finger foods

Lauz_1601

Reaction score
I think there may have been a thread on this before sorry if there is someone cud direct me please?

I want some ideas for finger foods, Ella eats finger foods really well now, she's had banana - a bit slippery though, and toast or bread which she loves. I want to try her with some new stuff, what fruits and veggies are good? Can they have Kiwi? bit strange but I had a dream about her eating kiwi and wondering if she cud have it lol.

Rubie has toast, bread, rice cakes, baby biscuits, cooked carrot and broccili sticks, banana, strawberries, nectarine, crumpets (a firm fave) and anything else I am eating that she can hold really.

Brody likes melon, carrot, brocolli, rice cakes, rusks, oh... and he loved a bit of my hot cross bun!

Ella has toast, rice cakes, malt loaf, banana, nectarine (peeled and whole), avocado (peeled and sliced), mini sandwiches with butter, sticks of sweet potato roasted in a little olive oil, whole ripe pear (peeled) and lots of other things like pasta twirls (wheat/gluten free).

wow so theres allsorts I could try her with, Id be worried about giving her stuff like a peeled nectarine though, becuase couldnt she choke on the skin of the segmenta? I might try her with cook carrot sticks and brocoli, she doesnt have any teeth yet either wud she still be able to eat a carrot??????? Im so confused lol, thanks for you replies Im having her weighed tommorow so will ask the HV for more ideas thanks.

She'd definately be able to chew, babies don't need teeth to do that with :D

Id be worried about giving her stuff like a peeled nectarine though, becuase couldnt she choke on the skin of the segmenta?
I'm confused (easily done!) :oops: :?

lol ill explain a bit better, you know once you peel a nectarine it has like a whiteish skin with stringy bits on each of the segments.
I know I sound like a nutter but I dont like swallowing stuff like that myself im a little paranoid after choking on a sugar snap pea and therefore worry Ella will choke.

I must have had a weird nectarine (it was very ripe) as I didn't notice that :? Will look out for it next time though :)

And it's ok to be paranoid! My little sister choked on a bacon sarnie once (she was a child not baby, but I still don't like eating fatty bacon!)

lauz are you confusing a nectarine with a satsuma/mandarin/clementine? a nectarine is like a peach with no fuzz on???

I give Damien everything I'm eating, he is loving ice pops in this weather, even if they do half melt before he eats them :lol: he had a bit of my doughnut the other day (after i sucked the suger off) and he locved it. Naughty mummy. He loves pizza too, which HV recomemnded!

Noah tends to have what ever were having for dinner most nights, whether mashed or as finger foods. I give him pieces of chicken or other meat and pieces of cheese as finger foods as well as the usual fruit and veg and bread. If you are concerned at carrot being to hard for your little one try gently steaming it first to soften it. Something I would advise caution with how ever ar the little bread stick things that cow & gate do. I got them for Noah when he turned 8 months, cause the packet says they are suitable for 8+ months, but they are dry and hard like normal bread sticks, and Noah is still only just learning to chew, he promptly bit a lump of and tryied to swallow it and started choking. I had to remember the first aid I was taught in my baby classes, and get him to bring it back up. He was really shaken up by it and cried for ages, consiquently I have never fed them to him again as they just seem to dry and brittle for his age.

:doh: :doh: :doh: kim I can be so dumb sometimes! yes Im getting them confused know I know what u mean!!!!!!!!!!

Cat I have been giving Ella something similar to that which i got in america its like hard toast, but she just sucks it and it goes soft.

I worry when she gets down to the last bit of something, for example bread and she shoves the chunk in her mouth, I stick my finger in and pull it out, what do you do about this? do you take the small pieces off them?

I should maybe go to a first aid course to put my mind at ease about choking so I know what to do if (god forbid) it does happen.

well Ella has some cooked carrot stickes for when she wakes up so Ill see how she goes with that

thanks for ur replies

lol what you like!! :rotfl:

:shhh: (i get the names mixed up too, that's how i knew!) :shhh:

I stick my finger in and pull it out, what do you do about this? do you take the small pieces off them?

Not now, I did at the very beginning though. Don't know why as she didn't have the skills to release the small bits in her grasp then :lol: More for self reassurance. Today was the first day she actually ate the whole of something, that was a strawberry and a organix carrot thing (wotsits!). She actually pushed the last bits in her mouth with her finger which she hasn't done before. Earlier today she was eating a banana and took a big bit, she worked at it pretty well but still had a cough, the bit propelled out of her mouth :lol:

Do you have the Birth to 5 book from your HV? That has some info on what to do if your baby chokes, I read through that and feel a little more confident now. I'd still like to do a first aid course though too :)

Well I gave her a carrot stick today, she just played with it at first, but then she ate some, she bit off a lump and gagged a bit and spat it out, dont think she was too keen. She's much better with rice cakes and almost eats it all apart from the bits she drops and the last little bit.

I suppose its a bit of trial and error, Ill try the carrot again maybe next week. Oh yeh and she tried Cauliflour and spat this out too. She might not be ready yet though, Ill also try her with some fruit see how she goes, thanks for all the advice Ill keep you updated with the foods she tried and you keep me updated too, this way we get new idea's of what to try.

Dont know what Id do without this forum!

Try her with a crumpet, Rubie goes mad for them!

oo yeh good idea becuase she LOVES bread and cries when I take it off her, the HV said to put butter on it, I didnt think they would be allowed it. and alo cheese spreads on toast, which spreads do u recommend, would phillidelphia be ok? I know dairylea (sp) has alot of salt in it.

My HV said unsalted butter or marg is fine. Flora do a low salt version now!

The only cheese spread I buy is Primula so I will be giving her that. Haven't checked it yet though.

Yum crumpets with butter and Primula *drools*

do you know if Vitalite butter is ok?
it says a source of vitamin a,b and d
naturally rich in vitamin E
High in polyunsaturates
low in saturates

but it doesnt say anything about low salt. It says 2% salt on the ingredients list, that seems low?????????

not sure but my flora is actually no salt i just looked. it will be ok as long as you dont use much

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back