***2016 babies***

My friend says the exact same thing so that's reassuring. Her wee boy is bright as a button at most things but just wasn't getting potty training. He turned 3 in Jan and a few weeks ago she decided that now was the time and has had absolutely no bother at all! Gives me hope and an action plan for the future . :)

Cloth nappies? That's so brave! Think I'm on 10-15 nappies (maybe more?) a day so feel I couldn't possibly cope with cloth.

Anyone else's baby suddenly feel a lot heavier? Today my baby feels chunkier and a lot heavier (like significantly), don't know how he is doing it with all of these dirty nappies. Having said that he had a day of really heavy feeding so maybe a growth spurt. Interested to hear his weight tomorrow as I assume the HV will weigh him.

Got so much done today wearing him in a wrap, I love it. Anyone else using one?

Last edited:
I was dreading potty training but one day lo decided she didn't want knickers and just refused to wear them so I went with (whilst 8 months pregnant!) but she was fab and I just followed her lead. They are all ready at different times.

I have a sling for lily and I have an ergo from my first which I'll use when she is bigger. I hired a sling last time for newborn stage and it was vital cause she would only nap on me! This time lily naps in Moses basket well for now but been using sling for walks with dog and in tesco the other day to do shopping, I love them cause you can have a lovely cuddle! Also going to use it when older ones toddler groups start next week so I have both hands free to play with her xx

We have a couple of slings but hubby uses them not me :( Slings have been great for us too though! I'm unfortunately currently suspecting a prolapse after DD2's birth so avoiding carrying her for long periods of time. GP next week to check my suspicions...

Bad news here - DD2 is continuing to lose weight on day 14!! :( We are hit from several angles - she has a tongue tie (now sorted by the MW as of yesterday when we realised she wasn't gaining and it needed dealing with) and also diarrhoea (she's got thrush on her tongue and the medicine she was given gave her the runs but failed to cure the thrush). I cried lots yesterday :( It's so frustrating when she feeds so much but it's wasted. Now I need to express to up my supply and feed even more after getting her tongue sorted. Going to try some natural remedies for thrush too. I hope it works... We had such a nightmare with DD1's weight, I just wasn't expecting to have another non gaining child :(

Last edited:
Awh really sorry to hear that Atlantis, but it sounds positive that you got to the root of it though now. Wishing your baby some speedy weight gain :).

My HV is coming at 10 which makes me nervous, not sure I'm experienced enough to get us both washed and ready and house clean for that time yet. I'd usually catch a last block of sleep too until maybe around 8 but the way his feed has fallen, I think that's me up now. So sleepy from a difficult feed during the night. I'm also nervous for the first HV visit, hope I'm not doing anything wrong.

Last edited:
Oh no Atlantis,my first had a big weight loss and it is so upsetting but I'm sure now you have the problem solved she will get on that boob and put on weight speedy! At least they haven't done the 'just put her on formula' line!

I'm sure you will be fine Mel, remember they shouldn't be there to criticise but to help. And if they do say something you don't like don't be afraid to fight your corner! Let us know how you get on!

We are off on a gingerbread trail in our local town with two cousins and my sister ... In the rain! :) xxx

Mel, I am sure you will be fine. In many ways they expect to see a messy house with a newborn. The main thing they want to see is that you care for the BABY as opposed to see a squaky clean house instead!!

I've just seen midwife, wound healing better although still bleeding from somewhere, got to stay on antibiotics and see her again next week for discharge appointment. Feeding is hard work, still offering breast feeds every time but still needing formula which just prolongs everything. In some ways although I enjoy feeding him, I wish my body would make the decision for me and end my milk supply. I've tried exclusively feeding myself but we both don't cope well, just fills me with guilt all the time.

HV was really lovely :) Wow I was right in thinking he had ballooned. From 7.14 down to 7.7 then up to 8.12 and we are only on day 13. With about 8-10 dirty nappies a day it seems quite good. Happy he has a nice healthy weight gain but sad he is growing so quickly!

A ginger bread trail? That sounds fun, I've been stuck in for a few days, there's a colossal hill between me and anywhere and I don't quite feel like that just yet purely out of laziness.

Hello :) I hope it's not too late for me to join and introduce myself!

I had a little girl, Willow, on January 26th 2016. She's our first and was born by emergency c-section after an easy 19 hour labour. She was only born via c-section because I was fully dilated and the little madame hadn't budged, making it impossible for me to try and push her out myself!

She's 10 weeks old and doing wonderfully. Very vocal, lots of smiles, gurgles, baby talk and almost-giggles. She's also grasping toys and shaking rattles, sleeping wonderfully through the night and only seems to cry when she has trouble passing wind or has a wet nappy! A much happier tale after our first two weeks which were, with no better word for it, hell.

