Any 1 advise me on kell antibodys in blood??

specialbump

Reaction score
hey all routing blood tests shown up i was a kell carier and i had come into contact with anotehr blood group some time within the last 8 years of having my son.my partner has been tested for it and is negative so the most likley form of me geting it would have been from a miscarage i had between first pregnancy and this one and the baby would have been my partners blood group and when i have miscaried the babys blood and mine has mixed,.they told me basicaly that the kell antibody in my blood will go through the placenter and distroy the babys red blood cells making it anemic and this may result in me having regular blood transfusions into the womb via a needle through my stomach.i am scared whitless.just had my 12 week scan i was inface 13 weeks and all going fine despite the HG wish is easing up big time now and im eating and drinking properly again.
what scares me is that the baby may have to be deliverd at 34 weeks if the kell levels rise and if i was to have any more pregnancys the more at risk i put the unborn child.this pregnancy now was unexpected we wernt having any more and my o.h is going for the snip to prevent any more unexpected pregnancies.we just got our head around having another then i was struck with terrible sickness for 5 weeks all over xmas now this,i am under a consultant and have 2 have bloods took every 4 weeks and at my 20 week scan they will see how much blood of flowing through the baby if its going through its head too fast i will have to go to newcastle to be transfused and i may have 2 go every 2 weeks depending on the levels of anemia in the baby and when its born it could be serverely jaundice and need a transfusion right away,

its all too much to take in im preying some 1 can help me out from experiance and advise me on their out come ect .looking forward to hearing from you,
Claire X

Firstly take a deep breath. I look after babies after they are born with anti Kelly and it isnt as scary as it sounds. I won't sugar coat it some can be sick but they usually have had lots of transfusions before birth but normally they are ok. 34 weeks they may have breathing difficulties or they may not but if they do they will quickly resolve. They will need help keeping warm and if they need a transfusion lines will be put in their belly button to do it so they don't feel a thing. A lot of them have phototherapy for the jaundice which is a blue light they lie under but they don't notice it. Hope this helps.

I have anti E and some of the problems u may encounter are what I could encounter too. Luckily my anti E levels are so small they can barely measure them. I had a extra blood test at 12 weeks to check the level because the blood place at Newcastle said I had to. Again they came back minute! So don't have to have bloods again til 28 weeks. I hope everything works out for I u. We were scared senseless after receiving the letter saying what antibodies I had and that they could cause complications. The midwives where we live in Darlington didn't know anything about it which made us worry more until we saw the consultant! Keep us posted with what happens. Fingers crossed for you xx

Last edited:
I was onw of the first babies In the uk to have a blood transfusion in the womb. That was 30 years ago. Now technology is so much better, it will be fine. Try not to worry xx

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back