Any ideas of the price?

reallyoldmum

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone on here is having to pay privately?

I suffered a pretty traumatic ectopic in December and since I have only had one bleed of 5 days starting on the 13 Jan so my cycle is now 80+ long. My GP has referred me to our local fertility clinic but due to my age I will have to pay privately to be seen.

We have agreed to this but I am now wondering just how much it will be??? The GP felt I just needed to be pescribed something to kick start my hormones as up to my ectopic last year I had very regular 28/29 day cycles with ovulation on or around CD 13. He was talking about something to start my period and then maybe chlomid for ovulation. When we asked him he thought it would be no more than "a couple of hundred pounds initially" but now we are committed to it I am beginning to worry..... :shock:

Anyway advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jane x

Hi Jane

I am in Birmingham and go to The Priory in Edgbaston. It is £155 for a consultation there. The drug to give you a period would probably be something like norethisterone. I have had this quite a few times, and its only cheap, your GP should be able to give it to you. It cost less than £10 privately though. Clomid is meant to be the cheapest fertiity treatment, which is why doctors usually start with this. I haven't used it myself though. The drug shouldn't cost too much, but you will need scans to check that its working, scans at my clinic cost around £100. So i think the doctor is right, it should cost no more than a few hundred.

Can you not get the clomid on the nhs?

Hope this helps,

Michelle x

Michelle,

Thanks for the reply - because I am 42 and already have 2 children Shropshire will not give funding for any fertility treatment. My GP did ask if I had any preference to which clinic to be referred to but we hadnt really thought about it until we saw him (thought he would just give me something to start my period and have to leave it to nature!!).

We are not far from Birmingham so I now wonder if we should have asked for a referal to somewhere like the priory - I think it may take a while even privately here in Shrewsbury as they only practice on a couple of days a week.....

Hmmm maybe I should make another appointment with my GP now we have got our heads around it - to be honest with my age we would like to get sorted sooner rather than later.

Do you know if there is a waiting list at the Priory for the initial consultation?

Thanks for your help.

Jane x

We only had to wait a couple of weeks i think.

I thought that the not treating people with children only applied to IVF. I didn't realise it was for everything. That is bad. And so unfair

I would go back to your gp and ask for the norethisterone so that you can try naturally while waiting for your appointment. You never know maybe you just need a period to get things working again. They give that out to women who want to delay their period while they go on holiday eycso i dont think it will be a problem for you to get it.

The staff are very nice at the priory, and my consultant is lovely too. Dont worry too much about the cost. I was thinking after i replied earlier, it is around 500-600ish for IUI so clomid with monitoring should be well below that. If you go on to the hfea website you can search for private clinics.

Good luck,

Michelle x

To be honest it does seem really unfair - although I have 2 children my DH is their stepdad - their own Dad has nothing to do with them (his choice and loss!!) and Dave has been wonderful, supporting them since we got together when they were 8 and 6 (they are now 20 and 18) but he has no biological children of his own!! Luckily we are in the position that we can afford to pay (albeit with a struggle) but it would be awful if we couldnt....

Thanks ever so much for your advice.... I really hope you get to see two lines soon x x

Hi

we are paying privately too and paid £150 for a consultation. most fertility clinics have pretty good websites and are more than happy to discuss basic stuff over the phone such as general price lists etc.

goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back