When did you start weaning?

Lola's Mummy

Reaction score
Don't worry I’m not going to try giving Lola solids yet but was interested in finding out what age you started to wean breastfed babies?

I know the guide lines are after 6 months but I have seen baby food that says from 4 months is this just for formula fed babies? :think:

I started giving my boy baby rice at about a week or so before he was 4 months because i believed it is what he wanted and needed.

I read on here that the world health organization says from 6months to start introducing foods, as it wants breastfed babies in poorer countries to be weaned later, due to dirty water issues, so breast is safer, that's what I was told with regards the 4, 6month debate, don't know how true it is.

I started offering Isaac purees at 4months, but by that I mean a half baby spoonful, a taste, he initially liked apple, and would only eat it offof my finger hehe Nowadays I offer food once or twice a day, he somtimes has a taste a day or the equivalent of a jar a day, depends how he's feeling or if he likes what's offered I suppose.

Hi Lolas mummy,

I don't think its anything to do with whether your baby is breast or formula fed, its to do with your baby's appetite and when they are ready for it. Like whether to breast or bottle feed or have a routine or no routine, its a parent's personal choice.

However, I know there are known health benefits to later weaning. I'm going to copy out the info given to me by my HV at this week's weaning workshop and you can make your own decisions based on this and your own research.

When to wean?

All babies are individuals but recognitions of your baby's oral and digestive development and the close interlink with their physical development will help you to decide when to wean.

Resons to delay your baby's weaning until at least 4 months/17 weeks but preferably longer to 6 months:

• Gut still maturing therefore there is almost no pancreatic acitivy - only 10% of adult ability to digest starch (i.e. baby rice and similar). The gut is also reliant on breast milk lipases (or formula equivalent) to digest fat effectively)

Not capable of feeding self, therefore feeding is mother led (baby given food rather and being ready to participate in feeding).

Can fulfil all fluid and nutrient need via breast or formula milk

Early weaning will NOT make your baby sleep overnight.
At 6 months:-

• Baby has more or less the ability to digest and absorb a range of food nutrients

Baby is beginnning to sit up unsupported

Baby takes objects to mouth accurately

Baby is beginning to bite and chew

Baby is ready to begin to feed self sold foods (baby led feeding)
Advantages to later weaning:-

• Allows a baby's gut to mature before weaning helps lessen the cahnces of developing allergies

Baby is able to efficiently absorb nutrients

There is no need to sterilise clean food utensils

There is no need to puree food (or buy expensive jars) - food can be mashed finely

There is a far wider range of foods that can be used and introduced more quickly

Baby can do much of the feeding for himself

Baby can join in family meals aiding familiarisation of food and social development

Re. the jars and baby rice etc that say 'from 4 months' - as stated above, your baby can be fed them (or your own h/made purees) from 4+ months, but there are benefits (again stated above) to later weaning. If a baby is weaned at 4+ months, they need everything to be very very smooth as they can't deal with lumps - whereas if its later, baby can deal with small lumps (mashed not pureed food).

This is how I understand it all anyway. I've a lot to learn as I've not started to wean DD, but I've been doing lots of reading and learning on it all.

I hope this helps

Valentine Xxx

I started giving Austin solids at about 4 1/2 months. I gave him rice cakes, gluten free rusks & fuit mainly & he coped really well. He's fed himself well from day 1 of weaning and loves his food.

That's some great info Valentine :)

DS I tried at 18 weeks because he was very very hungry, he accepted it a couple of times but the refused it everytime, so we gave up and tried again every couple of weeks with not much success. He was happier with it at around 6 months.

DD I tried at 20 weeks but wasn't happy with my decision so stopped and started again when she was later. She was very good with finger foods so we mainly did baby led weaning. I would have liked to have taken the same route with DS but he's fussier with his food.

All babies are different :)

i first tried millie on fruit puree and baby rice at 17 weeks. but still she's only having a few spoonfuls of solids each day, and sometimes she doesnt hav any.

I started my son on baby rice at about 19 weeks. Just a teaspoon or two at breakfast time. It was about 5.5/6 months when I started him properly on pureed fruit and veg.

I used the Annabelle Karmel book and based the mealtimes on her meal planners. It can be baffling to start with and her book gives you a good guide.

I have to say, none of my friends/family waited until 6 months. You need to judge it on your baby really but it's best not to do it too early they only have small tums.

Dylan was 17 weeks as he was a veryu hungry baby but his appetite increased significantly since he was 6 months

Oh god... I'm a bad mum then...

I weaned Tia at just 12 weeks because she was always screaming hungry. At the time she was breast feeding from both breasts 8 times a day, having 60mls of top up feeds 5 times a day and still seemed to want more.. and tbh I couldn't cope with her constant crying. So I mixed up some baby rice and breast milk, and she just lapped it up... loved it and for the first time ever slept for four hours straight. I have to admit I thought I'd killed her because she didn't wake up after an hour demanding more food... :rotfl:

I remember my HV going crazy at me... but tbh it wasn't a bad decision... I didn't move her on to any other types of food until she was gone four months (8 years ago this 6 month weaning thing didn't exist), just the baby rice and breast milk once a day. Apparently putting baby rice in the milk was common years ago for hungry babies... but I did it because I couldn't keep feeding her every hour, every day, all on my own, it was too draining.

She's very tall and big though so I think she just needed it. After a few weeks of having the baby rice once a day, she dropped all her top up feeds to just one before bed, and went back to being fully breast fed. :)

I think babies let you know when they are ready, but the advice from the health professionals says different. I however always feel you should trust your instincts as a mother. You know your baby far better than some doctor miles away whos never met your baby, and not every child is going to fit into the "standard" mould.

Started Maia at 17 weeks and 3 days!

I've no doubt in my mind it was the right time for her, she loves her food and has 3 big meals a day now.

As for waiting until baby is 6 months, well thats going to be right for some babies, but not all. Baby's gut will gradually get more efficient at absorbing nutrients, they don't just wake up at 6 months old being able to absorb and digest everything.

Besides, the first bit of weaning is more about the 'experience' than the nutritional value.

I think most people know when their babies are ready. If in doubt consult your Health visitor.

For sleeping through the night...

Breastfed babies rarely sleep through until weaned, some do but most don't (based on personal experience not scientific research!).

For Maia it has really helped and she dropped night feeds 3 days after we started weaning her.

I hope my post didn't offend anyone - I obviously haven't weaned my daughter yet and she is not showing any signs of being anywhere close - I was only passing on info given to me by my HV.

We each make our own decisions and each baby is an individual as someone above said.

Valentine Xxx

Hellokitty said:
For sleeping through the night...

Breastfed babies rarely sleep through until weaned, some do but most don't (based on personal experience not scientific research!).

For Maia it has really helped and she dropped night feeds 3 days after we started weaning her.

I think my daughter is the exception to the rule. She is exclusively b/fed and has slept through from 6.5 weeks 12 or 13 hours.

Valentine Xxx

Thanks for all the replies :D

She's not showing any signs of needing to be weaned i was just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back