Delivery of Placenta (TMI) and examination of uterus

Christina1979

Reaction score
Ok so I need to know the gory detail before Im faced with them....

Does it hurt to deliver it?
Did you all have the injection to expel it?
Do you have to push it out?
How does it feel?
How long after delivery of baby did you deliver the placenta?

Just please basically tell me anything and everything that may occur, I really dont care about TMI I am feeling the need to know..... :roll: :shock:

I had an epidural so didnt feel any of it :wink:

Its SO easy to deliver - it just slithers out - no pain whatsoever! I had the injection (which I didn't even feel!) and it took about a minute to deliver. They catch it in a bowl and then have a poke around in it to make sure that it's intact. It looks like a big bit of steak! Mine was then taken away in a yellow biohazard bag as I had a homebirth - although they did ask if i wanted to keep it! :rotfl: I didn't push it out - not consciously anyway - I think the midwife pulls it out by the cord when you're contracting. It's by far the easiest bit of labour and nothing to worry about.

thank you for your replies :)

clearly Im aware that the birth of the baby is the difficult bit, i have watched soooo many programmes which show u in explicit details etc...

it was more that they never show you or mention really the delivery of the placenta...

I also know i will probably be too occupied with the little one etc... but at this stage of pregnancy (as im sure you all know) so much goes whizzing through your head lol :lol: and I just felt the need to ask...

One more question.

My friend told me that after u have delivered the placenta they put their whole hand up into your uterus and feel the whole way around it to check it is all intact etc. She said this was sooooo painful. :shock:

Is this true??

no not at all

yes

yes but only a really half-assed push, nothing like the mighty pushes i had to do to get head out!

How does it feel?
it just flopped out, a bit like pulling out a big, ready-to-change tampon! (sorry tmi lol!)

it was probably 10-15 mins, but felt like about 2 mins!

I think they did have a look down there to see if I'd torn and it stung a bit but we were too occupied with the baby to worry about it too much.

I found it more painful than the actual birth - but I was doing it all wrong.... try not to push it out like I was!!!

no-one put their hand up into my uterus! :shock: thank goodness!

if u wanna see a vid theres one on youtube but i cant remember the link sorry

no not at all

yes

no she pulled the cord and it came by itself!

How does it feel?
like a big warm steak lol

not long.. few mins!

didnt hurt at all, i didnt have the injection with either of my kids, it followed about 8 mins after baby

mine did... well my rib cage did

yes and several oxytocin (the hormone that increases uterine contractions) drips, which were squeezed into me... but what did it do??? Squat.!!!

nope.. the midwife pulled on the cord, cord and membranes came away, placenta stayed put :rotfl: A surgeon had to go in and take it out by hand, the same way the baby came out :rotfl:

How does it feel?
dunnol

4 hours I think in total... but then mine was removed manually in theatre. It was a bit like someone doing the dishes in my tummy and when the placenta FINALLY came away, in two big pieces, it felt like a plaster being torn off... My ribs hurt.. but it didn't hurt much in general because I had a complete spinal block... It only hurt after really, and mainly because of the amount of oxytocin drip they gave me to get my uterus to contract

NO

NO, GOT OFFERED THO, BUT REFUSED

YES

How does it feel?
REALLY STRANGE

FEW MINUTES

No! they dont put their hand into your uterus, after baby is born they gently feel your tummy to see the position of your uterus, and whenever the mw visits after the birth they will probably do it. The only reason they may ever need to do that would be if your placenta was retained or you were haemmoraging(sp?). :hug:

no it just feels like the muscles you use to pee but bigger.. but it doesn't hurt just feels a bit weird really :) it's squashy remember, not hard like the babys head.

i did yes

sort of but it squishes itself out by itself

How does it feel?
felt all squelchy, soft and wet

i got out of the birth pool, got onto the bed to dry off, they gave me the injection, then it sort of came out a few minutes later. by then i didn't really care though :)

but really, it's nothing to worry about xx

Nope - but I was in water, so not sure about otherwise. Your body just keeps contracting.

No - I had a home birth without drugs but after 20 mins, was crying for the injection but the m/w talked me out of it. Was delivered about 25 mins after the baby. The hardest part was watching OH doing skin to skin with baby outside the pool while I was still labouring with the placenta.

Yes - but it was nothing compared to the baby - slithered out really with little effort - your body is still contracting.

How does it feel?
Like giving birth to a jellyfish! I think that's what I said at the time!

As above...

No

Yeah, barely noticed them giving it though

only a little

How does it feel?
very soft and squishy!

A couple of minutes

Midwife didn't put her hand in thank god but I remember her massaging my abdomen to help it return to its pre-pregnancy position and to make sure I wasn't haemorraging, which I did find quite sore and they let me have gas and air for it.

I had the injection and it was gently tugged to relase it and it didnt bother me abit, was the sie of a small dinner plate and sisnt hurt atall.

not at all, well i was so high on the gas and air

Did you all have the injection to expel it? yes

Do you have to push it out? i dont remember. i think the mw pulled it out

How does it feel? i didnt touch it
How long after delivery of baby did you deliver the placenta? about 10 minutes.

I had the injection too and the m/w just yanked it out, looks a bit like a brain :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back