And the biggest problem with the Country is................

MagicMarkers said:
Another thing i think thats totally ridiculous is that if a man from the eu comes and works here, any children he might have back home get child benefit !!

UK Child Benefit can be paid in respect of children who are not living in the UK, for instance for children of EU nationals who work in the UK while the child still lives in the country of origin. For example, a Greek parent could be working in the UK while his family is still in Greece and be entitled to UK Child Benefit for any children living in Greece.
!

:shock: :shock: :shock: Thats outragous! It makes me so angry.xx

widowwadman said:
But he's paying taxes on the pension he gets from the British state, doesn't he, and therefore won't pay taxes to the country he's living in, am I right? It's a terribly complicated topic, so I'm not surprised people get confused. If he was paid his pension by the state he's living in the UK government couldn't claim any taxes of him. Was he already a pensioner when his daughter was in the age where he could have claimed child benefits for her and if not, was he earning money from the UK or in the country he was living in?

I don't know where your dad lives, but if it's within the EU, there are reciprocal agreements between the membership states meaning that noone can be taxed twice on the same income. For example I live and work here, and pay taxes to the UK, so Germany cannot claim any taxes from me and I'm not entitled to any German benefits, but only to UK benefits, as this is the system I pay into.

My dad took early retirement at 55. As a civil servant, he is automatically taxed at the source. Despite being taxed in the UK, he cannot be considered a resident in his "resident" state unless he is paying tax here, so he gets done twice. This also means that after two years, he was no longer entitled to health care here because the UK government would no longer pay for him as per the reciprocal agreement... so not only is he not entitled to receive medical care in Spain... he can't actually receive it in the UK either (the NHS that his taxes pay for :lol: ) because he hasn't lived in the UK for over 2 years. How ironic is that... you're right its terribly complicated...but my dads situation is one where he has fallen through the cracks.... a crack that the UK government has exploited and have exploited a man who gave a huge chunk of his life working in one of the most dangerous jobs in the UK.

He is receiving medical care now through my mother as she is considered a pensioner (60+) and she can put her family on her SIP card giving them the entitlement to free medical care... but... if she died tomorrow...my father would have no medical care.

As for the benefits side, my sister was claiming child benefit before they moved to Spain when my father retired. At that point, when they found out she had left the country they stopped the benefit, but continue to take money off my dad in terms of tax...

This is just a small minority but it shows there are reasons why my parents find things particularly unfair.

Ok, that is a pretty pants situation, I stand corrected. There are cases like your dad's which need sorting and it's a shame that there are legal loopholes which leave people without cover.

This doesn't mean that I don't still think that the EU is overall pretty brilliant and things are mostly spread out fairly between countries. I

widowwadman said:
Ok, that is a pretty pants situation, I stand corrected. There are cases like your dad's which need sorting and it's a shame that there are legal loopholes which leave people without cover.

This doesn't mean that I don't still think that the EU is overall pretty brilliant and things are mostly spread out fairly between countries. I

tbh despite having to get up at 4am in the morning and stand in queues and have to pay for translators... which is always what Brits complain about coming here and becoming residents... it seems that its far more complicated in the UK to become a resident there. As long as you have an NIE number (NI number in the UK) which you can get either by going and queuing for 1 morning at 4am and you get it that same day, or you can go to the local office at around 7am to queue and get it within a week.... you can apply for loans, mortgages, bank accounts the lot... :lol: Its quite easy in comparison to the UK :D

ReggiesMummy said:
MagicMarkers said:
Another thing i think thats totally ridiculous is that if a man from the eu comes and works here, any children he might have back home get child benefit !!

UK Child Benefit can be paid in respect of children who are not living in the UK, for instance for children of EU nationals who work in the UK while the child still lives in the country of origin. For example, a Greek parent could be working in the UK while his family is still in Greece and be entitled to UK Child Benefit for any children living in Greece.
!

Why angry? There are reciprocal agreements between EU Member Nations. It works both ways. Obviously in the case of Squig's Dad there is a serious loophole, which needs to be fixed, and you'll get this in all countries I'm sure.

The whole point of having a European Union is to allow for free movement and trade between member states. It benefits us all, because of the bi-lateral agreements.

Here's another analogy. If you were a US Citizen, and were head-hunted to work in, say, LA, California, yet your family resided in say, Washington State, you would earn you money and pay your taxes in California, but be able to claim child benefit for your kids in Washington. It's EXACTLY the same principal.

The biggest problem issee is the price of greggs sandwhiches and pasties, they are so lush but so expensive, plus im greedy :lol:

Sammystar said:
ReggiesMummy said:
MagicMarkers said:

!

Why angry? There are reciprocal agreements between EU Member Nations. It works both ways. Obviously in the case of Squig's Dad there is a serious loophole, which needs to be fixed, and you'll get this in all countries I'm sure.

The whole point of having a European Union is to allow for free movement and trade between member states. It benefits us all, because of the bi-lateral agreements.

