Babies that do finger foods...

Hope81

Reaction score
What do you get with you when out and about for them? No way I spoon feed out and about an no way I get from home steamed vegetables etc so if you see a mum offering muffins, toast fingers, carrot puffs and cookies that's me unless someone comes with any more brilliant and healthier I must say ideas lol!

Could you take some steamed carrot sticks or similar in a Tupperware tub for finger food? Xx

I am not sure about steamed vegetables as they get mushy and runny in no time and also they are quite messy? You should see the mess that she does with broccoli :faint:
When do those babies start eating more ahem civilized lol????
Last time out I gave her some fries no salt and she spend like 10 min trying to dip them in ketchup lool and some toast from my club sandwich.
I was thinking more for sth that she can have out in the park or in the car, or in her stroller to keep her busy and happy while we are out and about.

Can she eat brown bread with a cream cheese on top? Or cut up cucumber sticks, red pepper, yellow pepper, they're really easy and very little prep. Satsumas, apple slices. All easy to do.

Or pitta bread and hummus?
Xx

Crackers. Raw fruit or veg, cherry tomatoes are a big hit with G. Cucumber sticks. Cheese - like baby bel is easy to carry. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Breadsticks, fruit and veg cut up in pots, organix carrot sticks etc, or generally whatever I have on my plate!

Can she eat brown bread with a cream cheese on top? Or cut up cucumber sticks, red pepper, yellow pepper, they're really easy and very little prep. Satsumas, apple slices. All easy to do.

Or pitta bread and hummus?
Xx

Pretty much all of these things hun xx

Sorry to hijack the thread Hope, but didn't see the point in starting another for a similar topic

Aaron chewed on a strawberry today and appeared to love it. He tried to hold it but it was too small and too slippy. His grasp isn't very good and and Im not entirely sure he will be able to do finger foods yet, but would like to give him the best chance to have a go

Whats the easiest things to hold?

I plan on putting things in his hands to chew on as he can't even reach the tray on his highchair :lol:

You can roll fruit in a few oats to make it less slippy once over 6 months.
I keep the rind on melon to help B hold - he doesn't eat the rind. Ok, maybe once but never since!

I can't actually think of non slippy fruit and veg right now! B is such a chunk monster he keeps everything in his grip - even banana doesn't escape him! X

I think broccoli is the easiest to hold and the first thing Amelie tried and ate with success at around 4 m I think? There are really easy to hold and not slippery. Also toast fingers are easy to hold and orange slices with the peel still on. I still though think that broccoli is the ultimate thing to begin :)

Thank you everyone, I got her some bread sticks today to dip in creme cheese (thanks lolly for the brilliant idea). I dipped them for her and she loved them :) roll on when they can eat whatever and I don't need a diaper bag with me...

Sorry to hijack the thread Hope, but didn't see the point in starting another for a similar topic

Aaron chewed on a strawberry today and appeared to love it. He tried to hold it but it was too small and too slippy. His grasp isn't very good and and Im not entirely sure he will be able to do finger foods yet, but would like to give him the best chance to have a go

Whats the easiest things to hold?

I plan on putting things in his hands to chew on as he can't even reach the tray on his highchair :lol:

Aaron's over 6m's isnt he? Broccoli, breadsticks, toast, porridge fingers, vegetable sticks, melon sticks ermmmm.... There are so many more I am sure the ladies will come up with the goods!

Yeah he's over 6 months

I might try him with toast? He can sook the butter off it if nothing else

Will just give him some after his breakfast and see how he goes

Crumpets? It's a new texture to try. Philadelphia cheese is a good one spread on anything (including mummy)!

B manages cucumber slices better that stick shape so it might be worth experimenting with the shape of things x

I'm not enjoying this weaning one bit!!! Tonight I tried steamed carrot sticks and broccoli.... And yeah as soon as it got to the back of his throat... He gags and keeps it at the back of his tongue had to pat him on the back to get it up :( it makes me feel psychically sick, I don't know how I'm ever going to overcome this. Then he starts crying the house down. Won't even eat mash potato ???? Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not enjoying this weaning one bit!!! Tonight I tried steamed carrot sticks and broccoli.... And yeah as soon as it got to the back of his throat... He gags and keeps it at the back of his tongue had to pat him on the back to get it up :( it makes me feel psychically sick, I don't know how I'm ever going to overcome this. Then he starts crying the house down. Won't even eat mash potato ???? Xx

Aww Hun I understand your worry but please remember that gagging isn't choking its just part and parcel of learning to chew and swallow.

If you and K aren't ready just wait another few weeks xx

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

I know tweety, I wish someone could do it for me, I'm sure he knows I'm anxious! I feel like gagging will turn to choking, I'm just stupid. He had toast this morning no problem. Xx

Your not stupid Hun, weaning is scary! I used to prefer someone else in the room if I was giving finger foods just in case. I did a first aid course which helped a bit.
If he's managing toast that's great - B still gags on it! X

Have you thought about doing a first aid course Tia?

I'm first aid trained and I really think it helps my anxiety.

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

That's the stupid thing I am first aid trained! Lol xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back