16 week checkup-what a waste of time!!

pringle88

Reaction score
My midwife is rubbish!!!!!

I had my 16 week appointment this morning, I told her how i had been feeling (ive had funny episodes of fainting, feeling dizzy, not being able to hold myself up, losing the feeling in my hands - not being able to bend my fingers, going grey all over, horrendous headaches) and she wrote on my notes "all seams well"!!!!!

she didnt weigh me, she didnt measure my bump, she didnt offer for me to listen to the heartbeat. she then said "well if eveythings ok ill see you again in 9 weeks"...2nd aug is my next appointment!!!!!

seeing as she didnt tell my about my blood results (that i had taken at 8 weeks!!) i mentioned that i hadnt heard anything... she then started routing through the wrong gps folder saying she hasnt filed them yet! then said she hasnt had any back apart from my blood group which is rhesus positive, she said youve got protein in your urine so we will monitor that but other than that nothing was said and im just supposed to wait another 9 weeks worrying about what my results are going to come back as!

she said if youve not heard back assume everythings okay but i want to know either way!!

sorry for the rant, ive just seen so many good comments about ppls 16 wk appointment and i felt my 15 min appointment was a complete waste of time!!!

x

That's awful!
I must admit I thought mine was a waste of time at 16 wks I was looking forward to listing to my bubbas heartbeat which she said she doesn't do until after my anomaly scan, no weight or bump measure however I was still as skinny as a rake then so had no bump lol I can't believe I almost dragged along the OH for that glad I didn't!
But a 9 wk wait is terrible I had another at 21 wks which this time I listened to his heartbeat and my next is at 25 wks. Have u had an ante natal check up with a consultant?

Nope, nothing. Since finding out i was pregnant i saw my GP to let him know and then my midwife twice. Rubbish!!

I dont know why i was expecting more! Hopefully my 25 week appointment will be a lot more informative!

Mine was the same, a big disapointment.
Was looking forward to hearing the heartbeat so much as well.
Hope the next appointment is better for us.

Blimey that sounds awful!! Not really looking forward to my 16 wk on friday now!
If you have all those problems she should have noted it and done something about it!! If i were you i would go to your gp about your problems and see if they will help you or give you some reassuring advice! Make sure you mention your concerns about your midwife and maybe request a different one.. its not about being picky, this woman is supposed to be caring for you and your precious child! If she isnt the very best in your eyes then she is not good enough!
Ive only seen a midwife once (i think!) my gp a few times (theyve been great) and ive had 3 scans and some blood tests..
Nothing feels like its 'personal' yno? with my other two children i saw the same midwife regularly at my gp and home visits! Not some random woman in the hospital taking notes..
Its seems to have all gone downhill in the last 4 years :(
Im going to change hospital after my 16w check so hopefully it will improve for me!

Its awful how they really dont care now! :( sorry to hear youve all had a bad time..xx

oh dear :( that didn't sound like a very good appointment!

the only thing I can say that many mws do not measure tummy at 16 weeks, including mine. I guess it's not as important at this stage. I wouldn't worry about that.

As to your blood test results, I would call your surgery and ask them. I did that at 10 weeks pg or so, as I didn't want to wait for my appointment with a mw, and they told me all the results. Furthermore, I popped in one day and asked for a printed copy of all my results, which I now have. I believe they must give you a copy by law - you can always tell them that you are going travelling soon, and want to have all your papers just in case you might need to see a doctor in another country.

xx

Thats terrible! is there anyway you can change to a more organised midwife? I wasn't weighed but I was pleased about that! I did get to listen to the heartbeat though xx

That doesn't sound helpful at all :roll:.
I got to know my bloods and listen to the heartbeat (no belly measuring though). I'd go ahead and call to find out about your results and go to see the GP about the way you've been feeling. Definitely don't leave it, just because you're pregnant doen't mean you should put up with symptoms like that.

Was pretty much the same for me, she told me my blood results and that was it, did nothing else and I was really hoping to maybe hear the baby's heartbeat, I haven't had anyone feel my tummy since I got pregnant and my next appointment with them is in August too :( apart from my 20 weeks scan which is not until the 21st of June :shakehead:

I didn't even get a 16 week appointment! I've got to wait til 24 weeks! Last appointment was at 12 weeks, can only assume my bloods are ok too! The care seems to change so much from area to area, thought she might have listened to baby and been more concerned about you feeling unwell though.

Aww :( That is rubbish!

I never got my tummer measured, or weight taken at mine. I did have to have more bloods done though, but that was cause i was having the CUBS screening and baby kept moving so couldn't geta nuchal fold measurement.

I did get to hear the heartbeat (cause my midwife is a lovely girl a few years older than me - 23) and she indly said she would try - she then wrote on my notes "fetal heartbeat at maternal request".

That was all really, she jst said bloods came back fine and nothing to worry about. See you at 22 weeks! SO if i hadn't needed to get the bloods done or requested the heartbeat then it would really only have lasted about 5 minutes!

