A question about blood tests

Rayoflight

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

At what stage did you have your first blood tests?

I am 12 weeks, going for my scan on Friday and so far, due to needing to register at a new doctors and it taking ages, I've seen a midwife at home who just did a questionnaire and blood pressure.

Apparently I'll get an appointment for a 16 week check up where these tests will be done. Does this sound about right?

x

Had one at my 8 week midwife appt, got another at my scan and then a 3rd one at my 16 week appt. x

Had my first bloods taken at booking in apt at 7 nearly 8 weeks, didn't have any taken at scan and should have next set taken at 16 week apt x tbh it sounds like a long time to wait, I'm not saying there is but what if there was something that needed investigating further? x I'd speak to mw/doctors surgery x

i had mine at 8weeks, not exactally sure what they were for, but she didnt check my blood pressure this time, just bloods, and said see you again at 16 weeks and that was it, im guessing that if there is any problems with bloods they will contact you / or tell you at scan appt

xxx

i had mine today and i am 8 weeks but had to book mine separate as the midwife doesn't do them. ask your new doctors if they have someone in to take blood tests and see if they can book you in,as you generally have to go a few times for blood tests throughout your pregnancy

Thanks ladies. I thought it seemed wrong. What do they test for? Does anyone know?

I had my booking appointment yesterday and had 4 lots of blood taken and a urine sample done!!! If I were you I would ring the surgery and ask to have them sorted out. As far as I can work out from the notes the blood will be tested for
Full blood count - to check iron levels for anaemia
Blood group - to get blood group and to see if you are rhesus positive or negative - important to know if negative i think
Rubella / german measles immunity
Chicken pox immunity
syphilis, HIV, and hepatitis B - done as standard i think
The urine sample was to check for protein and sugars i think
I have to ring to get the results in a couple of weeks (by which time i will be about 10 weeks).
I'll have more blood done at my 12 week scan as part of the Downs Syndrome screening and then will have more done at the midwife appt at 28 weeks i think.
Quite important they are done early on i imagine so ring and see if they can fit you in.

I had my first bloods at 16 weeks, I think it depends where you live. I had my urine checked everytime I saw midwife, but they did all blood tests including the triple test (downs syn) at 16 weeks. I think I had some bloods taken later to check iron levels and I ended up on iron tablets. I had my very first midwife appointment was I was about 6 weeks so everything seemed to be done when it should have been.

Laura x

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back