Anyone ever set up/ ran a Mums and Toddlers group?

Jen & Her Men

Reaction score
Im thinking of setting one up in my local area as there isn't one in Lydiate and I thought it would be a good way to meet people whilst doing sommat nice in the community.

I am gonna contact a couple of venues and also advertise in the local paper and local doctors etc but I was wondering if anyone had any advice / pointers / top tips on how to go about it and for things like getting toy donations etc for the kids.

yes!

My sister set up a parent and toddler group at the local school on the community room, now we both run it together.

You will find alot of people will throw toys at you for your playgroup, our's has loads and they have all been donated.

We charge 50p on a Monday and £1 on a Wednesday because Wednesday we do activities and Monday is just play.

The money we get from parents goes towards tea, coffee, sugar, bread for toast, butter & fruit.

We also do something for charity each year, we have just finished the Big toddle waddle and raised so much for bernado's and so much for the playgroup, and the money we raised for playgroup took us all swimming in the 6 week hols :cheer:

Contact schools or churches where they have a hall to see if you can set up and get voulenteers to help too, me or my sister don't get paid we just do it for our children.

Good luck!!!

you and anyone that is helping you will need to be crb checked and first aid trained and you will need public liability insurance

Thanks Jade. I may be picking your brains further via PM if thats ok? Do you have a bank account and did you register as a charity? If so where did you start for that cos I have heard in order to get funding and grants etc i need to be a registered charity..

Im already CRB checked Mary as i have worked in schools before and Im booked on a first aid course in 2 weeks! :cheer:

Also looking into the insurance too. I have been told that if the hall has it then i should be covered so im gonna do a bit of investigating.

Thanks guys!
:hug: :hug:

As for toys and equipment, get yourself signed up to freecycle, it's amazing what people give offer and ask for!

Good luck :D

Oooh Jen, this sound slike a great idea and something you'd be FAB at! There's already a great babies and toddlers group in my village, I'll try and think of some ideas that we already do for you - I'll be back later.

Valentine Xxx

Jen&James said:
Im already CRB checked Mary as i have worked in schools before and Im booked on a first aid course in 2 weeks! :cheer:

Also looking into the insurance too. I have been told that if the hall has it then i should be covered so im gonna do a bit of investigating.

Thanks guys!
:hug: :hug:
I think the groups i go to have their own insurance, i think to be honest having your own will be better and give you greater peace of mind.
Regarding the CRB these are a really sticky wicket, My friend and i had enhanced ones done because we worked (voluntary) with children and adults with learning difficulties, my friend started running another group for adults with learning difficulties and had to get a different CRB and started helping at her niece's school which she needed another for that.So 3 in total, I think for each seperate thing you do yo need one for. The other thing is you can't apply for a one yourself, I got mine done through a local community partnership that helps local volunteers, If there is a local organisation that does that around you they may be able to help with funding too, and don't get me started on funding forms, jeez they can be a bit of a nightmare.
Good Luck :hug: :hug: :hug:

I was CRB checked when I worked at my local out of school club and then when I started DJing and doing kids parties I had to have a new CRB check, I believe that your CRB check is just for the venue/place/company which will be on your certificate!

A new CRB is required for each thing you do. I had a CRB when I was helping out at Beth & Toms school when we moved to Oxford and even though that hadn't expired, I still had to have a new one for my nursing.

I also recall hearing that they also have to be re checked every 12 months? Could be incorrect on that one though! :)

its a great idea jen, i used to run one. the other are right u need a new enhanced crb everytime u do sumthin different, the hall shud be coverd for insurance tho. but u may need sum for urself if anythin was to happen.
u can borrow toys from the toy libraries provided by sure start, u will get more info on www.childcarelink.gov.uk
hope it works hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back