without involving you so much and it will still be a surprise to you and OH.
When are you thinking of having your baby shower?
All the best for when it arrives x

I've never been to a baby shower Tiny so not really sure how it works. People might ask if there is anything you need but you might end up getting 2 of the same thing?

thats a good idea. Suppose its not as rude if my sister is bossing people about!!

I did think Id rather just be told what to get than have to make it up, especially as Im the first out of my friends to have a baby, they wont be able to tell us what they found useful etc..

I think we're having it early July, hoping to be able to have a bbq if the weathers nice.

Just glanced at your ticker Tiny, 100 days exactly!!!!!

i'm having a baby shower and yes we usually get presents!!! :) :)

From the other baby showers i've been to most people do tend to get clothes so i would ask for the things you need/want.
This is what i've done as most of the clothes could end up not being used at all as some people only get newborn sizes.
Maybe speak to your sister and give her some ideas of the things you would like so if she is asked before hand she can tell your guests. I'm sure people would prefer to know they can get you someting useful than buy loads of clothes to go to waste.

Katie xx

Never been to a baby shower before, but i don't think its cheeky having a list, especially if your sister sorts it out. Its practical. We've already got a couple of duplicate things, that we bought then a friend has given us the same / or similar. We've also started receiving presents for the baby too and most people are asking either me or MIL what we need or would like, so I think its a good idea. Sounds like fun too, a bbq, hope it will be nice weather for you. Funny to think I should have my little boy by then lol x

Never been to a baby shower before, but i don't think its cheeky having a list, especially if your sister sorts it out. Its practical. We've already got a couple of duplicate things, that we bought then a friend has given us the same / or similar. We've also started receiving presents for the baby too and most people are asking either me or MIL what we need or would like, so I think its a good idea. Sounds like fun too, a bbq, hope it will be nice weather for you. Funny to think I should have my little boy by then lol x

yeah youve really not got long left!! Will you be having a baby shower?

I've been to a baby shower and it was so much fun! We played lots of games like pin the dummy on the baby lol everyone brought the mum to be baby clothes but if you'd prefer other things then I'd say! Hope you have fun x x x

OMG we sat down last night and used mamafys list and amazon to see what things we needed. I thought we were more organised than we actually are!

Got
· Sleepsuits x 6
· Vests x 10
· Nappies
· Bibs
· Bottles
· Crib /moses basket
· Wipes
· Changing Bag
· Steriliser
· Stroller
· Clothes
· Milk storage bags
Need
· Baby Powder (optional)
· Baby Shampoo and Body Wash
· Nappy rash Creme
· Socks
· Mittens (they scratch themselves a lot when they are newborns)
· Hats (they loose their body heat out of their heads)
· Carseat
· nonbiological Detergent
· Hooded Towels
· Wash Cloths
· Nose Suction Bulb
· Cotton wool
· Bowl for topping/tailing
· Nasosal drops
· Baby calpol
· Ear thermometer
· Muslins
· Crib Sheets x6
· Padded sheets for pram
Need/Possible shower gifts;
· Baby Grooming Kit / Nail Clippers
· Nappy disposal unit
· Nursery Themometer
· Baby Bath Tub/sling
· Bath temp thermometer/mat
· Bouncer
· Crib Mobile
· Blankets x 3
· Angelcare AC5300 Movement Only Baby Monitor
· Newborn toys
· Car window shade
· Nightlight/nursery lightshow

I'm glad you put non biological detergent on that list, i'd not even thought of that! Most other things for us are organised, but to be honest we did it all over two weekends and then just a case of the odd thing here and there. No baby shower for me, which i'm a bit gutted about, but i've only been living back in Leeds 2 years, so my closest friends are spread all over, some in the north east, some down south so it would be awkward to organise and i don't have a sister, plus i've left work and taken redundancy so lost touch a bit with work friends. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures and reading storys about baby showers on here though, i think its a great idea x

I would recommend a Cuddledry towel - they are £20 and made from soft bamboo - they loop around your neck with a popper and leave your hands free to scoop baby up into the towell, I cannot recommend it enough. I wouldnt even go with hooded towells - invest on one of these, I still use it for Rosie now and she is almost 20 months :) Baby hooded towells are so small when bubs gets bigger! :)

thanks RM. The list is edited! Ive put it in the gift bit though :) Im gonna need to invite LOTS of people! :rofl: Im not really expecting all that stuff, we'll buy whatevers left after the shower, just wanted to give people a choice of price ranges and items! Katie, my friends are quite scattered across the UK too, we're telling peopleto bring air beds! lol It'll have to be a weekend event me thinks!

That's a really good idea, it will be something lovely for you to look forward too. Rosies Mummy i may well invest in a cuddle dry towel, sounds like a good idea x

My baby shower is on June 12th :)

because people keep asking what we want we have decided to do a gift list with john lewis so we just go in choose what ever we like or need and people can choose from the list themselves.
We've been told to do a wide price range aswell so there are cheaper options for like £5 so people don't feel too pressured.
They can look at it online aswell so no need to travel to far. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back