advice?

pips

Reaction score
hi everyone!

i still have one or two bits and bobs to get for baby
one of them is a baby bath but i cant decide whether i want an actual bath or just a seat you put in your own bath (handy because its easier to travel with). i heard its wonderful being able to have a bath with your baby. on the other hand i can quite see myself doing my back in when i'm crouching outside the big tub...
has anyone got any experience with these? or what have you guys chosen and why?

also i was wondering if any of you have thought about using baby signs? a friend of mine is sending me a book as she used it and said the signing was brilliant and prevented quite a few tears. do you know anything about it? or have you ever used it? kerry you might be able to help

and finally, as i dont have a maternity leave i will have to find someone to look after my wee one a good couple of weeks after the birth as i have exams and maternities here wont take it until its 3 months. seen as i dont know how it works here can anybody tell me how i could find somebody trustworthy and not absolutely extorsionate to look after my lovey?

hope you can help!
ta, pip xxx

Hi

I am using a baby bath and find it easiest at the moment because it means I can bath Rubie anywhere in the house. I prefer to do it by the fire then she doesn't get too cold getting in and out. When she gets a bit older I will buy a bath support for the main bath. As for signing I am very interested in this. Please let me know if the book is any good as I don't know which book to buy or if there are any classes near me but i would love to try it.

The only thing i have ever had experience in is the baby bath seat.

I used a baby bath for 2 weeks and found it awkward to fill and Empty as it was heavy to carry and the bath seat is perfect as you just put it in your own bath and just pull the plug to empty it.

I would definately recommend one.

Baths - I don't know. I wanted to get a tummy-tub, but my OH reckons it will be difficult to bathe the baby properly in it. So, we're going to get one, but also a bath support that sits in a regular bath. I like that less as I'm sure I'll do my back in leaning over to wash my LO.

Baby signs - I definetly want to do this. Let me know if your friends book is any good. Friends of mine have started teaching their 5 month old baby the signs. She's learnt the sign for milk already and uses it.

Good luck with finding a creche for your little one. Aren't there any relatives around you would trust with the LO?

I have one of these, I use it in a small bath and the big bath, when Brody gets in with Mason!

john-lewis-bath-support.jpg

As for childcare... as the baby will be so small have you thought about a childminder or a nanny for that time? A nanny will do it in your own house so less hassle for you to drop off/pick up etc.

You can get a list of childminders from the local council, they will have all bee checked. Nanny agencies will advertise online.

failing that, have you got any friends you could ask?

thanks for your replies!

:D yes the baby signs sound great! you guys let me know if you hear more about it as well

urchin- thats exactly the sort of thing i'd like!! are there any sites you can order them from? boots have great baby baths but no seats

as for help babysitting, i have mates here but most of the people i'm close to are students with busy drinking schedules so that doesnt fit the profile of what i need :? i havent been here long enough.
i'll have to try for a nanny and hope that works until baby can go to a nursery

check this thread on the "one year with baby"

http://pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5363

ladies who have had their babies already discuss "what they could live without or could happily bin"
they do talk about baby bath!

I hava back problems, and therefore have bought a baby support seat, because I can't see myself carrying the baby bath to empty it!

I am planning to get in the bath with my baby, because I think I will feel more comfortable and more in control.
I guess you could even put the support in the sink, to be at your height!

read the thread, I found it very useful!

As for the baby signs, WHAT IS THIS???? sorry if I sound stupid, but never heard of it! :oops:

take care,
mel xx

You can get that white hammock thing at mothercare and john lewis etc. It's GREAT. The only thing I would recommend is that you make sure the baby bath you get isn't too small for it, although it does fit fine in most baths.

Also, if you're short on space, last time I had a baby I had an inflatable baby bath, which was fab, and even kept the water warmer longer as the air insulated it.

Hello

I had gotten two baby baths at my shower and kept one and have one at my dads, and i also have a baby bath seat for the tub, so which ever i like best i will use i think it depends on the person and what they prefer.
I have never heard of baby signs either so melhoney dont worry your not the only one lol.
Katrina :D

I agree with Urchin's recommendation. I've got a small bath (which sits on top of my main bath - saves on the back - it even has a plug in it for emptying!!) and a towel-covered bath seat which fits in the small bath. I bought that afterwards and have found it to be invaluable as Maddie wriggles around so much in the bath it's hard to support her and wash her at the same time!!

Good luck

LBxx

just back from tesco's (my back is dead!!!) and saw the seats for the bath, i'm definately going for them they sound fab! thanks girls! not going for the tesco ones though lol
bought first nappies- they are so cute when unused lol

baby signing:
http://www.babyexperiences.co.uk/catego ... egory_id=1

i want my baby to be bilingual, apparently signing's really good to introduce that too :)

Hey Pips, where do you work? that seems so unfair that you are not entitled to maternity leave!! What happens thou if you were too end up with a c-section (hope not thou!!!!) and you will need more than just a few weeks to recover?!

Steph x x

thats sweet!
unfortunately i'm only a student still, and i really must get through this year so i have to attend exams... basically i take the time off i need and that will just have to be caught up as soon as poss so i want to go to uni as long as poss, and then i have exams from about 10 march (one month after due date)

its been more or less ok uptil now.
how long do you guys get off work?

Im a student nurse so im having to take a year out and return this year where i left off last year!!!! lol

Hi Pips - Thanks for the link about baby signing. I was just going to get a book and figure it out, but it would be great to go to a class instead! Cheers!

lol well seen as you guys are likely to (if you do) test signing before me, let me know! i'll ask my midwife about it on wed

and steph, are you not even just a bit annoyed at having to redo a year? did you study whilst you were pregnant? i'm finding it really hard and my brain is on strike today, not coping with everything to do (all course work, getting all sorted for I.E AND cleaning up after 3 flatmates)
xx

Im not having to redo a year, i managed to complete the first 2 years and just have to return to complete the final year.

Definitely found it hard work studying when pregnant, i was ill at the beginning and just could not concentrate on anything and therefore failed two assignments....which i still have to redo!
Also throughout the boiling summer i had a work placement with the communtity/district nurses and found that so hard as it was soooooo hot some days and the heat was getting to me big time!!! especially being 7 months pregnant....being driven around in a car all day...and trying to bandage peoples feet/legs etc which a massive bump in the way!!!
Plus the nurse i worked with most of the time was not all that nice and made me do a lot of the work!!!!
I also had low blood pressure so felt faint a lot of the time!! so that and the heat did not mix!!!so i was very very glad to finsih at the end of july!!

Steph x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back