Babies for the novice parents!

snowbee

Reaction score
Clueless dot com here :)

Could anyone give me an idea of what you need for a baby please! Also what sort of things do you need to consider earlier on? I assume I need to go and look at/research certain items, like prams and car seats, which took you longest to decide on?

I possibly have a cot, assuming I can get a mattress to fit as it is my old cot and I don't know if sizings have changed over the years. Other than that we have nothing although I'm hoping the existing drawers and wardrobe will be fine.

The pram is a biggie you need to find out what you like, how many wheels the type of terrain pram by itself or a travel system forward facing or not..etc as is where baby will sleep. another big thing to think about is how you want to feed the baby breastfeeding or bottle or combination as each method has its own consideration. breastfeeding is the cheapest option lol. But some people struggle.

You will need a few clothes and things depending on circumstances I know I've got loads of neutral stuff being given my way from friends etc.

The baby's room is another thing to think about but not essential yet. But it's nice to get it done before s/he arrives (BTW I'm guessing boy for you lol)

Is there any specifics you don't know where to start with.

Last edited:
Babies are quite minimalistic in a way so if it's your first try not be sucked into buying all the new gadgets cause you prob won't use them or will for a short time.

Main things are what are you planning on using for sleeping? Moses, crib or do you wanna Co sleep? There are a few options out there. We did go with snuz I won't bore you but we now have the chicco next 2 me although Carter is still in his moses.

Pram as above what type suits you and your car etc.. tonnes of prams out there we just have a mothercare travel system and will opt for a more expensive stroller at the time. Or a sling. There are some local sling libraries that allow you to try and borrow to find what suits

Feeding if your bfing it's pretty minimal, maybe a pump... but generally a steriliser bottles if you intend on them and milk. Obv.

Changing: we just use a change mat on floor or couch as the change stations are a big space hoard and we didn't feel wed use it but some come with bath etc. Wool wipes and or water wipes, nappies and basic bathing stuff. Some people do cloth nappies which I don't do so can't comment much on.

Bedding/blankets. Perhaps a sensor mat?

Bibs and Muslins.

Clothes I just bought upto one month which does upto 10lb. Carter was 8lb and is now just outgrowing. We have stocked upto one month and 0-3. Which means once he grows into one we can stock the next size up. But ofcourse people buy bigger sizes as we have some for 6-9 already and 3-6. But just bits n bobs. Most sleep suits have built in scratch mitts which are great because the slip ons slip off alot. A wee bunch or two of socks.

Storage if your kitting out the nursery you could buy a set or an extra drawer set for your room. We have the ikea struva set because Carter will share with Jackson so we keep their clothes together and Carter sleeps in with us.

Anything else is a luxury really. We got a mamaroo which has been a god send for Carter's colic. It's a bit pricey but I didn't wanna have 3 diff swings this does diff motions and lies almost flat if needed so Carter sleeps in this in the living room which is good for his reflux to keep upright somewhat. We have a perfect prep got bargain price but yet to use it at it does 4oz min and we feed 3oz atm.

You'll eventually get into the way but there is some basic lists of what's needed online. I believe mothercare have some sort of list or check list for mum and baby as well as what's needed for your bags etc.

Good luck it can feel like a minefield at first but once you get shopping you'll get into it and know what and how you want everything.

With my first I had everything in early and he came lage. This time I didn't have time to get it all and still haven't got my cot as we don't need it for a while. His crib was only delivered to store after a hassle but luckily he's in his moses at almost a month. So no rush for bigger items usually.
Xxxx

Last edited:
The only thing I would say about the cot you have is if it was yours, consider how wide the cot bars are from each other. Now there are regulations so that the width cant exceed a certain amount as the baby's head could get stuck in between the bars.

I haven't got anything to add to what the others have said really. Also remember to locate your 24 hour superstores so you can send your oh out for any essentials e.g ewan the dream sheep after youve exhausted all possibilities of getting your little darling to sleep and you angrily tell your partner he shouldve sodding well bought that damned sheep when you asked him too....not that that ever happened to me ;-) and also perhaps consider an amazon prime membership ;-)

Last edited:
Thank you both that is really helpful.

