If you suffer from PCOS...

waterlilie

Reaction score
Hello ladies! i've just come across an article about PCOS and how it reduces the chances of conception for many women. It seems that Spearmint is a fantastic remedy as it lowers the testosterone levels and helps to balance the menstrual cycles=ovulation!

I had irregular cycles about 5 years ago and the doctor suggested i might have PCOS. I had an ultrasound but it didn't show anything although the doctor said that it's not always visible to the eye...we were not ttc at the time so i didn't pay too much attention to it and 2 years later, my cycles became regular like a clock so i thought my problems were just stress related. I am still having regular periods but we've been ttc for 3 months now and i wasn't able to detect my ovulation even with the OPK which leads me to think i might not be ovulating!! the study suggests that drinking 2 cups of spearmint tea a day helps increase the estrogen levels! Green tea is also supposed to be good but it contains caffeine while spearmint doesn't! so along with the grapefruit juice, the magic medecine and the pre-seed, i'm off to get some spearmint tea as well!!!!!! (i know i'm obsessed) :lol: :lol: well, there is no harm in taking it, quite the opposite, it will at least cleanse my digestive system if it doesn't help me conceive!! :cheer:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 2, 2008
Natural ways exist to treat infertile women
By Laurie Steelsmith

Q. I have infertility, and I've been told that I may have PCOS. Can you explain what PCOS is, and tell me if there are any natural treatments for it?

A. PCOS is an abbreviation for "polycystic ovarian syndrome." This syndrome is associated with female infertility, as well as other conditions that include abnormal menstrual cycles, increased body weight, insulin resistance and excessive testosterone in the body (also known as hyperandrogenism).

PCOS affects 5 to 10 percent of reproductive-age women. Typically, women with PCOS have an imbalance in the amount of testosterone in their bodies because they don't convert testosterone to estrogen efficiently.

According to the 2003 Rotter-dam PCOS Consensus Workshop, to diagnose a woman with PCOS she must have two of the following three symptoms: irregular (or lack of) ovulation, signs of hyperandrogenism (such as increased facial hair, hair loss or acne) and more than 12 cysts on her ovaries.

Natural medicine has a lot to offer women with PCOS and infertility. Certain foods and dietary substances that naturally increase sex hormone-binding globulin can help lower excessive levels of testosterone associated with PCOS. These include nettle root, flaxseeds, soy and caffeine. Saw palmetto, an herb often used by men to prevent prostate enlargement, can also help women who suffer from PCOS-associated hair loss and acne.

Spearmint tea can also help. A study published in Phyto-therapy Research in May 2007 found that when women with PCOS drank spearmint tea twice a day for five days during the first 14 days of their menstrual cycles, there was a significant decrease in their testosterone levels, an increase in estrogen and an increase in other key hormones important for reversing PCOS.

Lifestyle and dietary changes can also help women with PCOS, especially if they also suffer from insulin resistance. One hour of aerobic exercise a day combined with a low- carbohydrate diet (less than 80 milligrams a day of low-glycemic carbohydrates) can significantly decrease some of the long-term effects of PCOS associated with insulin resistance, which include heart disease and diabetes. The mineral chromium can also help to decrease insulin resistance in women with PCOS. The recommended dose of chromium is 500 micrograms a day.

Acupuncture has also been found to help women with PCOS and infertility. According to a recent research study conducted by the University of Virginia Health System, acupuncture can help regulate women's menstrual cycles and increase the rate of pregnancies in women with PCOS.

Source: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...20302/-1/RSS05

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back