Here's another analogy. If you were a US Citizen, and were head-hunted to work in, say, LA, California, yet your family resided in say, Washington State, you would earn you money and pay your taxes in California, but be able to claim child benefit for your kids in Washington. It's EXACTLY the same principal.

TBH its just the whole EU principle, i really beleive this country should look after its own people better than it does and the fact it is so easy for outsiders to claim money from us makes me more angry about the cases where british people are struggling and not helped. Just my opinion thats all.xx

ReggiesMummy said:
TBH its just the whole EU principle, i really beleive this country should look after its own people better than it does and the fact it is so easy for outsiders to claim money from us makes me more angry about the cases where british people are struggling and not helped. Just my opinion thats all.xx

I take it you're against Britons moving and working abroad, too, then?

I really think there has to be a better way to do things than the eu way, i dont think the us analogy is the same you may as well say london and cornwall for all thats worth, its the same country at the end of the day.
I have a problem with people who have never been nor contributed to this country benefiting from it, if a mans been working here 6 months and is receiving child benefit for his 6 children back home abroad im always going to have a problem with it im afraid :?

ReggiesMummy said:
Sammystar said:
ReggiesMummy said:
MagicMarkers said:

!

But they are not taking money FROM you!

Mr Opadopalus (that's the Greek guy :wink: ) Comes over to the UK to WORK! He then pays into the British system. He pays his taxes and contributes towards the ecomony. Why shouldn't he be entitled to same child benefits that his British co-worker gets? Actually, if his kids were living in the UK, they would be MORE of a drain on the education/housing/ health system, would they not?

This isn't about Britain putting foreigners before it's own indigenous population. This is something else entirely. This is about the EU, and the rights of EU Nationals to work and live in other member countries, with little hindrance.

MagicMarkers said:
I really think there has to be a better way to do things than the eu way, i dont think the us analogy is the same you may as well say london and cornwall for all thats worth, its the same country at the end of the day.
I have a problem with people who have never been nor contributed to this country benefiting from it, if a mans been working here 6 months and is receiving child benefit for his 6 children back home abroad im always going to have a problem with it im afraid :?

But the whole point of having a United Europe is to bring down trade barriers between the countries and make us collectively stronger economically. Even Switzerland, which famously has stayed out of the EU, is actually more European than Britain in many ways (they accept the Euro everywhere here - money is money :lol: )

So, according to EU principles (and Britain is a member of the EU in EVERY way, other than the currency) then yes, it's the same principal as working in London and living in Cornwall.
:D

Oh, and Opodopulus was the only Greek name I could come up with :rotfl:

Sammystar said:

Mr Opadopalus (that's the Greek guy :wink: ) Comes over to the UK to WORK! He then pays into the British system. He pays his taxes and contributes towards the ecomony. Why shouldn't he be entitled to same child benefits that his British co-worker gets? Actually, if his kids were living in the UK, they would be MORE of a drain on the education/housing/ health system, would they not?

This isn't about Britain putting foreigners before it's own indigenous population. This is something else entirely. This is about the EU, and the rights of EU Nationals to work and live in other member countries, with little hindrance.

I do see your point but again this raises another issue, these people come here to work and send money home including benefits, while i know many people who are currently struggling to get work over people like Mr Opadopalus, so though he is contributing to the system, he is also making it harder for us to get jobs as they are being given to those who come here and are prepared to work for less money. This happens alot in my area. I dont want you to agree with me its fine that we have different views, im just giving mine is all.xx

ReggiesMummy said:
Sammystar said:

I do see your point but again this raises another issue, these people come here to work and send money home including benefits, while i know many people who are currently struggling to get work over people like Mr Opadopalus, so though he is contributing to the system, he is also making it harder for us to get jobs as they are being given to those who come here and are prepared to work for less money. This happens alot in my area. I dont want you to agree with me its fine that we have different views, im just giving mine is all.xx

That's fine, I'm not trying to change your opinion, just to present the other side.

I'm an EU National (British) and I have worked abroad since 1995. I went to Berlin and I got a job in an Aerospace Company. Maybe a German person could have got that job, but I got it. That's what you call a free market economy.
I was happy to pay my German taxes, and live in the German system. I wasn't undercutting a native or putting them out of a job.
The same when I moved to Switzerland. I got a job which couldn't be filled by a Swiss person, because they wanted somebody with English as their mother tongue. I've paid into the Swiss system, and now (because of my loser ex) I am being supported by it.

I for one, am grateful for the EU and what it represents.

:hug: :hug:

Sammystar said:
ReggiesMummy said:
Sammystar said:

That's fine, I'm not trying to change your opinion, just to present the other side.

