Anyone sitting on towels yet??!!

X5OT

Reaction score
Was going to start sitting on some nice thick towels in the car soon - primarily in case waters break in the car (knees lower than hips position), and secondly to try to make sure the baby is in a good position for birth. Has anyone else done this / plan on doing this? Has anyone found a better solution? Waterproof seat covers etc ??

You can get waterproof mattress covers in Mothercare :) lol.

I didn't bother with any of that, and my waters broke in hospital anyway :)

do your waters normally break when your knees and lower than your knees?

i didnt know that

and nah we aint doing that.

Robyn_ said:
do your waters normally break when your knees and lower than your knees?

i didnt know that

and nah we aint doing that.

No, but they suggest that if you sit with your knees highter than your hips the baby is encouraged into a less-than-optimal position for birth. Nothing to do with the waters breaking or not :)

leckershell said:
You can get waterproof mattress covers in Mothercare :) lol.

I didn't bother with any of that, and my waters broke in hospital anyway :)

I'm just really worried that waters will go and ruin my car seat / mattress - there are only 2 things that worry me about the whole labour and birth process, and the waters breaking is one of them - lol

Abit early for worrying about your waters breaking?

I'm not worried about that at all, my waters will break when they break, towels won't be any effect when it happens btw

I wanted my waters to break cos they didnt with Ellis and i would like to have the experiance.... but reading this thread has just made me think, if they do, I'll be the one cleaning it up not the hospital haha.... I am having second thoughts now

xxxxxx

Josephine_Beth said:
Abit early for worrying about your waters breaking?

I'm not worried about that at all, my waters will break when they break, towels won't be any effect when it happens btw

Never too early to start planning ahead! My sister-in-law's waters broke at 28 weeks (our nephew was born premi at 28 weeks and is now 38 weeks old).

Just thought towels would help absorb some of the fluids if I am sat driving?

alfie said:
Pampers care mats are worth having!!!

havent heard of these! Can i just get them from Mothercare / Boots?

Cheers

You can get them from tesco and places like that too :D

Never had my waters break on me and i waiting for my 4th to stop being stubborn and come out, they all broke when i was pushing baby out!

alfie said:
Pampers care mats are worth having!!!

havent heard of these! Can i just get them from Mothercare / Boots?

Cheers

You can get them from tesco and places like that too :D

Never had my waters break on me and i waiting for my 4th to stop being stubborn and come out, they all broke when i was pushing baby out!

Usually if the waters go at the start of labour, then your baby is NOT in the optimal position: the baby is likely to be in the posterior (back-to-back) position. Your labour will be much longer and more painful.

If you are doing all you can to get your baby into the optimal position for birth, then this is the best precaution you can take for preventing your waters from going at the start - or even before - labour begins.

However, the waters don't smell bad (like urine does) and will, hopefully, be clear, so this isn't something that should be too big a clear-up operation if it does happen.

My waters broke at the start of my first labour and I immediately went into shock. I didn't realise I had gone into shock until my m/w appeared to check on me and I was shivering and my teeth chattering. I wouldn't want to be driving if this happened again. Besides the risk of infection (which can be minimised by staying indoors at home, not bathing and not having sex or inserting anything into the vagina), there's also the risk of cord prolapse or the cord being compressed by the baby's head into the pelvis (usually due to the baby being in the posterior position). I'd be much more worried about these issues than cleaning up. If your waters do go early and you're worried about cord prolapse, get on all fours and stick your bum in the air, and your head on the floor until you have been checked by a m/w.

Lastly, your S-i-L going into labour early should have no bearing on you going into labour early. When your grandmother, your mother and your sister(s), if any, have gone into labour is usually a good indication - but not always - of when you'll go into labour (as is the length of their labours a good guide to how long yours might last).

It's perfectly normal to have concerns about labour/birth and you just happen to have fixated on this particular topic :D It's better than worrying about the pain! :D

Funny thing... i haven't even thought about it.... :think: now i am thinking.....oopppss I have just got a new bed... :doh: maybe i might get a mat just incase, nearer the time... :D Lv Yvonne x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back