anything i've forgotten?

agreed, get no more than one pack per brand of nappies.

also get some formula, even if you are 100% planning to breastfeed it might not work and its good to have a back up plan if needed, if you are going to breast feed the 200 mL cartons are probaby better value. we got an £8 can of aptimil and used it for two bottles (one of which he didn't even drink) before we had to chuck it as it had been open more than 4 weeks.

Clothes, only wash some in case you wind up returning others, can't return if no tags.

a good supply of tissues, once you get baby blues you'll need them for the tears.

Matchsticks to prop open your eyelids.

A good supplly of Muslins, by the time you leave two in your changing bag and for some reason alswys have two otrhees floating around the house and so many in the wash you need a good supply. We have about 25 and i don't think we could survive on much less.

Sandi

I did take your advice regarding the nappies from a previous thread and bought a pack of pampers and a pack of asda (both newborn). I'm still not sure if i should get anymore newborn nappies? How many do they get through until you go up a size?

Im definately going to get more muslin squares.. have a couple of packs but could do with more.. also gonna get the nipple cream! A friend of mine said start using this now to prepare but is that wise??

I have bottles but havent got any formula.. wasnt going to bother unless i got into trouble with the breastfeeding?

comfy clothes is a must.. im amazed at how quickly i have grown in the last couple of weeks, everything is too tight and its annoying me now.. i need comfy joggers!!

I never got any formula or bottles. Looking back i am glad i didnt as i think that they would have been too tempting when the boobie feeding was hard in the first week or so. Then of course i wouldnt allow OH to go buy any when i was struggling anyway as i am a stubborn woman :lol:

I found when Calleigh was newborn she went through about 8-10 nappies a day as she pooed alot :lol: plus i think thats about the norm anyway. So maybe work out you nappies on my rough estimation.
Do you have someone to nip to the shops for you if you need more.

My OH was sent out after a few days to stock up on essentials such as milk, bread etc, maternity pads and nappies, so i wasnt overly concerned with how many i had to start with.

Have you got plenty of cotton wool, as i used this with water to clean babies delicate bottom instead of wipes to start with.

I'm prob gonna get shot down in flames here, but IMO its worth getting some formula in, a 200 mL carton costs about 60p. If you don't need it (and i hope you don't) then no money wasted. If you do need it, sods law that will be at 2 am on a sunday morngin when everythng is closed.

Yes i believe breast is best, but to me the most important thing is weight gain, and for some people due to unfornseen circumstances this can't be by breast despite the best will in the world. For example in my NCT class of 8, 4 had to top up with formula due to low wight gain even though they had been comitted to 100% breast feeding prior to birth.

Sandi

Sandi4Paul said:
I'm prob gonna get shot down in flames here, but IMO its worth getting some formula in, a 200 mL carton costs about 60p. If you don't need it (and i hope you don't) then no money wasted. If you do need it, sods law that will be at 2 am on a sunday morngin when everythng is closed.

Yes i believe breast is best, but to me the most important thing is weight gain, and for some people due to unfornseen circumstances this can't be by breast despite the best will in the world. For example in my NCT class of 8, 4 had to top up with formula due to low wight gain even though they had been comitted to 100% breast feeding prior to birth.

Sandi

I did exactly the same thing!!! My sis reminded 'just in case'. It's still there now.

I didnt and OH had to go wake my sister up (she had had a baby a couple of month earlier and had a spare tin of milk) at 1.30am!

Personally I am glad I didn't have any formula or bottles in. I discussed it with MW beforehand and she said not to, and the night my milk came in and I fed for 7 hours I think I would have been tempted to use it if i'd had it. Luckily it was early sunday morning so nothing was open - so we just perservered and never looked back.

Re other things, I got through quite alot of paracetamol in the first week or so for the pain in the tear, so its worth building up a stash - esp as you can only buy one box at a time. I also had a stash of ribena in boxes and ceral bars to keep by the bed as I got really hungry and thirsty in the night.
I also went through a lot more maternity pads than I thought. I had bought 2 boxes but needed several more. I would stick with the maternity ones if you have a tear, as from what I remember, ordinary sanitary towels have a plasticy layer - the maternity ones are much more natural.

Have you considered real nappies? We used them from about day 5 and would recommend. This time I will use them as soon as i'm out of hospital.

We got in shed loads of biscuits and paper napkins for visitors - no plates to wash up then - and I would have a couple of pints of UHT milk on standby for emergencies - nothing worse than not getting your morning cuppa becasue the visitors have drunk all the milk!

andreag said:
We got in shed loads of biscuits and paper napkins for visitors - no plates to wash up then -

Im loving that idea!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back