Amber Marie Skipton, Born Term+8 on 10/10/08, 5lbs 15oz

Laura_James&Amber

Reaction score
This is my birth experience, its long!

I had been in slow labour since saturday with contractions stopping and starting, I'd lost bits of plug here and there but nothing major. Was due to be induced on Monday 13th.

1 AM Friday morning both me and James were restless and couldn't sleep so stayed up watching tv for a bit. We were sat on the sofa watching The Royle Family when all of a sudden I felt a massive pop and water just gushed out of me! It was such a shock! I said to James "Oh my god I think my waters have just gone", he said "stand up and let me see, could be nothing". I said "trust me its my waters!". I stood up and it just poured out of me! So James said " Yep its definatly your waters, this is it, our baby is on its way, i'm phoning the delivery suite".
I was shaking, I suddenly felt really nervous. James phoned them but they needed to speak to me and they asked me loads of questions. They told me to go in so they could make sure it was my waters (there was no mistaking it was!) and they would need to examine me. James is rushing round getting excited and making sure all the doors are locked and making sure we have everything and I'm standing there gushing water and worrying about the sofa because I'd completely soaked it! I can't beleive how much there was! I phoned my parents to let them know and they said they would meet us at the hospital and they were on their way. James put bin bags over the car seat for me to sit on so I wouldn't ruin them! and then we were off. We got to the hospital and as I was walking through to the delivery suite I was leaving trails of water behind me! :lol: It just wasn't stopping!. The midwife saw me, and said " Well theres no doubt your waters have definatly gone!" We went through to one of the rooms and she asked me to put a pad on and change my clothes, which is very hard when your leaking water every where! James had to help me. My contractions had already started, they were painful but not too bad at this point. M/W hooked me up to the monitors and found the feotal trace wasn't good so she got a doctor in to scan me. Everything appeared fine and things seemed to pick up again so they weren't too concerned. Midwife then did an internal, I had gas and air for it because I really hate internals but it wasn't actually that bad, just a bit uncomfortable. I wasnt dilating yet :( . I loved the gas and air, it was brilliant, I was sucking on it even when I didn't need to! :lol: It made me giggly and I asked the midwife if I could take it home! She said I couldn't and I was very disappointed! :lol: My contractions were soon coming on fast and were minute on minute off, I was in a lot of pain but managed by curling up and putting my face in the pillow and taking long slow deep breaths, I didn't want the G&A because I was feeling sick. My Mum came in to sit with me and she was brilliant helping me through it and said she was really proud of me. James kept asking me if I was ok and I said "It bloody hurts", he tried to stroke my face and I told him to get off and dont touch me. I was so horrible, I didn't mean to be and I did apologise! He was such a support though by just being there, he sat there holding my hand and didn't say another word (he didnt dare!) I couldn't talk by this point and just wanted everyone to be quiet. The doctor came in and feotal trace had dropped again so there was talk of a C Section, they prepped me for theatre just in case and I was feeling a bit scared and disappointed but just wanted my baby to be safe. James was fab and helped me stay calm, so did my mum. I thought James would panic but he didn't, he stayed so calm and really helped me through it. Contractions at this point were so painful, it felt like one big long one, the doctor did another internal and I was only 3cm, she left me to progress on my own for another hour but I wasn't getting anywhere and contractions had gone up to over 80 on the monitor and really felt like it was one long huge contraction. I was back on G&A and my Mum had gone out to update my Dad.
The doctor came in again and said I needed the C Section, I was gutted because I really wanted a natural birth but I was scared and just wanted my baby to arrive safely so I said "Do what you have to, please keep my baby safe". They rushed me through to theatre and I had the G&A taken off me, which upset me! I love that stuff, I told the M/W she should sell it because she'd make a fortune! :lol: I tried to get the G&A off them but they wouldn't let me have it!
I had to sit on the edge of a bed with my feet on a stool while someone held their hands on my shoulders. I was shaking like a leaf, I was scared of the spinal, really didn't like the idea of having an injection in my back! The surgeon was brilliant and really helped me to stay calm. As I couldn't see what was going on he explained everything to me and told me what they were doing before they did it so I was prepared and knew exactly when the needle would go in. Firstly they sprayed something cold on my back, it was like ice! I was squeezing another surgeons arm really hard! I said sorry afterwards, poor bloke! :lol: They put the needle in and it really wasn't that bad, it stung for a few seconds and then my body started to go numb, it was weird but a relief as I didn't feel the contractions anymore. They poked me, prodded me and asked me to tell them what I could and couldn't feel. Eventually I couldn't feel a thing. They lay me down, put a screen up and bought James in, he looked so funny in the special clothes he had to wear! I had a good laugh at him! I had calmed down by this point and was feeling better about things, I had the surgeon stand behind me and he told me everything that was happening and talked to me about the baby, asking if we knew what we were having etc, he really kept me calm, James was also fab, he held my hand and stroked my face (I let him do it this time!). He told me he was really proud of me. Next thing we hear a cry! It was amazing, our beautiful baby had just been born. They told us we'd had a girl and they bought her to us, I cried my eyes out, she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, James got first hold and he was crying bless him, he never cries at anything but he sobbed! She was absolutely fine and perfectly healthy, she had the cord tangled around her legs which is why she was in distress but she was fine and very pink! They took her away so they could weigh her and she was already crying for a feed! I got a bit upset because I wanted to be the first to hold her, I felt so much love for her.
Then things started to go very wrong, I was losing blood and losing it fast, I suddenly felt really ill, the room started spinning, I felt sick and just wanted to go to sleep, I dont remember much but do remember thinking to myself "whats wrong with me?, why do I feel so ill? whatevers wrong they'll sort it out, at least my baby is safe, I just want to go to sleep" James had to tell me what happened next.
He said my blood pressure suddenly dropped dangerously low and so did my heart rate and they couldn't stop the blood loss as they didn't know where it was coming from, he said he was really scared and asked the doctor if I was going to be aright to which the doctor said " we don't know but she's in the best place". James then told me he loved me and was so proud of me and sat there stroking my face and watching the monitors and praying. He told me he'd said it just in case anything happened to me, he wanted me to know how much he loves me. Eventually they worked out where the blood loss was coming from and managed to stop it, my blood pressure and heart rate went back up and my condition stabalised.
I don't remember anything after going dizzy and wanting to sleep, next thing I do remember is being lifted onto another bed but not feeling it! I could see them moving my legs but couldn't feel a thing, it was so weird! I was put on oxygen (I didn't like the mask over my face, it was horrible) and told I had lost 4 pints of blood and needed a transfusion and they were waiting for the blood. My BP and heartrate were being constantly checked but luckyly everything stayed normal and I seemed to be recovering.
I was wheeled out back into the room I was first in and hooked up to so many monitors, blood arrived and they started the transfusion. I was injected with so many different things and was really tired. I was also connected to the BP machine for the rest of the day, it was set to go off every 5 minutes. Eventualy we were taken up to the ward where we stayed for the next 3 days.
Amber was born at 09:07 on 10/10/08 weighing a small but healthy 5lbs 15oz. She is so beautiful and I feel very lucky to have her, being a Mummy is the best job in the world.
I am so grateful to the maternity staff at the hospital, they were brilliant and quite possibly saved both our lifes, I will never forget the care they showed us before and after the birth.
The way things turned out has affected me and I do struggle to understand it sometimes as what happened to me is very rare so I wonder why me? but the main thing is my baby arrived safely, I wouldn't change what happened for the world because Amber is worth every second of it. Heres a pic of my gorgeous girl.