What do you do with baby during the day? If they sleep do you put them upstairs or have something for them to sleep in downstairs? I've got a sponge type playmat we used for my friends children to play on when they visited (we have wooden and tiled floors downstairs) how old before they can lay on that? Is that what the bouncy chair things are for?

Do mobiles really keep them entertained? Is having one over the cot useful or just in the way and annoying?

I would like to try to BF, I assume I can just buy what I need as and when if that doesn't work out.

If we can fit the cot in our room can they sleep in that from birth? I have a feeling it may not squeeze in as our room is full of bed and not a lot of floor space left over. Co sleeping is out as I thrash about in my sleep so that wouldn't be that safe but other than that I've not ruled any other options out.

Thanks babybee, I'm off to look up this sheep you mention now!

It didn't end up working for us :-( the white noise wasn't loud enough. in the end I downloaded a white noise track on my phone and had to blast it at full volume. It did the trick though and she has perfect hearing still.

As for breastfeeding i would stock up on breastpads and vaseline. Id choose vaseline over any nipple cream as it heals inside and out whereas nipple creams just heal outside.

In the day I used the bassinet on my buggy to put the baby. I have an uppababy vista and the bassinet is approved for overnight sleep. Otherwise I would use the baby swing.

Mobiles never worked for either of my girls. They preferred playmats for entertainment. However someone else might find their baby preferred the opposite.

Yes they can sleep in a cot from birth but people tend to use smaller things like moses baskets or cribs as babies like to be a bit cocooned in the first few weeks. Again, having said that they're all so different so that might not be the case for yours.x

For downstairs I had a moses basket and a bouncer for somewhere to pop baby when they are awake.

I never used vasaline for cracked nips I found it a bit too greasy but I found a miracle in lansinoh nipple cream this stuff (I ended up bf for about 18 months)

http://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Lansinoh-HPA-Lanolin-40ml_1310106/

I would second stocking up on nipple pads and good feeding bras and tops.

A gro egg thermometer was useful too x

As is a pregnancy pillow it's great for us sleeping when we get bigger and great for resting baby on when feeding.

I will have moses basket and swing/bouncy chair for downstairs.
My son loved his mobile, I got one that played classical music (baby versions of course) and I played it whilst I was pregnant just as I pottered around the room. Once he was here, he was so responsive to it and enjoyed it. I did too lol. All depends on baby though, some will be interested, some won't xx

Last edited:
Yes definitely from about 25 weeks play a familiar tune that baby will like when it's born. I did it by mistake almost I got addicted to a perfect circle and when my son was born he loved it being on!

this is so true. Except in my case with my youngest she was most soothed by her elder sister's tantrums. Honestly my older girl would throw a wobbly about something and my youngest would happily drift off to sleep. I guess big sis was who she heard most in the womb.x

Last edited:
Lol that's cute! I wonder if my son's tantrums will have the same effect lol you should have heardhim this morn because I stole a lie in lol

Carter is only now just using his play mat because he can see and focus now and looks about plus we can do tummy time now. Not that he likes it.

We didn't get ewan I downloaded the relax app which let's you play different noises at once and even put me to sleep we played underwater along with immersed and lullaby always did the trick it was like a womb and lullaby together. It has weather sounds animals white noise, tonnes. Also the mamaroo I have is a bouncer swing and it allows you to play through the phone so we will do this once Carter is more into noises.

For sleeping he uses the mamaroo as it tilts way back but we have a moses and will have the next to me although we are all on one level so it's just as easy for him to nap in the room. We did use pram carry cot for jackson too and have that option this time I guess.

A sling is good if you are about the house a nice stretchy wrap esp if baby is cuddley or colicy and doesn't like being down. Allows you to get stuff done..

The cot you can use, there are little dream pods which you use put inside the cot if baby doesn't like being too open. Jackson went in his from 8w because he was really limby and whacked the bars of the crib. This time we have the chicco next to me which has a flap you can let down and Co sleep but baby has their own space. Or you can sleep with it up but baby is still next to you. Attached to bed.

We didn't use mobiles I tended to just have the light projector and sound app on and off he went. Not sure what Carter will take to yet.

xxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back