3rd degree tear first time, next baby?

Melanie3103

Reaction score
I know this is really early to even be thinking about next baby (my lo isnt 3wks yet!)... And wouldnt have even been on my radar if it werent for mw saying my follow up appt at 10-12włs at hospital (following 3rd degree tear and surgery) that theyd talk about subsequent pregnancies/deliveries at that appt. basically she mentioned that theres a chance i wouldnt be able to deliver vaginally next time as they wouldnt want to risk tearing same place as thatd càuse longterm, possibly unrepairable muscle damage and permanent anal incontinence. :-(

With the memory and trauma of first time (long drawn out final stage, managed naturally in water birth with just g&a) which resulted in tear as baby was an unexpected 9lbs and head delivered quick - resulting in tear. I guess the idea of a csection next time i not so bad. The recovery from tear (mentally and physically has been a lot more difficult than i imagined) so a planned surgical cut (csection) without the memory of that final very painful stage, migjt be the way forward. I desperately wanted a natural birth avoiding epidural which i got, til the surgery to fix tear (epidural style spinal block!)...

2nd babies are often bigger too - so... Maybe...

Anyone else share experience of 2nd baby deliveries after a 3rd degree tear first time...
Thanks x

I had a third degree tear with my first baby. He too was an unexpected 9lb3. Had scan the day before and they said he would be 7lb at the most. Ended up with forcepts, episiotomy and third degree tear. Followed by 6 months of physio.

Consultant at my follow up appointment said I was not to deliver naturally following that.

With my second baby I had extra scans throughout. At 36 weeks they estimated her birth weight to exceed 10lbs so I was booked for a section at 38 weeks. I was really scared coming up to it, but to be honest it was like going to a spa day compared to my first delivery. She was 8lb3 2 weeks early, so think she would have got close to 10 lbs.

I had my 3rd baby by section 8 weeks a go. Section was booked when I was 16 weeks pregnant. She was born 6 days early at 8lb12.5. Again, a walk in the park compared to my first baby.

The surgeon later advised me not to have any more babies though, as the scar tissue from the third degree tear and later section had caused my uterus to adhere to my bladder so the chance of a rupture is quite high.

I had 3rd degree tear a year ago and was told in theatre and at follow up consultant app that I would need to have a c section next time. I already had a c section with my first and had wanted to try natural with my son and ended up with the third degree tear!!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back