I'm an EU National (British) and I have worked abroad since 1995. I went to Berlin and I got a job in an Aerospace Company. Maybe a German person could have got that job, but I got it. That's what you call a free market economy.
I was happy to pay my German taxes, and live in the German system. I wasn't undercutting a native or putting them out of a job.
The same when I moved to Switzerland. I got a job which couldn't be filled by a Swiss person, because they wanted somebody with English as their mother tongue. I've paid into the Swiss system, and now (because of my loser ex) I am being supported by it.

I for one, am grateful for the EU and what it represents.

:hug: :hug:

Yeah i can see where you are coming from, and i guess if i were in your situation i would have a different opinion too, its just a case of different lives/different views. :hug: xx

i just wanted to say that i had charlotte when i was 18.. i went away for the weekend and forgot 2 take my pill with me when i got bk the condom split.. next day went to drs and took map.. and it didnt work...anyways i was a single parent renting privatly.. moved in with charls dad when she was 3 months fled domestic violence when she was 9months.. lived in a refuge who helped me get my council house now..i was on benifits and i was with the loan parent adviser who helped me get into college the next term.. i was given £200 for books etc.. free meal free bus pass free creche free fees for the courses and £15 a week for going to college..so there are incentives to get out and do things, if i returned to college next year id get the same(minus £200) if i started work id get the £200 again. i went on to uni.. came off benifits got myself a HE diploma and will never go on benifits again..and i feel quite proud that ive come through 'the mill' so to speak..i have had a really tough life.. im not going into why.. but i think most single mums stuggle its damn hard work..and im proud i have achieved what i have. i just wish that teens would not have kids just for a house.. i think in some areas of the country thats all the teens know.. thats what their gran did.. their mum did.. so they dont know any different..its sad really :(

Loola said:
Whilst everyone is on the topic of how messed up the country is, what do you think the biggest problem is at the moment and what do you think should be done to alleviate the problem?

My biggest gripe with our country is all those silly girls getting pregnant cos they get a council house. Now I dont really know how the hell we can fix that, but I do believe its the main reason as to why our country is in such a state, because whilst children are having children and Im not saying all of them, but lots of them dont have a clue how to be a parent they just think of it as a way to get a house and some benefits. The parents are not in love, its probably just some childish relationship, they split up. The mother decides she wants to have more fun in her youth, which is totally understandable, she then resents having the baby. So the kids is largely ignored and has no guidance as to what is right and wrong, as the parents havent learnt that themselves yet. So the kids are damaged from a young age, brought up in poverty and turn into the 'hoodies' that are carrying knives, shooting each other and generally intimidating people countrywide. What the hell is the answer to this? You cant stop benefits for mothers, you cant stop giving them houses etc as that is imhumane, especially for the innocent baby. This carries on from generation to generation, the country becoming more and more f**ked up! What is the answer to this problem?

Please note: I know this generalising on a massive scale, Im just painting the general picture of what I mean. Im not at all in the opinion that all teenage mothers are terrible and just after a council house. :D

I was on the council list before my daughter was born and when she was born I was 17 and I still lived with my Mum for 14 months after before I even got a viewing of my house...id love to know where they just hand them out because they don't here. It's sad but true though you do hear of alot of people getting pregnant to move away from their parents... I just don't think it's that easy anymore as now they will either make you wait and wait and wait or put you in a shelter for so many weeks and then move you far far away anyway. Thats why I was with my Mum for so long there was no way I was going to a shelter and moving miles away, I waited it out and got the area I wanted otherwise I would have moved out in a horrible area way before I was pregnant with Aaliyah. :shakehead: No thank you.

ReggiesMummy said:
[I do see your point but again this raises another issue, these people come here to work and send money home including benefits, while i know many people who are currently struggling to get work over people like Mr Opadopalus, so though he is contributing to the system, he is also making it harder for us to get jobs as they are being given to those who come here and are prepared to work for less money. This happens alot in my area. I dont want you to agree with me its fine that we have different views, im just giving mine is all.xx

It says it all really. There are many, many people out there who are just not prepared to work in a minimum wage post. I know of people personally who were previously in minimum wage jobs in the hospitality sector and left because, all in all, they could get more money on various forms of income support/jobseekers etc. Now these posts are filled by immigrants because the natives would rather sit at home. The fact that it is so easy for many Brits to do so is the flaw in the system, let's not always blame the immigrants.

If an employer is getting away with employing immigrants for less than minimum wage then that's a different story altogether. They need to be reported.

With regards to immigrants coming over and taking lower paid jobs, ie creating no work for the born and bred I think we need to take a look at the bigger picture...

(From an employers perspective)
Alot of Students straight out of university are offered jobs over professionals because of pay.
A career woman is more likely to get a job, and stay in it, whereas a woman who wants to have a family eventually and return to a flexible job is not the best choice. (Also applies to women with children and without)
A man is hired over a woman,

It's so easy to blame the middle man but we need to look at who we REALLY should be blaming, is that not the Employer?

I say hire the person who has the right skills, and pay either a fair wage... the buck needs to stop being passed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back