Coffee/caffeine in the 2ww and beyond......

fluffball said:
As for the decaf stuff, to be honest I wouldn't worry too much. Decaff still has got some caffeine (in the same way that skimmed milk still has SOME fat and alcohol free beer has got SOME alcohol). But it's only a very tiny amount, so I wouldn't give up decaf altogether if you are drinking it.

Just my opinion, obviously...

Depends on the decaff coffee you happen to be drinking. As I said, the University of Florida scientifically measured a Starbucks decaff espresso shot as almost 16mg. One decaff latte would be 30+ - and 4 decaff lattes in a day would be 120+ mg. I don't consider that to be a tiny amount!

From the report:

"One has to wonder if decaf coffee has enough, just enough, caffeine to stimulate its own taking," Gold said. "Certainly, large cups and frequent cups of decaf would be expected to promote dependence and should be contraindicated in those whose doctors suggested caffeine-free diets."

And even moderate caffeine levels can increase agitation, anxiety, heart rate and blood pressure in some susceptible individuals, Goldberger said.

"Carefully controlled studies show that caffeine doses as low as about 10 milligrams can produce reliable subjective and behavioral effects in sensitive individuals," said Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., a professor of behavioral biology and neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. "More than 30 percent can discriminate the subjective effects of 18 milligrams or less. The present study shows that many decaffeinated coffee drinks deliver caffeine at doses above these levels.

"The important point is that decaffeinated is not the same as caffeine-free," Griffiths added. "People who are trying to eliminate caffeine from their diet should be aware that popular espresso drinks such as lattes (which contain two shots of espresso) can deliver as much caffeine as a can of Coca-Cola - about 31 milligrams."

link to the full report on the research: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 185602.htm

As for whether or not it will affect you - well, all these studies show that caffeine is associated with a higher risk of miscarriage, NOT a definite outcome. The study this week shows that if you don't consume caffeine at all, you have a 12% risk of miscarriage. Up to 200mg, you have a 15% risk. >200mg, you have a 25% risk.

That means that 3 out of 4 women who drink normal tea, several lattes, 6 cans of cola and eat chocolate every day will still have a healthy pregnancy.

It also means that if you have one small normal latte, a couple of decaff lattes, or a couple of cups of tea a day, every day, you will see your risk increase by only 3%. I bet your risk increases by more than that after a stressful day in the office, or an argument with your husband/partner!

Personally, I would avoid caffeine on a daily basis, but that wouldn't stop me having the odd hot chocolate/green tea/decaff latte if I wanted. As with all things, it's a question of moderation.

What I'd be REALLY interested in seeing is research into caffeine and conception - a couple of friends of mine who are doctors are sure that caffeine somehow reduces female fertility, but they don't have the facts to back it up. My doctor also told me to avoid caffeine whilst TTC, whereas he told me to reduce alcohol consumption.

Maybe if you want to avoid caffeine but still like a hot drink.. you could try hot water :D Really refreshing and good for you!

its a wonder how the human race survived isn't it....

all these things that supposedly causes miscarriages?

how on earth did our ancestrors ever even have one healthy child, never mind more!!!

seriously, what is the point? everything is bad for someone!!!

Yeah I agree, you can be too careful IMO and sometimes its hard to accept that sometimes things just happen that we couldn't have prevented.

All you can do is try and be healthy - thats all :)

claire5 said:
I don't drink coffee and I occasionally drink decaf tea. I stopped all fizzy drinks and cut out chocolate and still it has made no difference for me :x

It's so hard not eating chocolate :cry:

are there high levels of caffeine in choc?

I think that the world is going bonkers with 'dont do this, dont do that'. I think if we took all the advice on studies, etc we would have to be living in an oxygen tank !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kitty we have already discussed this and as you know my consultant is sure there is a link between female infertility and caffine - on the other hand she almost advocated occasionally having a glass of wine - problem is wine doesnt really do it for me at 7.30 in the morning :rotfl:

I know you can go mad with what you can and cant do - and again my consultant was very vocal about not avoiding varies foodstuffs like shellfish and pate's but I really respect her opinion and if she feels that caffine may make it harder to conceive it seems like a very small sacrifice to make to me........ :D

ROM, you and I are in agreement!

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the report. NOBODY is saying that caffeine causes miscarriages. The research merely points to an increased statistical risk. Whether you choose to act on that information is entirely up to you. I don't suppose that anyone will argue with me when I say that statistically, you have more risk of being run over when crossing the road if you cross anywhere other than a pedestrian crossing. That doesn't mean you can't nip across when you see a break in the traffic, or that you will definitely be run over - it just increases the risk. Some people choose not to take that risk and always wait for the green man, others will happily dodge traffic to get to the other side faster.

As for whether caffeine affects fertility, if I was 21 instead of 31, I might be less inclined to avoid caffeine whilst TTC. The negative effect of caffeine is likely to be more than compensated for by the positive effect of peak natural fertility. However, it's taken me 6 months not to get pregnant so far, and so I am willing to take whatever measures I can to improve my chances. I think the longer you've been trying, the more sacrifices you're willing to make. It's easy for those who already have babies/young children to scoff at medical advice but for those of us who've been trying for several months to conceive our first, infertility is the worry at the back (or rather, front) of our minds - and it's us that this advice is aimed at.

Well I went to the supermarket today and I got decaff yorkshire tea for both home and the office, I don't drink coffee unless its from Starbucks or similar. Anything that may help a little with ttc is good by me.

I dont drink tea or coffee, or drink fizzy drinks with cafene in so i think im safe if that article is true

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back