a bit of advice please!!

anka76

Reaction score
Hi to all,

I am new to this so thanks to anyone that replies.

We have been trying to get pregnant for 9 months now. The reason am writing this is because my periods have become really irregular. Before we started trying i was always dead on time no lateness or earliness but since we have started trying its difficult for me to calculate. This month i am 5 days late last month i was 3 days early. How am i supposed to work out when i am ovulating with such a strange cycle?

Has this happened to anyone?

I was thinking about using an ovulation kit but not really sure how they work if you have irregular periods.

Every month am gutted when nothing happens, especially when I am late.

Thanks again for any advice.

L

Hello there and welcome to PF.

I dont know if this will help by encouraging you a little but until November last year i always had 28 day cycle without a doubt every month, No earlier and no later.
I was the same as you and found it very hard to track ovulation and i found it even harder because normal opk's didnt work for me, I just couldnt seem to ever get a line on them.
So me and OH splashed out and and bought a cbfm which i only got to use a couple of times, I was over the moon that we had invested in one as i found out that i was ov'ing at totally different times than what i thought i was.

Anyway to cut a long story short my cycles have never got back to its normal 28 days. So we had a more of a laid back approach to ttc this month, through no fault of our own. There was no using of cbfm or anything like that, to be honest we didnt bd as much and hardly ever thought about ttc and then on Saturday i took an opk which was positive so took a hpt and you bet.......I am pregnant :).

So dont give up hope hun and remember just because you have irregular cycles it doesnt mean u wont get your bfp, yeah it is harder at times but im sure you will get there. We had also been ttc for nearly a year and a half so chin up chuck :).

Hope this helps.

Amy xx

Hiya and welcome Anka :)

You definately need to start with OPKs, they are handy for anyone but they are invaluable to someone with irregular cycles...

They can make sure you catch OV and they can even tell you when you will probably get your next period as it tends to happen the same number of days after OV.

The reason your cycle length is fluctuating is because when your ovulation is happening is fluctuating.

If the OPKs don't work as expected they can also point to the probability of your irregular cycles being due to a fertility issue.

Good luck with your ttc efforts :hug:

hi again ,

Thanks for replying so quick...just to be completely thick!!!! what is a cbfm?
Nice to chat with with some people who have gone through the same.
L xx

Cbfm = clearblue fertility monitor......Anything else just give one of us a shout :).

All the ladies are lovely in here so dont be scared to ask any questions you may have.

Good luck xx

Ok now i feel a real wally!!!!!! Thanks to all that replied re: cbfm

Eldra how did you know when to test? i mean that if the test indicates that you are going to ovulate but you really dont know when because of the irregularity thing, should i just work it out on a 28day cycle and test then, so i should test in about 10 days or so?
I am a primary school teacher and I spend all day telling my kids not to ask silly questions, now I feel that this is what I am doing here!!!!

thanks again

L x

Not at all hun..... that is what we are all here for :D.

With a clearblue fertility monitor.. the monitor tells you when it wants a stick off you and you generally take a stick from a certain day in your cycle until you reach your peak = (ovulation). But honestly hun it is easy peasy lol, The monitor does all the work for you :). Like i say i didnt get my BFP the month i was using cbfm but i would highly recommend them to anyone as it takes the stress of having to think about when you are ready to ov.

As for normal opk's i am unsure, What i used to do (before i knew opk's didnt work for me) Was buy loads of cheap opk's off ebay and use one everyday at the same time of day and maybe sometimes twice a day. Your sure to find your surge then hun.

Hope this helps... Anything else just ask :D.

Amy xx

Last edited:
Hey, how are we all today??

I bought the tests and they really are easy to use. So far no smiley face but only used 3 so hopefully........
Thanks again for all the advice.

L xx

hi anka, I'm irregular too and use cheapy ovulation tests. I buy mine off amazon (scared of ebay which most people use after someone spent hundreds of pounds on my account and it took me ages to get it back). The cheap ones are good as I get through a LOT of them. I'm on day 24 at the moment and haven't seen the peak and I've been going since about day 10.

Periods can go irregular and regular - mine were 28-29 days for about 6 months and now they're all over the place (again)

Good luck, and remember to keep doing the deed every second or third day all through your cycle - that'll give you the best chances.

Hey, I have a smiley face!!! Am sooo happy beginning to think if i am this happy what will be like when am actually pregnant haha

thanks to all

x

hey all,

Just wanted to see people opinions on this.

I have been using the ovalution kits since May and I get my smiley faces......we try to do "the dirty deed!!!" a few days before and after...but so far nothing. We hve been trying for 15 mths now and just getting really down.

My friends and bf say dont get stressed it will come, try not to think about...but its hard not to think about something tht you really want.

What should we do? Is it time now to go the docs, am 35 next month.

Am really down about it.

Thanks

Laura

I'd say after 15 months you'd be well placed going to the docs. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member