Ante Natal Classes

Xcitedmum

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of hynobirthing classes which include a lesson on breathing techniques which would mean I do not need to attend antenatal classes. The thing that is putting me off taking a hypnobirthing class is that I know it would bore my husband to tears literally.

He is so keen to attend ante natal classes. He really wants to understand everything that is going on when it gets to the stage that he needs to hold my hand and tell me to 'breathe!'. He is so keen to play a part in the actual labour and has been excited about the antenatal classes since finding out we were expecting our first baby.

My dilemma is not only deciding which class to take but I am also confused as loads of my friends didn't even bother to attend the basic antenatal classes!

For those of you who already have children and attended antenatal - did you find the classes helped when you actually went into labour?

i havent attended as im on 1st baby aswell but i am going on wednesday to an all day one. im looking forward to it. alot of people have said oh its not worth it and its boring but being my 1st i would rather go so i hopefully get abit of piece of mind as at the mo i have no idea what will happen when i go into labour etc. xx

I attended anti natal classes with my first 9 years ago and found them really good not only was it informative it was nice to talk to other pregnant mums. Im going to a 4 hour class with this one and cant wait as i dont know anyone who is pregnant apart from the lovely ladies on here

my husband finds the hypnobirthing classes boring as well, but as soon as she does any relaxation/self hypnosis, he is the first one to fall asleep so he doesn't mind them now!!

Lol Belfastgirl - I imagine my hubby would be the same. The lady that does hypno makes you go to her for 2 full saturdays - I just know hubby would be wanting to go home the whole way through which would make me not be able to settle. My sis did hypno and her labour lasted only 2hrs & 50 mins - she swears by it!

I made my hubby go to NCT classes - three Saturday mornings and two evenings for him plus two extra evening sessions for me! I didn't Learn that much as I had read lots but was nice to have it reinforced. Hubby found it boring but I was glad he went as I wanted him to understand our options etc for labour which he wouldn't have otherwise. One major plus was meeting seven other mums so we now have a little group to meet up with. In terms of it actually helping when in labour, I did use some of the techniques to breathe through contractions xx

I cannot recommend classes enough. I did NCT, which was 2 full days women only (inc a breastfeeding session) and also 2 evenings of 2 hours each, where husbands came along. I had read a lot, so a lot of info I knew already, but there was so much more to it than just, "this is when you go to hospital," "this is what will happen if you have to have a c-section," "these are your pain relief options." My teacher had actually had her babies in the same hospital as all us ladies and so could give us tips etc. Also, I have met some nice girlies and it also spends time looking at what to do with baby when you bring it home. I think we get so caught up in labour and what's going to happen that we don't read a lot about baby crying and all the other things that become important once labour has finished! xx

sounds like what mine is supposed to be like on wednesday hopefulmummy. im really looking forward to it. starting to get very nervous about everything ie labour and what the process is, and then home with a lo. going by myself armed with a notepad. xxx

:wave:

Huni, you're the one who has to actually give birth and do all the hard work so IMHO the classes you want to attend should be a priority. Its really nice that your husband wants to be involved, but times are changing and apart from the usual antenatal classes, there are other things to try like hynobirthing.

Would you be able to do both? As in you go to antenatal classes so as your hubby gets to participate and then drag him along to the hypnobirthing classes so as you can take what you want from that? You never know, going to both may give you some invaluable techniques from each set of classes that you could merge together.

I'd love to try hypnobirthing...might just check on the off chance if there are any where I live. x

Yes I understand what you are saying babymomma - the hypnobirthing classes cost £200. They pretty much cover everything that is covered in an antenatal class but with more in terms of getting yourself mentally prepared by using self hypnosis & the power of the mind etc. So there really is no point doing both.

I am going to ring about antenatal classes tomorrow. Am told they fill up fast so have a feeling I may have left it too late, if this is the case then I will do hypnobirthing.

You could always...ahem...say to your hubby "shucks, we left it too late, they're all booked up, so looks like hypnobirthing it is" :lol:

Yeh I understand what you mean about both classes not working together. I read up more on the hypnobirthing as I was checking classes in Belfast where I live and we must get absolutely stroked on things over here, cos the first ones I looked at where £275 for a group class and £300 on 1-2-1 classes. Same as the 4D scans, they're more expensive here too.

Well I hope for you that the antenatal classes are all fully booked and you get to drag hubby along to the hypnobirthing ones ;) x

Babymomma I live only 30 mins from u! Google Amanda Lafferty, she's from Strabane - thats who took my sisters hypnobirthing classes x

You can buy hypnobirthing CD's off amazon, I have one and OH was bored out his brain, he couldn't take it and went out the room... I was also bored and couldn't concentrate, If I was you, personally I'd try the antenatal classes with your hubby, especially if his looking forward to them, then you got buy a cd and practice that at home. You may find it easier on the CD as you always have somebody who will do your head in talking or moving ect... a slight cough takes me out of meditation so it's nice to do it in your own home where you can relax xx

Nmf I hope you enjoy it.

I would say go for ante natal classes and then if u want to do hypnobirtning as well you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back