Aspirin to prevent miscarriage?

miffy

Reaction score
Having recently suffered 2 miscarriages at 10 weeks, I'm desperate to do what I can to prevent it happening again. I've read so much on the Internet, conflicting opinions on whether low-dose aspirin helps to prevent mc. Does anyone have the low-down on this or has anyone had any direct advice from GP regarding aspirin? Thanks in advance x

Im sorry i cant help you with your question as i havent heard anything about asprin, but i just wanna say im sorry to hear of ur 2 loses i know how u feel as ive had 2m/c's myself

:hug: :hug:

Im sorry to hear about your misscarriage and without meaning to sound pessimistic nothing can stop a misscarriage.

If you miscarry three times consecutivly you can speak with your doctor as it may be something hormonal but when we miscarry its our bodies way of getting rid of something that isnt quite right.

I know its awful I have been through it too, my best suggestion is to be positive for your next pregnancy

best wishes
x

Thank you both for your kind words. I know really nature will play its role and whatever will be will be. But after having a problem-free pg with my son, I thought a miscarriage would never happen to me. Then after the first mc, everyone said you'll be fine next time... Now after the 2nd mc I suppose I just want to take some control if I can. Can't really decide whether to pay for some tests (which we can't really afford) or go for 3rd time lucky and risk it.

Good luck to you both - lots of sticky baby dust to us all! :hug:

Yep it is often used around the IVF scene, what you need is a "baby" aspirin it keeps the blood thin and (aparently) helps with things and implantation, dont hold me too this and if you want any other tips or any other help and advice give me a shove and i will try and answer some questions for you, also i have a fantastic site that will help too.

recently a friend of mine had some problems (not too sure what) but her doc told her to take asprin everyday not sure what it does or how it helps but il try and find out, before you do i would speak to your doctor see what they suggest.

also wanted to wish you luck if and when you try again, i too have lost 2 babies and am pregnant with my first baby (3rd pregnancy) and all is well, these things happen hun im sorry to say!

give me a shout if you ever want to talk :hug: :hug:

Hi, I had my second MC 4 weeks ago and the doctor at the hospital said that the only thing they know that might provent a MC in some cases is asperin So as I have had 2 she said that I could try taking 75mg of asperin once a day. So that's what I will try next time.

Good luck and take care!

I keep forgetting to ask my doctor about aspirin specifically, but I've recently had a miscarriage and two previous ectopics and also a previous DVT which points to a possible blood clotting disorder. I was due to take blood thinning injections before I miscarried - aspirin should work in a similar way, to thin the blood. However, I have also heard aspirin can be harmful so I would only take it on the advice of my doctor.

If your blood clots easily then clots can reach the placenta and cause miscarriage so my doc is sending me for tests for genetic blood disorders due to my history. I think the tests are quite expensive privately but may be worth it as blood clotting disorders do cause recurrent miscarriage - if you have one then you will be given blood thinning injections from conception to prevent it xx

Whatever happens you would be best to speak with your doctor as they know more because of your medical history and what not...

i wish you all the luck for the future

xc

Hiya honey, I don't know the answer, however, after two miscarriages, I am certainly going to be asking my doctor about it next week. Thanks for bringing it to people's attention, it is good to debate anything that can help a healthy pregnancy. :hug:

Good luck for your future pregnancy :hug:

I had my first miscarriage at 6 weeks and someone mentioned to me that it can be beneficial to take baby aspirin (75mg) once a day until pregnant then until 12 weeks into the pregnancy.
I was pregnant straight after the miscarriage and went on to have a healthy baby boy. I told me GP what I had taken when I went to see her at 5 weeks to confirm my second pregnancy and although she was a little surprised she said it would do no harm and it is practice for some consultants to recommend asperin at 75mg for recurrent miscarriages as it can help to increase bloodflow to the uterus for better implantation.

If in doubt please ask your GP! Good Luck

Thanks for all your advice. If I was in the UK, I would just pop down to see my GP, but as I'm abroad it's not quite the same. Have spoken to a midwife friend of mine, who said that aspirin does not cross the placenta so low doses cannot do any harm, and it might help, so worth a try.

I'll do anything to give myself better chance! If I fall pg again, think I'll speak to the doctor then and get progesterone levels checked too.

according to my doctor aspirin CAUSES miscarriage because its a blood thinner, therefore it wont help any, only cause more problems[/u]

There is this research but this is for pre-eclampsia and women with specific problems, mostly later in pregnancy http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1160711.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/329464.stm helps with conception/ivf :cheer:

It sounds like there is a rare genetic syndrome that can cause some instances of recurrent miscarriage, and aspirin particularly helps with that type.

Your milage may vary but I'm starting to think it might be worth a go :)

If it was that dangerous they wouldn't even have risked doing the trials on women and babies, it would be unethical.

Bear in mind that the dose is about a quarter of a normal tablet a day I think. Was anyone able to find anything actually labeled 'baby asprin,' as I couldn't?

Please remember no one here is a trained doctor, always talk to your GP before starting any medication

:)

I think 'low-dose' refers to 75-100mg, it may be called Junior aspirin in some places. I've managed to find aspirin which are 81mg at a pharmacy here. As already stated by others there doesn't seem to be any definite proof so don't take my word for it. I'm still undecided about what to do :think:

I went to see my doc today and I asked him about the aspirin thing. He was dead against it :shock:
He thought that it might only increase a chance of bleeding. I am not sure if his research is entirely recent, but he is my doc and I am sticking with his advice.

OK thanks for that - think I'll probably hold off too then :?

Just let nature take it's course I suppose...

What will be will be :pray: :pray: :pray:

If you have another condition where you're normally not allowed asprin, such as stomach ulcer, don't take it for this reason either unless your doc says. It can interact with certain medications too.

I looked into this myself a while ago, and from what I can remember, baby aspirin can help prevent MC when the MC's are caused by a certain condition only.

So id very strongly advice NOT taking this unless you have been advised to by your doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back