I do think a 9 week wait is a bit much though! Maybe give your midwife a call and ask if thats right? xx

I was so excited for my 16 week appoint.......and It was a totaly waste of time....I sat down she asked how I was feeling I said fine......she gave me an appoint for 25 weeks......was in there not even 5 mins!!!!

S
xx

thanks girls looks like its just the way things are done then i guess. Im only 22 and im going on what info my mums giving me and she was seen by a midwife/gp/consultant every week by the sounds of it, maybe im worrying because things are so different but sounds as though this is just the norm now!

im going to assume no news is good news and just get on with it.

one thing she did tell me to do is book a full heart check with my gp...not sure why!!

thanks for all of the replies, i feel much more reassured that i havent been treated unfairly!

hope our 25 week appointments are much better for us all :) xx

I'm sorry your appointment was disappointing hun. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I had my 16 week appointment today as well and mine was rubbish too. Told her I was still being sick 5-6 times a day, she just told me to eat plently of toast :eh: . Told her I was feeling dizzy a lot and that my arms kept going numb in my sleep, she said it was probably just because my blood pressure was a bit low. Told her I'd still not had any results from my 12 week scan and bloods, she didn't even offer to chase them up. Just said she doesn't get a copy of them that 'no news is good news' and I'm to ring the hospital if I really need them. She did a quick pee test and blood pressure and that was it. Oh and she told me off for wearing heels. I've not even got a bump, just carrying some extra lard (and wind:blush:). When my heels start hurting my back or whatever I'll switch to lower ones or flats, I'm not an idiot. I'm a 33 year old woman with an IQ of 154 I'm perfectly capable of chosing something comfortable.

She only does appointments on a Wednesday afternoon and the last one is at 3.30pm meaning I have to leave work at 2pm to get to the appointment. So basically I've had to take the entire afternoon off when I'm really busy at work just for her to patronise me, not answer any of my questions or concerns and take my blood pressure and test my wee. Don't need to be a midwife to do that!

Glad my next appointment with her isn't until August. I've been so disappointed with the level of care so far. I feel like I'm just a number (at best) and a great big inconvenience (at worst). Hopefully they'll step up when we're in labour.

thanks girls looks like its just the way things are done then i guess. Im only 22 and im going on what info my mums giving me and she was seen by a midwife/gp/consultant every week by the sounds of it, maybe im worrying because things are so different but sounds as though this is just the norm now!

im going to assume no news is good news and just get on with it.

one thing she did tell me to do is book a full heart check with my gp...not sure why!!

thanks for all of the replies, i feel much more reassured that i havent been treated unfairly!

hope our 25 week appointments are much better for us all :) xx

I'd go to your gp to chase results and also get your symptoms checked out :) x

we had the downs/spina bifida test done & got to hear babys heartbeat at ours . it was like a wee steam train <3 x

Sorry to hear that hon - I agree with the other girls though - if you're worried about the fainting/dizziness go see your doc - could be that your blood pressure is low (did she take your blood pressure at the appointment?) Also not sure what your notes are like but in the front of mine it has a list saying "Antenatal Schedule for the healthy pregnant woman" it then lists all the appointments and scans you will recieve at at how many weeks pregnant. I think you get slightly less appointments if you've already had a baby before. I had my 16 week appointment then my next one is when I'm 22wks that's when you get given your mat b1 form I think. Then at 28 weeks there's another appoint where more blood tests are taken x x

i asked my midwife to listen to the heartbeat and recorded it on my phone lol (only to find out it had not recorded properly) i even asked the training midwife to pass me it out of my bag ha. I new i was being a pain but fuck them! she wasnt going to let me listen to my baby! She even put the wrong date of birth on one of my blood tests so i had to have another one! and she did not weigh me! BITCHES all i can say.

Last edited:
sometimes I wonder what the point of having a midwife is!!! I have seen a different one each appointment and they dont tell you anything, the few questions I have asked were met with a dont be so silly kind of response!! I'm lucky that I have to have joint care so I am also under the consultants at the hospital (as I had a deep vein thrombosis and a pulmonary embolism 6 years ago) and my 2 appointments so far with them were way more informative!

I havent even been given any info on antenatal classes so assuming they will all be booked up by the time I have my 24 week apt I have had to pay for the NCT ones. Mind you I did get to hear the heartbeat at my last apt at 16 weeks so I cant really complain too much, I would have proper kicked off if she hadnt done it as I had dragged my OH along and everything!!!!

Hi,

I had my 16 week appointment two days ago, I had all the same symptoms as you and was sent straight to a&e with a suspected clot in the lung. I do have a higher chance to clot due to my lungs. I was emitted and have just been let out this morning. I've got the all clear, thank goodness. A lot of people disregard symptoms during pregnancy because they're all expected but if you're worried I'd check it out with your doctor too. I had protien in my urine too but an infection was ruled out. I hope all is well sweets.

Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back