• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Antenatal Classes - When should they start?!?! sorry - long

Rosie1

Reaction score
Hello ladies

i am a little miffed with my hospital...i have been asking about antenatal classes for MONTHS now, and the only response i ever get is "we'll put your name on the list". Every week or so i call and ask when they will be taking place, and am i on the list and they always say "someone will be in touch". Well nobody ever is in touch :x and i'm getting more and more frustrated.

I am 31 weeks already, and i'm starting to worry that it is getting a little late! I've heard that most courses are about 6 sessions, which means if they start next week, i'll still be on the course at 38 weeks, which i think is pushing it a little :shock:

I have looked for local private ones in my area, and i can't find any that are starting before july, and i am due in June. I am really desparate to go to some, not only to learn about labour (as my rubbish midwives have not yet told me a THING about it even though i ask every time i see them) but also because i want to meet some other mums to be in my local area. I am the only person i know expecting / has a baby and i am worried that when i give up work i will get lonely and isolated so thought if i could meet some other new mums it would be a good way to make friends.

Do you think i should keep nagging my hoslital?! Is it even a compulsory thing that they have to offer you?

Sorry this is such a rant!!

My hospital was 3 sessions and they told me at 34 weeks that they were starting that day so what you're saying is no surprise! As far as I know it's not compulsory because they regularly get cancelled due to staffing issues.

Keep nagging and questioning them until you know and get what you want!

Its not compulsory. Depends on the hospital or local MW etc.

My MW runs our ante natal classes. Nothing to do with the hospital. But she is based out of the GP's surgery and travels to 3 in the area. But the classes are run in a loop between her and the other community MW. IS yours all run via your hospital or do you see a community MW? If you do it might be better to talk to her.

Have you tried the NCT? I am not sure what part of Somerset you are in but Taunton have classes. Yes you will have to pay for them though.

TBH I only bothered with the breastfeeding one and the labour/pain relief one. The other 4 I skipped.

Also you'll get to cover pain relief when you take the maternity unit tour, so can ask questions then.

My MW has never really talked me through labour fwiw. I've never asked either. I prefer reading up on it from other sources. We have discussed my hoped for homebirth and steps that will be taken by her etc if need be, but the actual labour stuff, never mentioned. Most of what I have learnt I read here or online/in a book. Very informative :D

Drop me a PM, I know you are not a million miles from me so hopefully we can hook up once our LO's arrive :) Once I am back driving I don't mind a day out to meet up someplace :)

Sherlock said:
Drop me a PM, I know you are not a million miles from me so hopefully we can hook up once our LO's arrive :) Once I am back driving I don't mind a day out to meet up someplace :)

Thanks Sherlock, I have PM'd you, but seems to be sitting in my outbox and not "sending". Since being pregnant all technology seems to escape me!

mines 3 morning sessions at a local school with a childrens centre attached, i've known about them since my booking in and getting my yellow/orange book. I do get the feeling its differnt all around the UK though.

Hope you get answers about yours soon

Oh incidently mine start when im 33 weeks so very soon

My MW isn't the most helpful of people, she has a bit of an attitude as well but at my last appointment she gave me all the information for parentcraft classes without me asking about it. I start mine at the beginning of June so I reckon I will be 33 weeks and they last 4 weeks. Thankfully I'll attend my classes at my local doctors surgery and not the hospital, which is a pain to get to when you have to rely on public transport to get you places. God help me when I go into labour and my dad isn't around to drive me to the hospital. Taxi time! :rotfl:

Seem to recall them starting at 34 weeks although i was the furthest on in the group.

There were 6 classes i missed the last 2 because cammy was here already

I never heard anything until about 33 weeks when a letter arrived saying there was one day class being run at the hospital - so it seems to vary from place to place!
I wouldn't worry too much, I didn't learn anything that this place hasn't already taught me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back