Another thing for me to worry about...

Happybunny

Reaction score
Hello :wave: I don't know if this should be on the forum board, please feel free to move it if not appropriate.

I have been BFing little April exclusively since she was born 3 and half weeks ago. She has steadily gained 8oz and gone from 7lb 7oz at birth to 7lb 15oz. The health visitor said she was on her curve and she was doing well. I was happy with that until I met a friend today. She had her little boy just four days before April. He has put on 2lb!!!!!!!!! :shock: through exclusive BFing!!!! Although the HV said April was fine, it has made me feel a bit inadequate.

Is it a girl/boy thing? Those of you that are BFing - how much wieght did your little ones gain in the first four weeks? Any stories/adivce would be grately appreciated :hug:

Hi Hun,

I'm not breastfeeding so I dont know whether this helps at all but my little fella has only put on a pound and half since birth, he was 8lb6 at birth and is now 9lb13.5, he's now 4 and a half weeks.

From one bunny to another bunny..... :D

I know its hard not to compare but as long as your little one is feeding well, seems content and doing plenty of wet nappies and regular poos, don't worry.

I've just had a look at Evie's red book and she was 9lb 1oz born and had only risen to 9lb 15oz 7 weeks later. TBH shes always been a skinny minny and in the end I stopped taking her to get weighed regularly cause I was beating myself up about her not putting enough on, even though I knew in my heart she was getting what she wanted (was demand fed) and the happiest little baby.

Sounds like you are doing great to me :hug:

First rule, don't compare ever compare your baby to another! Its so easy to do and a hard habit to get out of, but this is a cause of a lot of heartache for Mums.

April sounds happy and healthy and perfect! So don't worry!

Valentine Xxx

dont worry! logan is only 5oz heavier than when he was born, he lost 8oz in the first week. he's following the 50th centile perfectly though.
all babies are different, dont compare, it will just make you worry uneccessarily :hug: :hug: :hug:

Connie was 8lb 9oz at birth and was 8lb 12oz 18 days later, but she is bottle fed. It took her a long while to get back above her birthweight though - and she seems to have had a massive growth spurt in the last 5 days or so. The midwife said not to worry as she is following her curve (50%) nicely - so I'm guessing it's the same for you too :hug:

hon, connor's breastfed and he was 1oz LESS than his birth weight at 1 month old. he almost dropped off the bottom of the growth charts.

he's now 11 weeks old and in the last 6 weeks has gone from 6lb 8oz to 10lb 14.5oz at his weigh-in today. he was just a very slow starter.

all babies are different and it sounds like you and april are doing brilliantly

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you for your replies! :hug: :hug: :hug:
I think I just have to find something to worry about constantly! :roll:

You have reassured me though. She is on her percentile curve, so she is fine! I will stop comparing her to other babies!! :clap:

Just wanted to add my hv said the average baby can gain anything between 2 and 8 oz a week for the first 3 months which is a big variation and thats just the average so presumably perfectly normal babies can gain less or more than that too. Try not to worry hun, :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back