I'm still recovering from my c-section after 3 infections plus giving myself a small tear from doing too much. Would quite like my body back now please!

Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

Hi SAHF, hopefully that's you on your road to recovery now! Sounds like a bad time of it :(

We are back at the docs with Ruby again! She's only 4 weeks and already had bronchialitis and thrush in her mouth and bum. Now she woke up in the night with a barking cough and rattly chest! Feeding isn't going well at all either. No matter what I do she is gulping in wind during feeds. I've tried all different positions, TT bottles, Dr Browns bottles and Infacol. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end, especially during the night!

Welcome SAHF, wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

Jen, I don't have any advice sorry, I fear some babies are like that - gulpers... I hope someone comes along with a magic tip for you. T does seem to gulp in air on one side only and I think it's the angle so I'm constantly readjusting her so that she's more in a straight line to my boob. Sorry Ruby is in the wars :(

I broke down at a GP surgery today as I think T isn't right, this diarrhoea isn't nice - she is sometimes pooping every 30 mins! That's not normal is it?? For a 2 week old newborn who also happens to not be gaining weight...? Still haven't got tongue thrush fully sorted, GP won't prescribe the stronger gel (and didn't tell me... That's why I broke down at the surgery where I went to pick up the prescription requested yesterday. They were just going to leave a 2 week old baby with no advice how to help her thrush). Now sitting home, expressing (ugh!), waiting for another GP to call me back - at least my tears got their attention :(

hey Atlantis, I'm not sure weight loss wise but my baby is doing dirty nappies constantly, like all the time. I think I said this before but 2 per feed is very normal for him & MW and HV didnt show concern.

what did the gp say?

Thanks Mel, that's reassuring. I don't want to sound paranoid ;) just DD1 wasn't like that at all. But then she was eating much less!

GP approved of my alternative treatment for tongue thrush (bicarbonate of soda) but said get checked by the MW (hopefully tonight) for green poo etc, and come back tomorrow if needed. He would not prescribe the stronger meds for tongue thrush. Which I'm happy with as long as bicarbonate works... I'd rather not give a newbie medicines unless critically urgent to be honest

We are combination feeding and have had issues with wind/gulping from day one. We use Infacol, MAM bottles (although we tried the new Tommee Tippee Ultra bottle and it really is fab, just need to get a 2 teat for it now though!) and we tried Gripe water but that did nothing for us. We have found the older she gets, the easier it is and the less air she takes in. She is much, much better now on number 2 teats, that made a huge difference for us.

Lots of tummy massages, cycling the legs and winding every couple of oz's worked best for us. Also keeping her upright after feeds for at least 2 minutes, to help with any wind she may have!

Right I have a question for those breast feeding. Are you all doing it on demand or trying to get into some kind of schedule? With my daughter I was feeding every 3 hours and that seemed to be quite regular even before I switched to expressing. But with this little man I just seem to be feeding constantly - apart from at night where he will go for a 4 hour stretch then a 3 hour - rest of time it's no longer than every 2 hours and obviously one of those hours could be taken up with the last feed so you're only getting an hour break x

Hey Rose, a schedule didn't work for me, I tried timing every 3 hours because I forgot about looking for cues, but by the time I got to him even if i was the one waking him from a sleep, he tended to be annoyed or frustrated. Now I look for the cues he feeds much more often I think, but he is happier and there is less of a battle.. At the minute I seem to be stuck on constant short feeds but maybe I'm not trying hard enough to get him to feed for longer?

It's hard to know what to do for the best!

I'm feeding on demand and did with my first too. With my dd1 she fed every 2 hours like you are saying for a bit then she got herself into a routine, think about 2-3 months. It is hard but best way to keep supply up and you can't over feed a breastfed baby cause your body produces what your baby needs. Dd2 I haven't been writing down and keeping track of feeds, I don't look at clock I just feed her when she wants it. Sometimes it's only been half an hour, but other times it's been 4 hours! And well done of the night time feeds, that's sounds good! My dd2 is doing a good 3-5 hour stretch first off but then up every hour stil. :( xx

Thanks ladies, good to hear you are all similar. Guess I'll just carry on, some days it feels like he is going for longer stretches then other times it feels like he is hanging off me constantly. He is also pretty sicky - this morning he had just fed for 5 minutes when he did a poo so as I'm changing him he silently brought up everything he had drunk! X

Demand feeding here too Rose. Dd2 is hanging off me all day long - yesterday I hardly got a break. But we are trying to increase my supply as she's not gaining weight so I don't mind.

I was also instructed to express every 2 hours by the MW so it's very hard going!!! And told to feed nights every 2 hours too. I was so tired last night I alwpt through the last (5am) alarm!

I hope she starts gaining very soon as I am getting sore now :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back