Am I right in thinking

sallybee

Reaction score
That nothing apart from fruit and veg or baby rice/porridge should be given before 6 months? Ie no gluten, dairy, meat, fish or eggs?

Also, do you have to sterilise spoons/bowls? I thought you didn't have to as she is picking all sorts up and putting it into her mouth. Obviously all bottles and milk equipment must be sterile but is it ok that spoons and bowls are just very clean? Xx

We stopped sterilizing at 4 m old (a advised in Greece in uk advice is sterilize bottle until 1 I think) never sterilized anything for her solids.
I only gave vegetables and fruits and sown baby porridge and baby rice until 5 m and 3 weeks and those baby puffs that are made with corn anyway.

"At this early stage, there are a few foods to avoid – ones they may develop an allergy to. Until your baby is 6 months old, it’s best to steer clear of gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, barley and oats. Eggs and fish should also be avoided until 6 months. Peanuts should be avoided until 3 years of age if there’s a history of peanut allergy in your family."

http://www.cowandgate.co.uk/feeding...rticle/my_babys_weaning_stage_1_4_plus_months

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/solid-foods-weaning.aspx

Last edited:
Thank you. I thought I was right but a lot of my friends with 4/5m old babies seem to be giving toast, yoghurt etc which I thought wasn't right. At least I know to steer clear of it myself xx

We only gave fruit and veg before 6 months. Check baby porridge as some contain gluten!

I don't sterilise spoons and cutlery. Just bottles :)
Xx

I was told that you need to sterilise spoons and dishes before to age of 6 months, then I caught Harry kicking his highchair tray and kissing the dog so I stopped!! X

I wouldn't even know how to sterilise bowls/spoons. Cold water steriliser? Xx

I used to just chuck them all in my electric Avent steriliser! I think a good scrub with fairy liquid and hot water is sufficient x

I have never sterilised anything for Tilly's weaning!I think a good wash or a go in the dishwasher is perfectly adequate for most things apart from bottles. And yes, you're right about the foods before 6 months xxx

I am just sticking to fruit and veg for the time being.

I am not sure about dairy?? I guess that is after 6 months too??

I have a microwave steriliser and I pop the bowls and spoons in there

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back