Asprin - warning

positivity :)

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I just thought i would forward this on for your info, it was in yesterday's daily mail..

Can Asprin make your son infertile?

A study found the most vulnerable stage of pregnancy is four to six months when taking painkillers over a fortnight doubled the risk of have sons with testes problems
Pregnant women who take painkillers such as paracetamol, aspirin and ibuprofen could put their unborn sons at risk of fertility problems, researchers warn.
According to their findings, prolonged use of these common medicines may harm the development of boys’ sex organs.
Around half of women take over-the-counter painkillers during pregnancy, usually for headaches.
But using the drugs on their own or together may increase the risk of boys having undescended testicles, which can lead to poor sperm quality and testicular cancer in later life.
Women who used more than one type of painkiller simultaneously at any time while pregnant increased the risk seven-fold, on average.
But the most vulnerable stage is when a woman is between four and six months pregnant.
Then, taking one painkiller doubled the risk overall, when compared to women who took nothing. Paracetamol doubled the risk, while ibuprofen or aspirin increased it four-fold.
And using two painkillers together during this period increased the risk 16-fold, according to the study, published yesterday, in Europe’s leading reproductive medicine journal Human Reproduction.
Scientists believe the painkillers may be behind the increase in male reproductive disorders in recent decades, along with exposure in the womb to chemicals in the environment which are known as endocrine or hormone disruptors.
Dr Allan Pacey, of the University of Sheffield, said the findings were ‘somewhat alarming’.
‘I doubt that anyone would have suspected that common painkillers would have these effects.
‘It is worth noting the researchers found a significant difference when women had used painkillers for two weeks or more and that the impact was greatest when taking them during their second trimester,’ he said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1327779/Can-taking-aspirin-pregnancy-make-son-infertile.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz14sOYnWsQ

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well they dont tell u that at the doctors do they!!!!!!!

i mean most of the ladies on here are taking it before they even get their BFP's so they should be OK but still a useful report to read for later on down the road xx

I watched it on BBC news yesterday - aspirin wasn't mentioned specifically, they were talking about Paracetamol mostly.

It is was about women who pop full dosage pills with every ache and pain because the doctor told them paracetamol is ok during pregnancy. There tend to be a lot of aches and pain during pregnancy :shock:

The doctor on the BBC News said that if it is to treat a high fever, then fine because high fever is more harmful to the child.

And it isn't infertility, like BAM your child is infertile, it's just that the testes don't descend and if left unnoticed it can lead to infertility in adulthood and increased risk of cancers.

It normally spotted as a routine examination or by the parents normally and it can be fixed with a quick operation.

Dailymail isn't the best source for serious topics :) It's a tabloid and enjoy the shock factor.

Last edited:
yeah i know the mail love to scare people but i thought i would post it as the story ran on a few news channels yesterday. any research into the health of your baby is always useful, its progress and interesting to find out what these people are finding out. not meant to scare anyone, i can't take asprin anyway because of my other health problems. if i could i would be up until my GP told me otherwise!

even b4 reading this article i personally believe all medicines should be avoided during pregnancy....maybe those medicines that are "not known to be harmful" will later on be found to be harmful after 10 years....prevention is better than cure

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back