Alcohol and ttc

Sandy Bee

Reaction score
I'm interested in how/if/when alcohol affects the chance of conceiving so I had a look on scientific articles on the topic. I found 2 studies looking at the time around ovulation (and 2ww).

I'm sure there are others, and one shouldn't fully trust a single study on their own, but I thought some of you might find it interesting. Please post if you have other data.

Spontaneous abortion (both chemical and later ones):

Female drinking during cd 14-21 --> increased the risk of spontaneous abortion 2-3 times if they had 10 or more drinks this week

Male alcohol intake during cd 14-21 --> increased the risk of spontaneous abortion 2-5 times if they had 10 or more drinks this week.

Other factors that influenced unsuccessful pregnancy:

Females: old age (older than 28 yrs), long cycles (longer than 33 days), caffeine intake.

Males: Nothing they tested (Smoking, caffeine and BMI no influence)

This study was published 2004 by Henriksen et al., in Am J Epi. They studied 430 Danish couples between 20-35 yrs

Impaired ovulation:

A study from 2009 (Chavarro et al., in Epidemiology) followed 18,555 women and they found no influence of alcohol and caffeine intake on impaired ovulation.

They did find a relationship between soft-drinks and impaired ovulation, but they don’t know why.

All in all, I will try to refrain from alcohol, caffeine and soft-drinks during my 2ww.

Yeah good idea!
It can be difficult though! Next week will be the start of my 2ww, but my best friend is having an engagement party next weekend, and I dont know how I can tell her why Im not drinking, because she knows herself that I like to have a wine or 2 when Im out.
But Im not telling anyone that we're TTC, because I think it will add to the pressure.

Surely 2 glasses of wine will be ok?

I have the exact same problem - I can't say no. The summer has been full of 'evenings with a glass of white wine'.

(i'm sure 2 glasses are fine)

Yep, totally in the same situation - I went out last night with friends and "accidentally" had 2 glasses of wine. It's really hard to stop people topping up your glass without raising suspicion/making a big deal out of it... I've tried to stick to wine spritzers but not sure how much that helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back