wow, i cried reading that! glad you're ok, hun congratulations :hug:

Welcome Amber! It got a bit scary at the end hey? Bless James, he must have been pertrified!

Glad you're both safe and sound xxxx

:hug: :hug: that must have been so scary for you all. Glad you are all ok now, Amber is beautiful, congratulations :hug:

Gosh hun glad you and baby are well.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS :clap: :cheer:

My sister also lost 4 pints and had to be rushed into theater, plus her lo was born not breathing :shock:
Like yourself hun they managed to sort it.
I can imagine you felt drained for days after, my sisters lips were blue :shock:

Well done hun

Congradulations again hunny!! :)

Well done, you did good!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Amber is beautiful, you should be so proud.

Love to James too xxx

Wow, what a story. Pleased all is well now.
Congratulations, she's gorgeous. :cheer:

Well done sweetheart :hug: Sounds like you had a rough time but am glad you and Amber are both safe and well! She's so beautiful and dinky! :eek: :hug:

charlotte_ said:
wow, i cried reading that! glad you're ok, hun congratulations :hug:
Me too!!
Congratulations Laura! Amber is beautiful and I hope the trauma you had to deal with doesnt affect you too badly :hug: :hug: :hug:

Congratulations hun on your beautiful baby girl :cheer:

Gosh that must have been scary for you and James.

congrats hun!

Just wanted to say if you read my birth story, they are so similar, i lost just over 4 pints of blood and had two units put back in afterwards, Macey was also poorly and spent 11 days in special care, i cant help thinking occasionally about what would have happened if they hadnt stopped the bleeding and my poor OH was watching while the surgeons were argueing over the top of me about whose fault it was,

Now 7 weeks later i have all but forgotten it and you will too

Congrats x :hug:

OMG babe how scary for you all :shock: You poor love!! Well worth it though hey!? :cheer: She's LOVELY!!

Hope you're recovering well sweetie pie :hug: Bless James for being such a doll too! xx

Congratulations hun :cheer:

She's gorgeous, well done :D Glad you're both ok :)

Glad it all came good in the end, you have a beautiful daughter , congrats :cheer: :cheer:

Congrats on your little girl, and lovely name..! scary ending but glad everything turned out ok xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back