Tear but no stitches?

lisa282

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a tear during birth but not been stitched? I had quite an extensive 2nd degree tear with my first baby and loads of stitches - needless to say it was sore for a while and took a couple of weeks to settle down. So this time with my second baby I also had a 2nd degree tear, but only very small - about 1cm - and my midwife said it shouldnt need stitching as it sat together really well and should heal on its own. I trusted her with this and told them not to stitch me if it wasnt necessary. I didnt want the uncomfortable recovery again if it was avoidable.

In some ways Im glad I wasnt stitched. I have had no soreness down there whatsoever and it has been comfortable to sit right from birth, which I never had last time, I used to wince everytime I sat down or changed position! Anyway it has now been 6 weeks since giving birth, and although Im not sore at all, it appears that my tear isnt healing as I would expect it to. It still seems pretty open to me, and tbh Im getting concerned that I may have to go and have it corrected. Has anyone else had this, and how did it turn out? How long did you take to heal without stitches?

I have my 6-week postnatal check next week - actually will be 7 weeks, lol - so intend to get doc to check it out for me, but just wondering if anyone has been in the same boat and what the outcome was. Any advice or relevant scenarios would be appreciated! :hug:

I had first degree tears with no stitches with both my labours and each time they didn't heal together completely. It looks different but its not a huge problem. I don't know how it differs with second degree tears.
I hope you're healed soon :hug:

hiya i had a little tear after my second but was told by my midwife it would heal by itself.i found myself in your situation as it did not heal and i mentioned it at my 6 week check.i was refered to the gynae dept at the hospital were they said they could offer me an operation.it was only a tiny tear and so i was unsure (i cancelled once as i was sooo scared!).But i decided i wanted to look like myself again,so went ahead.I was admitted and put to sleep and the operation was brilliant,i had no pain from start to finnish and was very pleased i had the courage to go through with it.The question is, is can you live with it?! Hope this helps.

sorry to crash, i just am curious about something. if youve torn and not been stitched, is it mega painful to go for a wee or no 2?? x

I had the same as you exactly and was fine... didn't notice anything untoward down there lol x

sorry to crash, i just am curious about something. if youve torn and not been stitched, is it mega painful to go for a wee or no 2?? x

I didn't find it sore but didn't poo for about a week and a half... either I was too scared or my muscles down there just weren't working!!

Same, second degree tear with my first, tonnes of stitches, small tear this time - no stitches. Im too scared to look to be honest, I'm not good with things like that... can't even watch holby city!
I can't rmeember who asked, but this time (small tear no stitches) was easier than when I had the stiches... it stung for a fe days, but fine after that.... however going for a poo (sorry) was way more painful this time. For the first two weeks, whenever I went, it was AGONY, literally one night I was in the bathroom for an hour crying my eyes out coz it hurt so much... lovely.
So I havent looked, but hoping all is fine as it doesn't hurt... but Im not checking!
x

I had a small first degree tear but no stitches. I found passing water a little stingy for the first day or 2 but no pain whatsoever from doing a number 2 a couple of days later. I had no discomfort down there after a week and no bleeding after 2 weeks. I've checked in the mirror and it doesn't look or feel any different to how it was before. Having said that, she only had a little head (30cm) so I was lucky in that respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back