GBS Positive and Negative blood group :( !!

bellaboo

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I just recieved a letter from the hospital saying They found Group B Srep growth in
my urine sample, im really worried about this as so many bad things can happen due to this :( im too scared to even mention them... Just wondering if anybody else
has been diagnosed with this and how it turned out? Ive also been told I will need
4 hours of invasive antibiotics while giving birth and im really scared of needles :(
do the needles hurt?? and does it stay in for four hours???

to add to my worry they also said my blood group is A Negative so theres a chance
my body will make antibodies to fight the babys blood if the baby has a positive blood group, this is also scary as it might affect my little bubba :( so i need another 2 injections for this!!!

im so scared please share your experiences and feelings so i dont feel alone :D

lots of love

The injection you have for your blood group is called a anti-d. When I had my daughter we only had to have one after the birth, and it was nothing, your so mixed up in the afterbirth pains and your new baby, you won't even notice it. They now give you one before birth just incase the baby's blood mixes with yours during birth. This won't actually affect this pregnancy, if you don't have it though, it could affect future baby's.

As for your antibiotics, they will give them through a drip. The needle will go in to the back of your hand or in the worst case in your elbow. The needle comes out and leaves behind a small plastic tube in your vein, you can't feel that. I'm not going to say that it doesn't hurt, but hopefully you'll be in labour by then, and so it won't be anything compared to labour. I last had one when I had kidney stones, I've never been so glad to give my hand over for a needle and barely felt it.

Don't panic about the needles hun, I am a LOT of a wimp when it comes to anything being put in me (funnily enough, I'm not so bothered about them getting blood from me), but unfortunately pregnancy does come with a few needles. I have terrible veins and looked like a pin cushion when I had my daughter, but most people are fine and you'll be OK.

Take someone with you when you have appointments so you can grip their hand and look away when your having anything done x

Anti D injection is really quick, quicker than taking you blood, just a bit of a stinger and may be in your arm or thigh.
The drip will probably be in the back of your hand for the antibiotics but this is usually covered over by a plaster type thing or a small gauze whilst it is in there so you dont have to look at it if you dont want. It hurst a little being positioned but once its in it should be pain free. If it does feel overly uncomfortable whilst its in, ask for the positioning to be checked. I've had multiple drips, including transfusions and never had pain from them (except the couple of times I've knocked it!)
You'll be find, relax and breathe deeply, in through the nose and out through the mouth x

Hi honey. Try not to worry. I found out i had group b strep when i was swabbed during a mc (just to be clear, it didn't cause the mc just was found when they were testing for all sorts). When i was carrying Holly the midwife had to pretend i had discharge to get me tested again and i still had it. I read loads of scary things about it and worried myself silly but it is only a real danger to baby if you don't know you have it and so don't have the antibiotics in labour. You have a venflon in your hand and it is attached to a drip every 4 hours during labour. It didn't really hurt, there is so much going on and you will feel more reassured that everything will be ok for baby. Only issue i had was getting the venflon stuck in the bedframe when things got going, that hurt a bit lol!

I didn't know I had strep b as not routinely tested where I was (or anywhere from what I gather)

When C was born they took a swab from his nose as he had breathed in some meconium. I had to stay in hospital for a couple of days due to needing a couple of transfusions. It also took them 2 days to get the results back and it turned out C had contracted strep B from me. So before we left the hospital, as a precaution he was giving an antibiotic injection for it. We were then discharge and he was fine. Please try not to worry, I was told that because he was a big healthy baby it hadn't affected him and the antibiotic was just a precaution. But as you know you have strep B you will be able to have the antibiotics during labour which will stop it from being passed onto baby.

I also had strep B and I'm O neg, nothing to worry about. The anti d shots are to protect future pregnancies not the current one, as for the b strep it's safer to know than not, you'll be monitored afterwards, well baby will and you'll be given IV antibiotics every 4 hrs if you have a vaginal delivery. I had a c section so didn't need them :) x

Hey hon, like others have said, the antibiotics are really nothing to worry about. I also was informed that I had Group B strep during my first pregnancy and just had antibiotics through a canula in my hand. It was fine, barely noticed it to be honest and it didn't stop me from being mobile during the majority of my labour. They'll also keep you in for 24 hours afterwards to monitor baby (my daughter was absolutely fine). I'll also have to have the antibiotics when I go into labour for this one (despite the fact that Group B strep comes and goes). It is concerning that group B strep isn't routinely tested for in this country as so many women carry the bacteria and the consequences for baby can be severe where the bacteria is present during labour. As I see it, we are among the lucky ones as we know and can be reassured that steps are being taken to protect our babies x

Hey, I've just tested positive for GBS too & worrying quite a bit! Midwife told me not to read anything on the net as its scary but obviously as they know, they will do all they can to make sure it's not passed onto baby. I wouldn't worry about the needles or anything, they don't really hurt. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back