Antenatal classes/ hypnobirthing??

suzzi

Reaction score
At what stage in your pregnancy does the MW talk to you about these?

Im 34 weeks and my MW hasnt mentioned them yet, not to worried about the antenatal classes but would like to try a hypnobirthing (if thats what their called) as these wernt on offer when i had my previous children.

My MW told me about antenatal classes yesterday. i start on monday 4-6 for four weeks. im 31 weeks

She never mentioned hypnobirthing though

xx

my mw only mentioned classes because I asked - ages ago. I already finished my antenatal classes...

I had my 25/26 week MW check last weds and she asked me about classes then. As I've already booked some NCT ones she was happy with this and didn't talk anymore about it. Wish I'd asked about hypnobirthing classes now though.

we were given info on antenatal classes to book on at my booking appointment when I was 6 weeks!

Natal hypnotherapy was something I read about on here and looked into myself......MW's know about it but not offered on NHS......u can go on courses (quite expensive) or read books and listen to cd's (much cheaper!)

I would ring MW and ask about antenatal if u want to go....I had finished my classes by 36 weeks!!xx

In with my notes is a list of childrens centres that do antenatal classes. I called and booked at 25weeks as they book up very quickly, even just being 25weeks i struggled to get on a course near me! Started them last week though, 2hour sessions once a week for 4 weeks and another session one evening that concentrates more on labour i think. As far as i'm aware most areas don't offer hypnobirthing on the NHS, i am doing the Natal Hypnotherapy CD - myt be worth a look?
Unless you have a list of centres that do the classes, i would call your midwife and try and get on to the next available antenatal classes! :)

We've done the HypnoBirthing course, we paid privately and a trained midwife came to our home and gave us 4 sessions. The total cost of the course was £200 and included the book and CD. But it went way beyond just HypnoBirthing and was a full antenatal course and we were able to ask her anything about pregnancy, birthing, feeding and so on. So I would totally recommend HypnoBirthing with a professional, if you can afford it. In our area to have done an NCT course would have been about £160 anyway, so I think we've got value for money.

Ideally you needed to start when you were around 24 weeks because once you've completed the course you need time to practice the relaxation and breathing techniques so they become second nature and you can do them easily even when in labour. But even at 34 weeks if you can get hold of the book and CD and are willing to swot up you will definitely get something out of it.

The idea is that you fully understand what is happening to your body at all points in your labour and therefore remain relaxed and calm throughout and just allow your body to do what it was designed to do naturally. By relaxing and using visualisation (distraction) techniques you just let your body do the work. This means you're not tensing your muscles and fighting nature, but working with it. This leads to a swifter, calmer and potentially pain free birth.

As others have said, this isn't routinely offered on the NHS, but it is currently being trialed by the NHS for 18 months in hospitals in Blackburn and Burnley, so I really hope that trial is sucessful so that more women can access these techniques as every birth story I've seen using hypnobirthing has been really positive and I hope to add my own to that in about 3 months time.

Gah! Just looked up the price of hypnobirthing prices. £250! I don't know I can justify the cash after I've already shelled out for the NCT ones. Might have to look at books and CDs instead.

my OH wants me to do the hypnobirthing classes, i'd be interested to hear of experiences at birth, might start a thread in ask a mum. xx

Some of the birthing stories on here are of mums who have used HypnoBirthing, and even the ones where things didn't go according to plan, the techniques helped them stay calm and relaxed no matter what happened, so their experiences were still much more positive than many of the stories you hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back