Actual quantities...???

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Hey girls. Sorry to be a pain but it is really playing on my mind. Layla was never really one to "tell me when she'd had enough food" with her solids until now... but now, combined with her teething (on and off but when on, omg do you know about it!) she is kinda point black refusing food other than fruit pot/jars, fresh fruit pieces, rusks/biscuits and fromage frais pots. I kinda worried that she is not getting enough at the moment.

Been to see HV today about it and she doesn't seem bothered as she is within her 2 centile wotsit graph thing that I can never understand. She gained 4oz in 2 weeks??? I don't know if that is normal but its certainly not like the 8oz+ she had been gaining lately...

HV reckons she had had a growth spurt and is now "calming" down from that but it is unlike Layla to just point blank refuse.

Anyway, that explains the scenario lol but the main question here, is what do or did your 7 month olds eat and at what quantities???

Layla I would say quantity wise (when she does eat) is a full stage 1 jar (125g) of savoury food followed by a fruit pot/puree/fromage frais - 60g for lunch and again for dinner. Breakfast she has porridge or weetabix mixed with 2 or 3oz milk.

Is that too much? Is it too little? I started weaning her at 4 months. I'm concerned as the sizes of the stage 2 jars (200g) seem rather alot to me? Surely that is too much to give her?

Sorry for such a long post about this again but I'm so very confused. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you :) xx

I go with hand meture, one handful of each (veg, protein, carb) and that's los hand not yours ;) I don't follow this precisely but keep it in the back of my head.

I'm not the norm but I wouldnt give all that sweet stuff, I wouldet her get hungry enough to eat what was offered n if she still refused I would put her on milk only for 1 day n then re introduce food. I'm really strict tho. Noa don't have sweet stuff as I'm scared he would only want sweet things. They r very cleaver, more then we think.

Teething.. perhaps frozen cucumber to chew on?

She's still putting on weight tho, its just why would she eat food when she knows she will get something sweet if she refuse?

Isla ate the same at Laylas age. She now has over half a stage two or half a stage three jar, yogurt and finger foods. Every baby is different tho, I can say that her weight gain has definitely slowed down. If you look at the graph it has started to level out so it's expected to slow down. Layla is in a higher percentile isn't she? Isla is only 25th (so out of 100 babies she would be 25th heaviest). Try not to worry xxx

I finally had a weaning lady come see me the other week and i told her I didn't know if I was over/underfeeding and she said what oz was having was fine. He was having the equivalent of a whole jar/pouch for lunch and then another for tea, and 1/2 for breakfast. She said that's fine and just follow his lead. He's now on a whole pouch for breakfast and 1-1.5 for lunch and tea. He does stop eating when he's had enough though.

He's quite fussy and isn't having any of the 7+ month jars with lumps though, just wants smooth stuff, but will have the odd finger food snack now fine, but not everyday and not as part of a routine yet, she said as I'm still BFing that breastmilk is still a good enough snack atm.

And she's finally getting round to sorting the weaning drop-in group out so should get a leaflet through for that soon and am looking fwd to being able to get better advice/guidance on tap!!

xxxx

That sounds fine to me, babies go through phases of losing their appetites, like us really!

Remember weight gain will slow down now as they are getting more and more active.

Isla's quantities vary widely but overall I don't think she eats the equivalent of a Stage 2 jar yet. We're doing a lot more finger food etc now since she started refusing purees and that is going really well.

I'm trying to take a calmer approach and not stress if she doesn't eat huge quantities.

Ooh I'm glad you posted this munchkin cos I've been worrying about quantities too!
Lizzie has about half the recommended amount of baby cereal that it says on the box for breakfast.

Her 'main meal' tends to be lunch when she'll have a slice of bread with the crust cut off usually with some avocado or cheese on it, a bit of fruit (so like an inch of banana, 2 chunks of pineapple, green part of kiwi etc), a couple of biscotti and maybe a yoghurt.

A lot of the time tea gets missed out because she has an afternoon bottle and it keeps her full till bedtime, but I'll give her something to practise her self-feeding with even if she doesn't necessarily eat it.

What amounts of milk does Layla have? I read that the minimum should be 600mls (20oz) ...if I gave Lizzie that she wouldn't be hungry for any solids at all!

thank you for all your responses! I think I really need to stop stressing! Layla has had rather a big growth spurt lately and is now on the 75th centile... but as HV said, she is "levelling out" now which apparently is a good thing. She is not under or over weight at all - just right really.

I think it's just a case of first-time-mum-worries lol. I'm so glad to hear that you are all feeding around the same or similar amounts.

