11month old new car seat - which to get?

kitten2014

Reaction score
Hi guys, we've had the graco tour deluxe travel system since birth and its been doing her fine but she is now outgrowing the car seat as it is 0+. Have been looking around and quite like the maxi cosi swivel (also known as axiss) anyone buy this one? Key features for me (aside from usual safety aspects) are wipeable, changeable/washable covers (those snack times get v messy sometimes!) and the swivel feature sounds like a backache dream! Seen a few on ebay second hand but not sure...

Also, she now weighs 11kg, does this mean she can be forward facing? Thought the law was coming in for rear facing til 17months or something?

Thanks guys, luking at sorting this with her birthday money so we have a month to look around (unless we find an ace deal of course!)

Hi kitten, were also looking at getting the next size car seat for our 10 month old.

We also looked at the axiss as we would like Lo to be rear facing for a while longer, unfortunately it hasn't be tested in our model of seat Ibiza, we've requested a test and we are waiting for a response but I know his can take a couple of weeks.

Currently, legally they can be forward facing from 9kg and if the test comes back and says the axiss is not suitable I think we'll have to forward face Lo even though I'd rather she was rear facing.

We also looked at a cybex model that had been tested in our model Ibiza but I can't remember the name.

Car seats are an absolute minefield. I've been shopping twice so far and each time left no further forward. I'm hoping they test the axiss for us and its deemed safe as I really don't want to shop again

We have this one after me hating the ianchor. I am so in love and wish I had just bought it first. The swivel feature is amazing for my bad back and a struggling toddler who wants to walk everywhere now it honestly is a godsend. I also like you can clip the straps out the way. It wipes easily too as our boy likes to snack in the car. I can't fault it and I'm really fussy. It's car seat 4 for me and will be my last till he is to big now xxx

Thanks both, this really helps, now to try and find someone not too far away selling one second hand...the mission begins...

Thanks both, this really helps, now to try and find someone not too far away selling one second hand...the mission begins...

That's the one we are planning on getting too. Anything to make it easier to get my son in and out of the car especially when there are so many inconsiderate people who use parent and child spaces without having wee ones.

Cx

The only downside is it is forward facing not rear facing. I realise this is probably v controversial but wouldn't it be better to stick to rear facing for longer?

Hi cdx cant believe she is outgrowing her car seat already, she has grown soo fast!

Oh the one I looked at must be slightly different, it was an axiss but it could be rear facing :/

Having recently had a very scary and life-threatening choking episode with my little one, I would strongly advise not to give snacks in the car. We were in the house when it happened and the quick action of my husband and the paramedics saved his life x

I would avoid second hand seats unless you're getting it from a well known family member or friend. The seat might look sound but you cannot be 100% sure what it's been though in terms of bumps, scrapes, crashes, etc. Better to buy new and be 100% sure it's safe and fit for purpose. A really good seat to use the Joie Stages, can be rear or forward facing up to 4 years old.

Last edited:
New car seat laws come in either next year or 2018? I can't remember which. My daughter has got a forward facing one as this she is my final child and dcouldn't afford the luxury of a fancy swivel seat - if I was planning more children I definitely would invest in a swivel seat in preparation for the new law changes. Bad mummy but not breaking the law or bank so that's something...

That doesn't really answer your question. Car seats are complicated. I'd suggest going into a shop and asking about them and looking at them so you can get a good idea of what you like and what you can get on budget. Good luck :)

Last edited:
There's are 2 axxiss seats ones rear facing and forward and ones just forward facing.

lilmisshopeful was just goin to say that, think i prefer the axissfix for the very reason of having rear facing for longer...

We have the Axkid Minikid which rear-faces until age 6. The safety of an ERF seat was our top priority and I really recommend it. It was expensive and I appreciate not everyone can stretch to £300 for a seat, so I would also recommend the Joie Stages as a more budget rear-facing option.

We've just bought the nuna rebl and it's fab, the swivel thing is so handy, I want him to stay rear facing for as long as poss which this one allows and he feels very secure in it. Not cheap but it will last him till he's 4 so a good investment I think.

hi showingpromise, saw that one, mothercare have just got it in but no one has it secondhand so couldnt really stretch that far....its v similar but easier swivel and no seatbelt above heads...

Hi, been looking into car seats alot recently. Haven't solved the problem yet as it seems to get more complicated the more you find out. I want rear facing for aslong as possible too. Wanted the swivel feature too so looked at nuna rebl and britax dualfix but have been told LO will outgrow it b4 4 (going by red book) so would need another one. Also read reviews and have heard from some people that they rattle in the car whicb is really putting me off as I have to drive quite a bit. Anyone have experience?

Also considering joie stages for other car. Not as easy to get LO in and out and its seat belted but plenty of room in it for growth.

I liked the nuna and LO seemed comfortable in it with wedge under him (11mth old) but there was alot of movement with it though we were told its not a problem im not sure id b happy. I've read others saying its rock solid in their cars so mayb not a gd fit for ours.

I liked the fit of dualfix (and its on offer at mo) but hasn't been tested in our model apparently &the person that was showing us it told us it rattles. Fed up researching. Why is it so complicated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back