Breast feeding but not

misscrazycooki

Reaction score
Well i think my son is using me a dummy and unsure to give him one as midwife said yes but i know health visitor will say no because of breast feeding. Any mum.s given their babies a dummy while breast feeding and if so what shape was it x

20/06/2012 born at 12.09 x

Yep! I noticed this in first week... As ralph was going on but not sucking if you know what I mean? We noticed it was a comfort thing so we introduced a dummy... Which we swore we would never do lol but it's been the best ever thing since!! We only give it to him for naps or when we know his a little restless. I breastfeed and he hasn't had any problems with knowing what's what. We use the MAM ones or avent. Xx

That constant sucking is important to get your milk supply established, the more they suck the more milk you'll start to produce. I know it's not easy but you kind of have to try to allow it up to a point in these early weeks. Easier said than done I know especially with a toddler!

My son took an Advent dummy within a couple of days he was started on them in NICU, as well as having every variety of teat on a bottle for a week and still managed to BF alright. I do think it confuses them but only for about a second ( I can feel it) til they realise it's booby not dummy.

Hey hun, I have no advice- Sorry. Just wanted to say Congratulations on your little man! He share my little man's Birthday! x

Tyler got confused by nipples/teats (must be rare as everyone else's babies did fine) but luckily the morning he was the midwife was due and came over to help. After my experience I'd suggest doing it the day before the midwife comes so of by chance there was a problem you can get it fixed. I wouldn't worry because as I say I think we are the only ones that had this problem but id be cautious about it next time :)

I used mam dummies but not until bf was established so 6 weeks x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

It was only because last night for an hour after he had finished feeding he would settle on my boobs fall asleep but as soon as i put him in his Moses he would scream and root again but then i would put him on to him to lick it smile and pause be quiet and then settle down again x

20/06/2012 born at 12.09 x

Henry had a dummy on day 5 cos I was so sore I could only just cope with feeding him, let alone him sucking for comfort. He had it a couple of days then nothing until he was about 4 weeks cos the sucking helps with colic. Henry has trimmer tippee ones x

Alyssa wont take a dummy unless it has teething gel on it. only ones i havent tried are the mam ones but theyre supposed to be good. im her dummy and always have been as i have a very stubborn baby who knows what she wants lol

G had a dummy virtually form the start. I wanted to use one as it lowers the SIDS risk, and we have a family history. Although the advice in this country is to wait 4weeks to introduce a teat, the
American FISD recommends form birth as nipple confusion is so rare.

We use avent as those lovely orthodontic ones are too little to get a hold of. Lol xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I've just had a feeding professional round to see me and we were discussing exactly this. She said that she doesn't think nipple confusion happens often and it is most likely in premature babies not full term, fully developed babies. She said she advises that babies get used to other teats earlier than the official recommendation.

My own experience is that a dummy has not affected feeding at all. We use a cherry teat or the avent ones.

does anyone elses baby poo alot must be changing his bum 3 times a feed at the moment one before one during and one afterwards x

I was at a breastfeeding workshop this weekend.
They explained that leaving the baby latched on an empty breast just for comfort is totally wrong and one of the most common reasons that women stop bf. they said it will destroy your nipples and promotes bad latch on technics as the baby is getting close to no food for its efforts.
For establishing breastfeeding they said 20-25 min on one breast and 10-20 on the second of baby wants it. Repeat in 2-3 h. If baby wants feeding before offer the second breast for 10 min and try to resettle.
if cries before 1.30 h offer a pacifier and try to resettle.
Those are or babies between 1-4 weeks.
For premies or newborns until the milk comes in, offer each breast for 5 min every 2 h (at the first feed) and gradually increase the time on the boob until you reach around 20 min when your milk comes in.
I wish babies were coming with a manual...
It seems every simple person and professional has its own advice.
About bottles and pacifiers etc the advice was introduce them during the first 10 days as nipple confusion is only happening on premies or Los that for some medical reason they have bad latch.

I always said I wasn't going to use a dummy but someone told me it helped with reflux which my LO suffered from pretty bad. So at about three weeks I got one and haven't looked back.

He has the cherry teat and i've only been able to get Tomee Tippee, not sure who else does them. Ive tried other types but he wont take them.

I was at a breastfeeding workshop this weekend.
They explained that leaving the baby latched on an empty breast just for comfort is totally wrong and one of the most common reasons that women stop bf. they said it will destroy your nipples and promotes bad latch on technics as the baby is getting close to no food for its efforts.
For establishing breastfeeding they said 20-25 min on one breast and 10-20 on the second of baby wants it. Repeat in 2-3 h. If baby wants feeding before offer the second breast for 10 min and try to resettle.
if cries before 1.30 h offer a pacifier and try to resettle.
Those are or babies between 1-4 weeks.
For premies or newborns until the milk comes in, offer each breast for 5 min every 2 h (at the first feed) and gradually increase the time on the boob until you reach around 20 min when your milk comes in.
I wish babies were coming with a manual...
It seems every simple person and professional has its own advice.
About bottles and pacifiers etc the advice was introduce them during the first 10 days as nipple confusion is only happening on premies or Los that for some medical reason they have bad latch.

It's true everybody has their own advice and the best bit is that people breastfeed in all different ways and it works. I do warn you 5minutes every hour for a newborn is a bit ambitious, I'm sure it's more like an hour every 5 minutes :lol:

I must have had a backwards baby or a bad memory but I don't remember her feeding that frequently when she was little. In hospital she fed every 3-4 hours for 10-20 mins.

I must have had a backwards baby or a bad memory but I don't remember her feeding that frequently when she was little. In hospital she fed every 3-4 hours for 10-20 mins.

same here

I think your baby torino had it just right actually. Newborns need very little food. In hospitals where the babies stay in the nursery rather besides the mums bed they bring them back to you every 3 h for a feed.
As about the time 10 min sounds about right to fill a tiny tummy.
That workshop couldn't stress enough how wrong for several reason Is to let the baby latched on only for comfort.

I think it depends on the school of thought you go with. Some bf advocates say you can't let a baby nurse too often - obviously reflux babies are different. But firstly - early on it helps your supply. But also if they want comfort it's more natural that the comfort comes from mum. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Well Day 6 now, nipples feeling a bit sore and dry on the ends but slapping cream on in between feeds, did a bit of reading yesterday to try and help me in my way in breastfeeding properly. I break up his feed in three parts as he falls asleep on the boob so feed on one boob, burp then put back on the same one, then change nappy and try other breast is that right? Or should I just no bother? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back