Isobel - it's not that i feed Layla alot of sweet stuff - really, I don't! It's just that the fruit pots/purees I give her are 100% fruit (no other ingredients) but in terms of quantities she will have 60g-ish of a fruity "pudding" about 20mins after she has eaten around 125g serving of savoury food.

Becky - sometimes I skip the "pudding" altogether if I can see she is loosing or has lost interest etc. However, Layla does get her full quota of 20oz a day - sometimes a little more depending on if she eats all her porridge/weetabix.

Obviously times change from day to day but usually our rountine is:

7.30-8.00am - 8oz milk
9.00am - porridge/weetabix made with 2 or 3oz milk (depends if she finishes all 8oz which over the last week she hasn't so have increased it to 3oz to ensure she gets it!) followed by toast soldiers which usually get sucked on for a bit but then just "played with" or "given to the dog" lol

12.30pm - 6oz milk
1.30pm - 125g lunch
2.00pm - 60g fruit puree

5.00pm - 125g dinner
5.30pm - 60g fruit puree (or fromage frais/yoghurt)

6.30pm - 5oz milk

Milk wise, everything all depends really on how much she has at breakfast. She never takes more than 8oz in one go (thankfully!) but as she sleeps 12 hours (sometimes more! She did 14 the other night!) at night she always has that bigger bottle in the morning as it is such a long gap etc. Sometimes I may end up increasing her other two milk feeds by an ounce if she hasn't quite had her "quota" but she doesn't always drink "all" her bottles. The absolute minimum she has had in a day is 17 ounces but usually averages at 20oz.

Sorry if that was long-winded, I am very tired at the moment lol. Hope you made some sense of my waffle lol xxx

Try not to worry there weight will slow down n as long as she don't loose :hugs:

She's doing fantastic hun :)

Pauric is much the same although he often doesn't wake till after 8 so it pushes his day late (I'm not complaining I swear :lol: )

He has 22-23oz milk + water
He either has baby porridge made with 2oz milk or an Ellas kitchen stage 2 breakfast pouch + toast
Ricecake
Either some banana/melon (the other day he chomped his way through 3/4 banana himself!
Then either veggies and cheese or custard (homemade unsweetened) ; (about 150g) and fruit and some finger foods after (yesterday bread + ham/cheese)
Homemade dinner of meat and veggies or a stage 2 Ellas kitchen dinner + about 80-100g of greek yogurt mixed with pureed fruit or some Ellas kitchen fruit (the boy loves Ellas kitchen :rofl: )

He's a bottomless pit though I think :oooo: although breakfast isn't his favourite meal though :eh:

Lizzie goes a good 12 hours in the night with no food (after a 6-7oz bottle which is 'big' for her lol), but I don't give her milk first thing, she always has breakfast first! :)

She's doing fantastic hun :)

Pauric is much the same although he often doesn't wake till after 8 so it pushes his day late (I'm not complaining I swear :lol: )

He has 22-23oz milk + water
He either has baby porridge made with 2oz milk or an Ellas kitchen stage 2 breakfast pouch + toast
Ricecake
Either some banana/melon (the other day he chomped his way through 3/4 banana himself!
Then either veggies and cheese or custard (homemade unsweetened) ; (about 150g) and fruit and some finger foods after (yesterday bread + ham/cheese)
Homemade dinner of meat and veggies or a stage 2 Ellas kitchen dinner + about 80-100g of greek yogurt mixed with pureed fruit or some Ellas kitchen fruit (the boy loves Ellas kitchen :rofl: )

He's a bottomless pit though I think :oooo: although breakfast isn't his favourite meal though :eh:

Thanks Mamafy hun :) Sounds like I really have nothing to worry about then! As for Ella's kitchen... I haven't actually tried Layla on any of those! I have come to the conclusion though that Layla does prefer the flavours of my own "cooking" ie especially steamed veggies etc :) I find that alot of the jars are just so bland! xx

Lizzie goes a good 12 hours in the night with no food (after a 6-7oz bottle which is 'big' for her lol), but I don't give her milk first thing, she always has breakfast first! :)

Do you think I should try Layla with breakfast first then or keep it to what she knows as milk first then food? The only time I do food first then milk is at dinner/tea time as she will eat about 5pm but then have her last (bedtime) bottle at 6-6.30pm... xx

Do you think I should try Layla with breakfast first then or keep it to what she knows as milk first then food? The only time I do food first then milk is at dinner/tea time as she will eat about 5pm but then have her last (bedtime) bottle at 6-6.30pm... xx

The only reason I give food first is that when I was giving her a morning bottle at 7ish it was keeping her full till 10-11am and that was obviously too late for breakfast so we'd then do lunch and it was going all wrong lol!! Completely up to you (and Layla) though, maybe experiment and see how it goes? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back