antibiotics and pregnancy

HannahD

Reaction score
Hi girls...well my immune system has gone and done it to me yet again!!! I'm forever getting insect bites that turn into cellulitis cos my immune system doesn't work properly and i've got a huge rash all the way up the back of my leg that is soooo itchy, very hot to touch and is driving me insane!
I've already got a prescription from my dr as I get this so often!! and I'm just wanting to check it's ok to take. It's one of the penicillin types.

I did phone the midwife and ask her but she told me to go see my pharmacist, which I did. He said penicillin derived antibiotics are ok to take and aren't harmful to the baby. Thing is, being a total idiot, I didn't just take his word for it so I googled it and scared the life out of myself as I found a link between antibiotics and cerebral palsy. I have to take them or i'll get ill, i'm just scared it'll harm my little one.

Any advice or reassurance greatly received. :hug:

Ahhh the curse of google...

Providing your doctor knew that you were pregnant when he prescribed the antibiotics, the type and dose he has given you will be fine to take whilst pregnant. Penicillin is fine during pregnancy and is pretty much the only one you can take. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Just re-read your post. It wasn't prescribed since you found out your were pregnant? In that case, I would ring the doctor and ask them to verify. If the pharmacist has said it is ok, you should be ok tho :hug:

I was prescribed penicillin based antibiotics by the doc before I knew I was pregnant and then once I found out I rang the doctor to ask if they were likely to have caused any damage (at the time I took them I would have been 6w).

She said it should all be fine as I had a low doseage and penicillin is ok during pregnancy. She did say that all drugs do stay 'consult your doctor if pregnant' (even my preganncy vitamin supplement says that!). As long as your doctor thinks it's fine then I'm sure you'll be fine. And a dr is a more reliable source than Google.

Thank you ladies :hug:

M&Ms said:
Ahhh the curse of google...

Tell me about it!!! :doh:

I don't normally take the whole course anyway as they start making me feel ill after about 3 days! I'm sure it'll be ok. The pharmacist was very sure that it would have no detrimental effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back