How important..how much food?

Redshoes

Reaction score
How important is it to have LO eating regularly now, and how much is enough? Isaac is OK with eating, but he doesn;t eat much at all, and has roughly 20-30oz of formula a day. Today he ate half a tangerine, 3 carrot flavour organix crisps, half a rusk, a HiPP biscuit and tasted and played with some pear and some toast. He won't eat baby rice or porridge, and he generally doesn't entertain meat meals, so I've stuck to fruit and vegetable meals, which on a very good day he will eat half of a veg jar, half of a fruit jar, and he isn't yet entertaining drinking water from a baby beaker either :? I have to admit I'm a bit worried, physically he's never still, and definitely putting on weight, so I'm thinking I shouldn't worry but still, should I?

Hun it does sound like he isnt eating much, but if he is putting on weight at a normal rate, he is OK. I suggest you speak to your HV about it.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Lisa

Aimee was always the same, the most she ever ate was half a jar of baby food. He is drinking a good amount of milk, a lot more than Aimee ever did and HV told me as long as they are putting on some weight they are fine. You said hes gaining weight fine so I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep getting his weight checked regularly.

Have u though about cutting his milk down so that he is hungrier, he may be filling up on milk so that he doesnt want food, my hv said that they need a pint of milk a day,is he having food before his milk?

Thankyou for replying :hug: :hug: :hug: I'm worried mainly because of the nutritional value of food stuffs, and the language development that comes from eating and them using their tongue etc

I could cut his formula down yes, but I think that would make me worry more :? I do think that's what the HV would suggest too, but I shall be seeing here in the next couple of weeks, and shall bring it up if I feel things haven't 'improved'.

Isaac's offered his jars, 'proper food' about an hr before I know he'll be wanting a bottle, that way there's time for him to eat as he's getting hungry, but not screaming for a bottle. I've had most success when putting on the TV, he likes to eat while watching that, which I find odd :| I offer him fruit, rusks, baby goodies throughout the day at all different times.

Evie was like this at Isaacs age.

On the advice of my Mum (they always know best :D) I cut down on how often she was offered food because she was basically snacking on food or milk every couple of hours and because she wasn't particulary hungry would have a few mouthfuls and then give up :roll:

She was given milk and cereal at breakfast, milk mid morning, lunch of finger foods around 1pm and then nothing but water until dinner (5ish). I found she started eating a really good dinner (puree veg, pudding and more finger foods) and most importantly it has really helped with her sleeping and she started going through the night :cheer: I think because she had a proper full belly, topped up with a milk feed before bed at 7pm ish.

Isaac can go for quite a time during the afternoon Fluffy Bunny, so your idea of offering only water may be something I can try that will help Isaac :) I really hope so, though the main ingrediant he's missing is iron, he's not eating meats so need to work those in, and fish too, will keep at it obviously, he does eat so at least he's not food phobic, just needs his routine enhancing. Isaac does sleep quite well, 7-8pm until 5-6am, but teething has upset that now anyway. Thankyou very much for the experience Fluffy Bunny, very best wishes and great to hear Evie's doing so well :hug:

i dont think it sounds like he eats less than millie really :hug:

babies dont eat much but when u look at the size of their tummies in proportion what they eat is quite a lot for them!

Redshoes said:
Isaac can go for quite a time during the afternoon Fluffy Bunny, so your idea of offering only water may be something I can try that will help Isaac :) I really hope so, though the main ingrediant he's missing is iron, he's not eating meats so need to work those in, and fish too, will keep at it obviously, he does eat so at least he's not food phobic, just needs his routine enhancing. Isaac does sleep quite well, 7-8pm until 5-6am, but teething has upset that now anyway. Thankyou very much for the experience Fluffy Bunny, very best wishes and great to hear Evie's doing so well :hug:

No probs, I'm sure you'll get this sorted and then there'll be something else keeping us mummies worried - thats usually the way isn't it :lol: :lol:

On the iron front, Evie doesn't eat meat (we are veggies, although eat fish) and I make sure she has lots of lentils which she loves, maybe worth seeing if Isaac would eat some? Oh, and raw spinach leaves which chop down really small and get added into her evening purees. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back