Breast feeding but not

That sounds great! Other ways to try to keep him awake are tickling his feet, feeding him in just his nappy, and rubbing a cool cloth on him. But if what you are doing is working, keep it up :).

That sounds exactly right misscraycooky well done!

I sometimes wonder if these breastfeeding workshops ever get any feedback lol

My son just wouldn't latch this morning at all on either breast so had to give him a bottle. Feeling really sore and kinda sad because i shouldn't have given up so easily. Any tips on how to deflate them so he can latch on as i did try the hand express but its just so sore and hard x

Just going give in the towel if he doesn't latch on for his next feed as he is just sucking my nipples to death think he is going to be like my first son small mouth small teats x

20/06/2012 born at 12.09 x

Don't give up your doing amazing! Have u got a pump? Can you pump some off before feeding him so you're not as engorged? Have u tried a hot shower? That usually encourages them to spurt out and might help relieve u?

Is it your boobs or nipples are sore?

yeah if its cos theyre swollen and full just express off some so he can get on

I hand expressed 3 oz's off while he was asleep so just gave him that. Took me awhile to get out, the thing is I have a pump but I don't know how to use it and I just end up hurting my nipples x

I made them softer this morning when he wouldn't latch he just wouldn't open his mouth wide enough or suck it in just grabbed the nipple half arsed.

how do i check for that? my brother is tongue tied so know its in family x

You need to contact your local breastfeeding support group I think? Not the most knowledgeable about it tbh I know Jayceesmum's daughter had it done.

Get a hot wet flannel and massage your boobs right round your nipple this makes them a bit softer for the baby to latch on. He'll be struggling if you are really engorged.

Well done hun, you are doing great. These are the hardest few days and you're almost through them.

When i had expressed that 3oz they were nice and soft but he still struggling just slips down to the nipple and won't grab any more big boobs little mouth don't mix for me. Else i am just crap and can't get the hang of it. Just sick of having pins and needles shooting in my nipple when he is feeding x

Try to persevere hun. Finn didn't latch properly for a week and then one day it just clicked. He was only 6lb 7 and has a tiny mouth, and my boobs went to a 34E so there was a lot of boob. He still fusses a little now, but I just kee trying and he gets it after a couple of goes. In his first week we tried soo many times and he would just not suck! Do kee at it though, you're doing well xx

Think i may have mastasis in my left boob as that's the more painful one to feed from and it stings when he sucks also shoots up the breast as well.

Could also be thrush if you have shooting pains. Try to see someone asap. There should be lots of breastfeeding support around. Xx

I was at a breastfeeding workshop this weekend.
They explained that leaving the baby latched on an empty breast just for comfort is totally wrong and one of the most common reasons that women stop bf. they said it will destroy your nipples and promotes bad latch on technics as the baby is getting close to no food for its efforts.
For establishing breastfeeding they said 20-25 min on one breast and 10-20 on the second of baby wants it. Repeat in 2-3 h. If baby wants feeding before offer the second breast for 10 min and try to resettle.
if cries before 1.30 h offer a pacifier and try to resettle.
Those are or babies between 1-4 weeks.
For premies or newborns until the milk comes in, offer each breast for 5 min every 2 h (at the first feed) and gradually increase the time on the boob until you reach around 20 min when your milk comes in.
I wish babies were coming with a manual...
It seems every simple person and professional has its own advice.
About bottles and pacifiers etc the advice was introduce them during the first 10 days as nipple confusion is only happening on premies or Los that for some medical reason they have bad latch.

It's true everybody has their own advice and the best bit is that people breastfeed in all different ways and it works. I do warn you 5minutes every hour for a newborn is a bit ambitious, I'm sure it's more like an hour every 5 minutes :lol:

yep, when newborn harry fed constantly, seemed to work for us, also even now he still sucks for comfort and i let him, its never caused any issues for us at all, what works for some dosent for others, i would say you will know what works for you when the time comes :) i think all these set feeding times and for amount of time is very unrealistic, i know reflux babies are different though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back