2 x miscarriages, now 6 weeks pregnant & hoping 3rd time lucky!!

JaiandLeigh

Reaction score
Hey ladies...

This is my 3rd pregnancy & all being well my first baby!! I'm excited & scared, hopeful one minute then pessimistic the next and think a scan will be very reassuring..

My question is.. I have my first scan on the NHS on Monday at 6+3 because of previous mc's.. Do you know if that will be it until 12weeks? Or do you think for reassurance they will scan me again once before then? Any ideas? Xx

Last edited:
I dont know for sure, but I imagine they will scan you at 6 weeks due to previous MC, then there wont be another one until 12 weeks unless there is some reason such as bleeding, some people do get additional scans because they are so worried it is effecting their mental health, other people choose to go private between 8 - 10 weeks for more reassurance. fingers crossed for you! its hard not to feel pessimistic, I understand, but try to enjoy and let the excitement in if you can!! xx
p.s they wouldnt give me a 6 week scan due to previous MC, so I had the long old wait until 12 weeks, but it was so nice to finally get there!

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I may struggle to wait between 6-12weeks with no scan but also need to remind myself the early scan I already have arranged is a privilege & I am really grateful for it.

Hopefully If I have no bleeding / bad cramps between now & 12 weeks That will be enough to keep me calm & excited! Was secretly hoping for another scan around 9 weeks - my friend had one then but she had had 3 x mc's not 2 which may have been why xx

You never know, they might offer you one! I think different areas have different ways of doing things xx

Hi sorry for both your losses! I've had 2 miscarriages myself and have a 4 month old baby after having them both. With me EPU scanned me at 6 weeks check for a heartbeat then said come back in 2-3 weeks check everything was progressing as it should be at my next scan there was a bleed around the sac they wanted keep an eye on so was given another scan then my dating scan. I know what a worry it can be after having miscarriages and they definitely reassured me xx

Hi sorry for both your losses! I've had 2 miscarriages myself and have a 4 month old baby after having them both. With me EPU scanned me at 6 weeks check for a heartbeat then said come back in 2-3 weeks check everything was progressing as it should be at my next scan there was a bleed around the sac they wanted keep an eye on so was given another scan then my dating scan. I know what a worry it can be after having miscarriages and they definitely reassured me xx

That has completely put my mind at rest thank you :) I so hope that is the case for me too, if they don't offer I will definitely ask... That must have been so worrying for you at the time of your second scan - I know as soon as I hear or see the word 'blood' this pregnancy I'm going to freak out FX that doesn't happen... Thanks again xx

Hey,
I'm in the same boat with 2 previous mc, pregnant with first baby (hopefully).
Did you ask for reassurance scan?
I was planning on paying for one to put my mind at ease because 12 weeks is a long wait when you found out you were pregnant at 3 weeks 3 days!!! Lol!
I suppose nothing can 100% reassure us but I have read the stats for heartbeat and successful pregnancies and each time your scanned and there's heartbeat the risk of mc is significantly reduced even at 7 weeks.
I didn't think nhs would scan till 7 weeks as heartbeat may not be clear before then so really your still in limbo?
Maybe get what you can and pay for another 2 scans if you can. That's what I was gonna do, didn't think EPU scanned unless you had pain and/or bleeding.
Let's keep our fingers crossed that all is well. Xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hey,
I was planning on paying for one to put my mind at ease because 12 weeks is a long wait when you found out you were pregnant at 3 weeks 3 days!!! Lol!
I suppose nothing can 100% reassure us but I have read the stats for heartbeat and successful pregnancies and each time your scanned and there's heartbeat the risk of mc is significantly reduced even at 7 weeks.
I didn't think nhs would scan till 7 weeks as heartbeat may not be clear before then so really your still in limbo?
Maybe get what you can and pay for another 2 scans if you can. That's what I was gonna do, didn't think EPU scanned unless you had pain and/or bleeding.

Hey, I found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks 3 days too haha :) after my last miscarriage the doctor in EPU said next time you get pregnant ring us and book in for an early scan around 7weeks (don't know why mine ended up being closer to 6). So I just rang EPU and said due to recurrent mc's previously the doctor said to ring EPU & book in for an early scan next time I'm pregnant & I'm now X weeks (I would wait until you are around 5/6weeks before calling)... You should ring them hun & say the above & see what they say. I got to see tiny for of a baby and see / hear a heartbeat and it was amazing.

I'm now 13 weeks!!! Had my 12 week scan & baby is doing great. FX it will be the same story for you :) xxx

Hey,

Hey, I found out I was pregnant at 3 weeks 3 days too haha :) after my last miscarriage the doctor in EPU said next time you get pregnant ring us and book in for an early scan around 7weeks (don't know why mine ended up being closer to 6). So I just rang EPU and said due to recurrent mc's previously the doctor said to ring EPU & book in for an early scan next time I'm pregnant & I'm now X weeks (I would wait until you are around 5/6weeks before calling)... You should ring them hun & say the above & see what they say. I got to see tiny for of a baby and see / hear a heartbeat and it was amazing.

I'm now 13 weeks!!! Had my 12 week scan & baby is doing great. FX it will be the same story for you :) xxx

Awwww that's wonderful news! I'm so pleased!!! :hug:
:)

I can't refer myself to my epu- it has to be stupid gp!
I could where I lived before- I didn't even see my go when I had MMC, went to EPU then had d and c.
It's annoying how I have to traipse to gp, then wait for appointment at EPU and go there! It's just ridiculous! I think I'll pay for private scan at 8 weeks but I'm scared to book it just yet!
This is gonna be a hell of a long pregnancy!!!
Xxxx

Hi ladies,

I know the OP has now had that all important dating scan but Selina I thought I might share my experience.

I had 3 losses before I got pregnant with my son.

I was told by consultant (we had recurrent miscarriage testing) to come a walk-in to EPU when I next got pregnant. I called said EPU when I was about 7 weeks to make sure I wouldn't be turned away but they were happy to see me. I'd had recurrent miscarriage testing at the same clinic that runs the EPU and had suffered 3 losses so I "qualified"

They scanned me and told me if I had any issues to come back but made it clear that I wouldn't be offered another reassurance scan... it was fine by me as with my losses I'd never seen a HB / got past 6 weeks without spotting.

We did have a private scan around 10 weeks but I'd booked the private scan before I knew the EPU would see me so I just rescheduled the private scan.

I had my son, then another miscarriage and am now preggers again.

This time round due to various reasons I decided to opt straight for a private scan (EPU is a walk-in and I could be there for half a day and I don't want work to know, also I needed it to fit in with collecting James etc.. so we just went private)

Sorry this is very long winded but basically every EPU is different. Some may see you regularly, some may see you once, some may even refuse to se you (I was only allowed a reassurance scan as I'd had THREE losses)

There is no harm in asking? See how busy they are / what they suggest.

I am a massive believer in not wasting NHS resources so unless I need to use the EPU (God willing that I wont) then I 'll wait until the dating scan now.

X

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back