Babies at the cinema...

amelia

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't really posted much before, but thought I'd share this with all parents of babies...
I work for Odeon cinemas and something which isn't advertised very well is the Newbies screenings. These are usually held once a week on a weekday morning during term time, specifically for parents with babies. They are of new release films (12a/PG/U) and have lower volume levels, and the lights are kept on a low setting (instead of off). Babies go for free and are more than welcome! Handy for a lot of mums on mat leave to get out of the house and meet other mums as well. Also means you get to see new films without having to find babysitters, or worrying about baby disturbing other people in the cinema. They are at most Odeon cinemas. There's a list on http://www.odeon.co.uk.
Just thought I'd share, because I think it's a great idea!

The picturehouse cinema here does this too. It's at normal cinema volume but that didn't seem to bother the babies at all and meant if any cried you could still hear the film :D It's on on the bigger screen so you can pace at the front without blocking the view and there's lots of space for pushchairs.
I took DD to see Mamma Mia and she slept the whole time :lol:

Hiya :)

Yeah knew about this already. Alas my local Odeon isn't one of the ones to do this for parents. Kind of a pain as its the nearest at 45 minutes drive away.

Another cinema not so near us does though.

Would be nice if they all did it as standard at least one film a week.

We have taken James to the cinema a couple of times. He loved it! I thought there would be a soundtrack of crying babies to accompany the film but surprisingly there was very little crying from all the babies. James "watched" most of the film and had a 20min power nap in the middle. I'd highly recommend it!

Our Odeon don't do the baby club either, but the FACT centre near us does - I'm just waiting for a decent film to come on so I can go!

Our local university has an Arts centre and 2 cinema screens. They do this once a week. They have buggy spaces, lights up, lower volume and also crash mats out at the front for babies to roll around on. It's also waaaay cheaper (about £3.50 ish) than our other local cinema. Haven't been yet but I want to!

hi i looked on the odeon site but i can't find where the details are of what film is showing and when etc. can anyone help?

wow didnt know this!! thanks! :D will definaitly be taking ryan, and my sister has a 6 week old baby so will be perfect for us

thank you lis32, i will wait for a film i want to see then try it with little one......only thing is though it is still full price so if you are next to/ or your baby wants a screaming fit it will ruin the film and it may be better for oh to have little one and to go on my own...

i would def go if it was cheaper :? :?

Thanks for the tip - unforunately I dont live near an Odeon but have just googled our 'city screen' and they have a 'Big scream club' every Wednesday at 11am for parents and babies upto the age of 1 year. I'm definitely going to try it!

At our local cinema you will also get a free cake and drink - and they even take the order and bring the goodies to your sofa - yey!!!!

LO loves it (the cinema, not the cake :rotfl: ). We are going again this week. I have to say that I did prefer watching a French film as with the subtitles it didn't matter even though bubs were crying :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back