Girls, help... when did I ovulate?

Lara_M

Reaction score
Posted this in 2ww but thinking you guys in here with me might be the experts on temping.....Just spoke to my gynae who said she is not sure I got my ovulation date spot on.

To be really irritating, I didn't get my temps recorded on the days leading up to ovulation as we were away. Can you see what you think based on the limited data provided below lol????

Jan 4 - 36.2 and positive OPk
another positive OPK in evening (is this relevant to when ovulation
happened?)

Jan 5 for some reason there is no temp recorded on this day??? :wall2:

Jan 6 - 36.3 and then 36.4 in second reading

Jan 7 - 36.5

Jan 8 - 36.7

Jan 9 - 36.6

Jan 10 - 36.6

Jan 11 - 36.7

Jan 12 - 36.7

Jan 13 - 36.8

Jan 14 - 36.7 and second reading 36.8

Jan 15 - 36.9

Jan 16 - 36.9

So, with this mimited pre ovulation info - which day did ovulation occur??:oooo:
x x

Erm... ovulation happened the 4th or 5th if you got a positive OPK on the 4th :oooo:

Sadly not Louise, ovulation happens sometime after LH surge (when you get the positive OPK). Normally sometime between 12-36 hours. Then temp rise. All made even more complicated by PCOS which means sometimes even with a positive OPK, I may have an LH surge but no egg :(

I would have thought you ovulate 48 hours after the + OPK??

However I did not realise that even if you have positive OPK, then that does not mean you always release an egg???

I have always thought that once you get a postive OKP indiating an LH surge then you ovulate within the next 48 hours and this is when you are most fertile. So do you think that even if I get a + OPK then I may not release an egg still??? (I dont have PCOS though I should point that out)

Giz xxx

Grrr - nothing is ever simple is it?

I seem to have the opposite problem - I believe I Ov'd but didn't get any + on an OPK. So I have an egg but didn't get a surge (is that even possible?)

Sorry I can't help Lara, I don't chart my temp [that would drive me totally potty I think]

xxxxxxxxx

I would have thought you ovulate 48 hours after the + OPK??

However I did not realise that even if you have positive OPK, then that does not mean you always release an egg???

I have always thought that once you get a postive OKP indiating an LH surge then you ovulate within the next 48 hours and this is when you are most fertile. So do you think that even if I get a + OPK then I may not release an egg still??? (I dont have PCOS though I should point that out)

Giz xxx

Well, even girls with "regular" cycles can have months where there isnt an egg. A positive OPK is a really good indication that you are gearing up to ovulate, but the only way to know for sure is by temping. If you ovulated successfully your temp will rise shortly after ovulation. This is due to the corpus luteum (on realease of the egg) secreting progesterone. The progesterone causes the temp rise. No egg means no corpus luteum which means no progesterone rise and therefore no temp rise.
If you are pretty regular and have a normal looking period (i.e not too sparse) then I would imagine that most cycles you ovulate just fine!!

But worth temping, as this is really handy x

Grrr - nothing is ever simple is it?

I seem to have the opposite problem - I believe I Ov'd but didn't get any + on an OPK. So I have an egg but didn't get a surge (is that even possible?)

Sorry I can't help Lara, I don't chart my temp [that would drive me totally potty I think]

xxxxxxxxx

Ah but then if you were temping you would know the answer - I think the temping is probably the most informative tool I have used.

So easy to miss an LH surge, and sooo expensive too. I bet you just had a short LH surge and missed it then!!

How many dpo are you now>? x

lara i chart so can help - have you got link to your chart, much easier to analyse

You are right that you don't necessarily ovulate after a surge, but you need to have a surge to ovulate.

So, if you reckon that you didn't ovulate after the first surge because your temp didn't rise - you need to wait for another surge and if you haven't had one since the one you comment on then you aren't going to have ovulated since.

Last edited:
It's difficult to say from those temps because you haven't listed the full temp figures needed to see a clear pattern. When charting you need to use a special thermometer that gives 2 numbers after the decimal point. Your temps would then read 36.24, 36.59 etc and it's much clearer to see a rise because if your temp was say 36.2 one day and 36.3 the next you could think you've had a bigger rise than you actually have as it may have only gone from 36.29 to 36.32.

Good point tinkerbell I think I need a new thermometer.
Well girls FF says I went triphasic today but BFN for me at 12dpo
Trying not to give up hope as bbs are getting sorer I have leg cramps and had a nose bleed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back