• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A couple of breast feeding questions

Sarah13

Reaction score
After a night from hell where Kynon was awake all night until 6am with wind and just fussing about I was wondering whether other breast feeding mums have given their baby infacol to help or give a dummy? I'm not a massive fan of either but I need some sleep! Hes 3 weeks old today. Also when did you start expressing and when in the day is best to do it? Was thinking hubby could feed him so I can get a bit of sleep now and then!

Hi hon mine is the same, I've had to give him infacol since he was a week and a half as he just won't wind and then screams unless I'm feeding him :( I don't like giving him it tho. I haven't resorted to a dummy tho as I think he's a bit young and it might confuse him.

Expressing wise I always express an ounce off if its been over 3 hrs since he's fed on that side (usually just before his first morning feed) as it stops that first rush of milk when they feed and reduces their wind, I then keep it in the fridge and top it up during the day and then freeze what I have at the end of each day. If I need to have enough for a bottle I'll express an hour after feeding or will express from the otherside whilst he's feeding if I know he won't be taking both sides. I don't like giving him a bottle too often cos he's a very strong feeder, his suck is worse than a bloody dyson!! So when he takes a bottle he treats it like its me and ends up choking, he can finish 4oz in about 3 mins if we don't stop him then he chokes and throws it all back up :(

Last edited:
I used to express in the evening and in the morning so Liam could take a feed or two in the early hours of the morning (i still fed through the night for comfort (to stop my boobs from exploding) and also because its easier to deal with baby straight away than go down stairs in the wee hours for bottles. Liam would take him from around 5am in the morning and feed him a bottle and i would get an extra few hours sleep, it was bliss :)

Jasper had a dummy from around 4 weeks (lifesaver, quite literally) and we gave him gripe water and Colief which worked way better than infacol for us :)

Mw has recommended colief to us too, I might try it if u say it worked! I can't wait till he is 4 weeks so can use gripewater, he really holds onto his wind, I haven't got a burp from him since 11pm last night and he's fed 13 times since then but every trick I've tried won't get anything up and he's hysterical unless I'm feeding him :(

hhe even lost his voice he screamed so hard now he sounds all croaky :cry: I hate colic

It's horrible when they seem in pain with it too. I've just given him infacol to see if it works but think it takes a few days. Does your baby fart bunny? I rarely get a burp but he's always trumping away just think it takes longer for the wind to go this way. Know what you mean about the dyson sucking too, omg one of my nipples can't take much more, it's when they slip a little then suck on the end and you havent noticed until they suck hard, very sore!!

have you tried some baby massage techniques? they are good for getting up wind, ask your HV she should be able to refer you

Also use a sling :) they like to be upright because it keeps the acid down and slings can be a godsend :)

I've just got one of those moby slings not tried it out yet, I'll give it a go. Baby massage sounds good, I was looking at local classes but I need to wait till he's 6 weeks to go.

The I love you massage is great for trapped wind. I used infacol a few times, but preferred to try and get to the bottom of winding her better.gripe water was pretty good in desperate times. I never got her to take a dummy, I tried but she won't, and prefers to suck her fingers.

It won't last long ladies xxx

It's tough in the first few weeks isn't it!

Georgie was terrible with her wind she never gave it up and used to scream for hours....I tried infacol, the doctors, gripe water, colief and finally one of the midwives at breastfeeding group suggested it might be an intolerance and suggested I give up dairy for awhile. She was like a different baby within 3 days!
A sling is an excellent idea! Georgie hated her moby at that age tho and I brought a cheap tomy carrier off ebay which she was fine with. Thank god she loves the moby now tho as the tomy killed my back and shoulders!!!

Hang in there hun xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

Also she would not take a dummy until about 3 months she just used me up until then - which was fine once the soreness went away, did wonders for my milk tho!! Xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 8900 using Tapatalk

I tried infacol, but find it gives him more pains and ended up unlatching half way through feed in pain :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Briguebbon
Back