advance planning

Bellarina

Reaction score
hey girls..

i am currently in a job that is only hourly paid (not permanent or fixed term so dont know one week to next if theres going to be work for me)

This has obviously been a bit of a worry for me as maternity pay (if i was actually entitled to it, not sure if i am tho) would be rubbish.

However, you will all be pleased to know i have just got in from an interview with my employer for a permanent job there. I have to admit that even though I wanted a permanant job espec with the climate as it is...i had the motive also of having maternity pay for when i eventuall get my BFP

Can you all please send positive thoughts out so that I am lucky to get it....i have been working with the company nearly 2 years on an hourly paid basis already so feel im overdue this opportunity of a reliable job that i cant "b let go from or replaced" once LO arrives.

thanks girls

xxxx

Hi Bella, can I assume you're supply too then? I've thought about this too, and although I'm applying for everything under the sun it's just not seeming likely that I'll get permanent or even long term temporary.
I have found out though that as long as you have continuous service with any local authority (not just one as some people think) you can then get entitlement to maternity pay and sick pay.
I don't know if you're England or not, but in Scotland, continuous service is only broken if you don't work at least one day a week for over two weeks. So you can have up to ten working days in between each stint of supply and be considered continuous. Local authorities might try to break your continuous service so they don't have to give you employment rights, so don't email or phone them to enquire or you might find yourself out of work!!
Holidays don't count as a break in service, though, so it can be carried on from term to term.

If you find you're not continuous before you get pg (you have to be working from 11 weeks before you get pg I think, someone can maybe clarify that for me?) then you will still be entitled to maternity allowance if you can't get smp.

Obviously everyone gets child benefit and you may be entitled to child tax credits if your household earnings are under £40k.

We seem to be in quite a similar situation so if you wanna email me it's [email protected] xx

yeh im an hourly paid teacher....but not for a local authority, its further education but for a private company (so thats where my confusion is :( )

this is why im really hoping i get this job as theyl have no reason not to pay me maternity pay then i dont think, and even if they do come up with some reason not to, then at least il defo have a job to go back towhereas being hourly pid they could replace me xxx

It's horrible not knowing, which is one reason we were holding off for babies and such, but if we kept holding off there would never be a good time!
If I get pg this month or next, OH will still be at uni when they baby's due (he went back to do his year's teacher training), so it's a lot of pressure being the main earner without job security.

If you have worked there continuously for 2 years, do you not have the right to apply for permanency? Again, I don't know if this is a scottish thing...

If you happen to have your contract to hand, I'd check that to see what your rights are.

Regardless, my fingers are crossed for this job!!

Aww sending out positive vibes!

I know how u feel, I was in a temporary position hourly paid for 4 years and thought I was going to be made permanent, but was then let go. Was a nightmare, and now I'm doing short term contracts. But I have pretty bad arthritis and M.E so am thinking of just becoming a full time mum, if I could just get that BFP already!

Good luck hun x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

yeh it would have been very easy to have said we'l wait till we hav more security to have children, but to be honest I dont think we'l ever be in the position and its what we both really want so why wait.

fingers crossed i get the call next week that i want anyway. could do with some job security lol

I see from your ticker you are at your fertile stage! good luck hun!Iv still got a few more days i think. how long have you been TTC? xxx

Aww sending out positive vibes!

I know how u feel, I was in a temporary position hourly paid for 4 years and thought I was going to be made permanent, but was then let go. Was a nightmare, and now I'm doing short term contracts. But I have pretty bad arthritis and M.E so am thinking of just becoming a full time mum, if I could just get that BFP already!

Good luck hun x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Awe i would love to be a full time mum! DH has not long started up his own business though so will have to see if its doable.

sorry to hear bout ur conditions hun! iv got some arthritus and a slipped disc so dont think pregnancy is going to be a walk in the park for either of us

xxxxxx

yeh it would have been very easy to have said we'l wait till we hav more security to have children, but to be honest I dont think we'l ever be in the position and its what we both really want so why wait.

fingers crossed i get the call next week that i want anyway. could do with some job security lol

I see from your ticker you are at your fertile stage! good luck hun!Iv still got a few more days i think. how long have you been TTC? xxx

This is only cycle 3, we got married in July.

Apparently I am very fertile today, so just thought about giving DH the ol' come to bed eyes (afternoon delight is a wonderful idea when we both have the day off!) but then he announced he was going to play golf!! I think he's in a huff cos I told him to stop peering over my shoulder when I was on PF cos I didn't want him exposed to TMI stuff regarding ovulation!! Maybe I'll get him tonight, hopefully!!

Awe i would love to be a full time mum! DH has not long started up his own business though so will have to see if its doable.

sorry to hear bout ur conditions hun! iv got some arthritus and a slipped disc so dont think pregnancy is going to be a walk in the park for either of us

xxxxxx

I had quite a serious back injury last year (fell down concrete steps during the bad 2009/2010 winter) and so I have recurring back problems now. Concerned about later stages of pregnancy and being a mum, but I think because we know about these things we can plan in advance with our doctors and midwives when the time comes :)

ye we got married in july too!
well im sure he'll be more thn happy to BD tonight hun lol....i told DH the other day we would be doing it alot in the next week or so and he had a grin like the cheshire cat lol

awe bless you! yeh i found out i had a slipped disc back in 2005...then last october i made it even worse when 2 days before my engagement party i fell down the stairs broke a couple of ribs and hurt my back even more!

xxx

:dust:Job Dust!!! And lots of good luck vibes coming your way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back